WSGV updates

the mitsuwa supermarket on las tunas near the san gabriel medical center now has a

set up next to the cashiers offering goodies for sale.

and i think i already mentioned this, but asian chain pepper lunch recently opened a branch at main & garfield.

speaking of asian chains, greedy cat expanded to alhambra on main about a year ago.

and on the other side of garfield on main, another new hot pot spot is opening.

next to baja cali fish & taco

1 Like

the LA times did a review on dolans’ (according to the article, the owner/chef uses the word dolans interchangeably with uyghurs, whch answered a question i’d had since i saw the sign).

i think jonathan gold would have approved of the review. i’m excited to see what the LA times is going to do with their revamped food section. their other review this week was for a yucatan place down in (?) OC (i think).

1 Like

Explains why this Dolan’s Uyghur has nothing to do with Dolan’s Uyghur in Virginia.

1 Like

in that vein: beijing pie house on main in alhambra is now open

at

(i know what you’re thinking: why can’t the pics of the food be this nice?)

across the street the

has become the grand closing

i am assuming the same for asian chain greedy cat which shared the space. the industry location lasted longer. i think the redondo beach location is still there. kao yu fish and skewers - gone.

i watched a would be patron walk up to the door and looked surprised when the door was locked.

so many places change hands so quickly on this stretch of main between atlantic and garfield it’s really hard to keep track. i should try this branch of BPH before it closes.

3 Likes

Sing Tao Newspaper reported in today’s newspaper that Ocean Star Seafood in Monterey Park has shuttered.

A Yelp review posted 3 days ago said that Good Brothers Garden that’s next to Tak Shing Co.at Garvey & Garfield in Monterey Park has become a noodle place. If that’s true, then Good Brothers Garden lasted only a mere 5-6 months…

i don’t even remember what GBG was offering on their menu.

speaking of comings and goings. hijiri (japanese) recently opened at main & 6th in alhambra, but they’re already (temporarily?) closed.

also, the most recent version of @JThur01 's (largely W)SGV updates is up on eater. the most interesting announcement IMO was the reopening of wang jia taking over the emperor noodle location - giving people another reason to visit the mission/las tunas intersection. are they the original owners of wang jia who opened shanghai bistro down in elmonte?

That was a big surprise to me too. Unfortunately, my level of Chinese isn’t good enough to be able to ask “Original Wang Jia or Shanghai Bistro?” (though I can ask parts of that) So, if anyone can do that intel, I’d appreciate it. I’d lean to it being the last operators of Wang Jia though.

Can I be your ride-along interpreter/poison taster?

2 Likes

i probably need a poison taster more than jim

i’d like to try it sometime soon, mainly to see if the outline of “whatever” is obscured by the new signage.

mr dragon noodle house which replaced the rosemead branch of chengdu taste is allegedly a branch of p p pop (which is near the intersection of garfield & garvey in MP). but with higher prices.

What is p p pop?

very reasonably priced taiwanese place on garfield in the space occupied by luk yue back in the 90’s.

I miss Luk Yue. They made some of the best HK style wok stir fried noodles (egg and rice). Tiny location in Chinatown back in the ‘80s, and they usually have a line out the door waiting for a table. Then they moved to Monterey Park and fizzed out by the midd-2000s…

i usually went for jook on friday nights back in the 90’s.

new korean place yuk dae jang recently opened slightly east of the las tunas/mission intersection.in (i think it’s san gabriel) their offerings include bo ssam $13.99 single order & platters for $29.99 & $39.99.

according to yelp meilong village in prospect plaza has closed.

Hilton Plaza is really going through changes. Ajisen Ramen has closed, Kung Fu Hot Pot looks like it might be down for the count. Rent increase? Shandong Dumplings is now the oldest restaurant tenant, going back to 2013, with Shanghai Dumpling House second oldest (2014).