WSGV updates

When fried corn from two adjacent resturants were mentioned in the same sentence, I want to find out what I am missing.
On Cui Hua Lou’s Yelp page’s photo menu. There is a #85 stewed corn but no fried corn listed in any of the photo menus. However, there is a photo of a Fried corn dish on yelp.

. Is this the dish?
I also did not find ‘mao cai and fried corn’ among the A-K online to-go menu for ‘Meet with Chengdu’ on the Beyond Menu site. There was also no corn in any photos on MwC’s yelp photo collection.
How does one order the real ‘Fried Corn’ from these 2 restaurants?

I just ask for it. I’ve never used a menu at those places, or most Chinese places in SGV.

I think ipse can walk into any restaurant and order anything he wants and get away with it. I imagine him saying: 給我一隻豬的頭, 但只有一隻合適的豬! and pulling it off (hope I got that right, I’ll translate later :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Getting better with the Mandarin, Jim! Excellent!
You don’t need the ’ 的 ’ in the above phrase. ’ 隻豬頭 ’ works fine (it’s implied that the heads belong to ’ die Schweine ')…

2 Likes

Thanks J.L. I should have remembered what the Chinese teacher told us about meat always being considered pork unless otherwise specified. One student asked: “How do you say beef?” Teacher replied: “Oh, you don’t need to know that.” :smiley:

Now, to translate for folks: basically I wrote that I could see ipse walking into any SGV restaurant and saying: “Bring me the head of a pig! But, only a proper pig.” :smiley:

1 Like

That was only in half-jest. Beef is 牛肉 (as I’m sure you already know)…

Oh yeah, he started chuckling after he said that :slight_smile: It provided a good starting point for a discussion about pork being the de facto meat and how beef was mainly in the south and northwest, but has made inroads into other parts of China. It was good to have a teacher with a sense of humor.

For what it’s worth. At least in the textbook, we only learned pork and chicken :smiley:

1 Like

apparently you have less regard for kam hong garden. i’m not sure if the quality level of the noodles has gone down (and they no longer offer knife cut noodles,) or that so many other good noodle places has arisen so that the bar has been raised. their noodles are still pretty tasty, but the un-eveness of the noodles contributed to an un-evenness in the degree of being cooked. having said that, they now add a bit of sesame sauce or somesuch to the noodle with tomato and egg that ups the ante (i think liang’s/cindy’s does the same).

more interestingly, kam hong offers a vegetarian roll to mollify those who can’t enjoy a beef roll.

it’s quite tasty but sadly, the liquid from the vegetables soaked through fairly quickly and got the pancake all soggy.

i think it’s worth trying.

My go-to these days for tomato/egg noodle soup is at LaoXi (i.e., the Wife’ Special Noodle)

Some of the HK places splash some hot melted butter on their tomato/egg noodle soup. Movie popcorn anyone?

1 Like

that’s a good one too. a touch of vinegar maybe?

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that (assuming it was the intention)., the egg on the egg/tomato noodle was fried to the texture of reconstituted dried bean curd sheets. i thought the contrast of texture was interesting.

the jthur01 december article on eater featured cheese teas. nothing else since november, so:

1. luscious dumplings (on las tunas) apparently has renamed itself one one dumpling.
  2. new pho ga place (about 6 months) ‘pho go district’ on san gabriel just north of garvey. parking is awful.,
1 Like

Unusually clear pictures!

4 Likes

Funny you should mention this barry, the next one should be up any moment now.

The cheese tea piece was assembled earlier and showed up in the year in review coverage.

I had a ridiculous schedule in December, ranging from waiting on the landlord, repairmen and deliveries, to attending a couple of writing related get-togethers. All of which added up to keep me from making my trips down to the SGV.

Pho Ga District was mentioned in the August 2016 update. Yeah, that’s a bad lot, always best to find street parking. I also find it rather interesting that there are now 4 dumpling houses connected with Luscious Dumplings, yet each have their own names.

Ktown is sprouting cheese tea places like 'shrooms after a heavy downpour.

i confess that they weren’t mine.

Somehow, I’m not surprised. As you’ve probably noticed in the SGV, not long after the chains arrived, some of the locals got in on the cheese tea craze as well. The same goes for other chains that hadn’t joined in. I noticed Bake Code has added a couple cheese foam teas to their drinks menu.

Hahahahahaha

1 Like

i didn’t scratch off any watermarks or anything representing the pics as my own.

and it is: The Baked Catfish at San Gabriel Phong Dinh Returns, and More SGV News - Eater LA

2 Likes

on my way to old country cafe for a pork chop rice i noticed a place a couple of blocks west on valley that hasn’t been open all that long. seems to be a hot pot place dinner only called white prawn.