2/26 is last one, we have a mini-meet going. FTC meetup Friday 9/25 at Warehouse Sale?

I also got frozen cooked lobster meat for lobster rolls…because that’s how most lobster shacks in New England does it! Lol.

4 Likes

ha, heard that on the sporkful.

2 Likes

Me too, and thinking back on my trip to Maine, don’t doubt it one bit—these tiny road side shacks serving hundreds of rolls with only one or two employees. No way they cook fresh lobsters.

3 Likes

My money is on those lobster heads for stock.

I’m so glad you posted what you cooked @hppzz. I was thinking that would be fun but wasn’t sure if I should.

1 Like

What?!! I only lived in NE for 10 years and waitressed for some of them… but what do I know? It makes total sense!

2 Likes

Will try it as soon can find good source for some split top buns, preferably brioche. I have affinity for butter CT style but no problems with mayo either.

2 Likes

@hppzz I just saw on Tock / Connie & Ted’s sells a six pack of their split top buns for $6.00.

https://www.exploretock.com/connieandteds/experience/246580/menu/pick-up-saturday-january-9-2021-saturday-pick-up

3 Likes

good to know, thank you!

1 Like

Right before quarantine, on our last visit to Trader Joes we saw that they are now carrying brioche split top hot dog buns.

And they are FAB!!! Since we tried these just on a whim… we got one pack… once I get my negative test (please come NAOW) I will be headed to TJ’s and getting a couple of packs as they froze up very well.

Here it is toasted… the brioche really took to butter and light toasting. It did not have that slight sweet taste that can distract from the King’s Hawaiian Rolls (It never really bothered us since we usually add sweet relish to our hot dog and like a little sweetness to our Shrimp, crab and lobster rolls too)

10 Likes

Looks legit, nice job searing buttered bun!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been buying these at Whole Foods and they are quite expensive and often sold out. I’ll have to try TJ.
Hope you are feeling better.

1 Like

I got the giant box of lobster shells & heads. Oh Lordy.

The possibilities of frozen uncooked lobster heads were rolling around in my mind… just not the practicalities. If I had thought of the latter I might’ve passed. Glad I didn’t.

I made Lobster Bisque with stock from scratch.

STOCK

Just one of two big bowlfuls. Aren’t they ugly? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

They came intact and needed pounding into small shards. I didn’t go that far but did crack & pound enough for my arms to be tired and frozen - they keep stuff in below zero temps and even after sitting in my kitchen overnight they were frozen together and needed prying apart.

Now there’s that pretty red.

Shells fried in batches in super hot vegetable oil until red.

Shallots, Leaks, Celery, Fennel, Garlic, Brandy, Wine

Removed shells and sautéed Aromatics, Brandy, White Wine, stirred in Tomato Paste, returned Shells & Water.

Remarkably, you’re supposed to bring to a hard boil then only simmer for 15 minutes or else it gets murky. I went a little longer because I had a cajillion times more shells than the recipe, but still went a tad too long and it lost a bit of this pretty color and brightness, but thankfully didn’t destroy it. Let’s just say it was a tad more ocean-y.

A bowl for the foam. Lotsa’ skimming.

Finally, strained everything thru a strainer & cheesecloth, cooled, jarred & fridged for a couple of days… because I needed a break. Don’t ask what we did with the 2 bagfuls of shells & carcasses.

BISQUE

Sautéed Butter, Leeks, Sweet Onion, Garlic, S & P then stirred in Chopped Whole Campari Tomatoes & Tomato Paste, Thyme Sprigs, Bay Leaf, Paprika & Cayenne then Brandy, Sherry & Lobster Stock, generous S&P then boil & simmer 30 minutes.

Removed Thyme & Bay Leaf & strained. Puréed, let cool 15 minutes, whisk together Cream and Cornstarch (I used Instant Potato Flakes), stirred into bisque, boil, simmer, stirring until thickened slightly.

Butter poached & chopped Lobster (also from wh sale)

Bisque!

Croutons

I told hubs if it isn’t good just love me enough to lie to me. No need. It was fan-f-ing-tastic! :hearts:

I used Eric Ripert’s stock recipe and Ms Martha Stewart’s bisque recipe and followed both strictly with just a tweak here & there. And I will never do this again on that scale unless I can borrow one of their line cooks and a scullery maid or dude.

Thanks for reading my journey. :slightly_smiling_face:

Happy Eating!

23 Likes

I need the ability to like this like… 50 more times,… AT LEAST!! Great job!

4 Likes

hi @TheCookie

wow I’m exhausted just reading what you had to do. looks so good :relaxed:

1 Like

Aw shucks! :relaxed: Lol. Thanks!!!

1 Like

You shoulda’ been there for the cleanup. :grin: I will never nitpick over a bowl of restaurant bisque again!

2 Likes

Shoutout to @Jase for the PSA and the pro-tips, and @hppzz for the mention of lobster heads! I was like a dog with a bone. And you’re right! All those shells produced 3 quarts of stock at best.

4 Likes

Looks great! Actually just use some frozen lobster stock to make bestias uni spaghetti rustichelli

10 Likes

Next up! :grin:

1 Like

Swung by there today on a whim since I was driving through the area. Looks like they may be stopping this. The guy there said they’ve started getting some business again from cruise lines along with less traffic from retail shoppers like us. Apparently some cruise lines have started having their crews on board already and some small groups booked.

He had no idea when they would officially stop but if I was really interested to email him. Otherwise he couldn’t promise anything. I did notice a posting on reddit today that mentioned today might be it.

So take that fwiw. Not much chance left to grab your Sun noodles, foie, lobster, etc. I grabbed a half dozen cans of Heinz baked beans in tomato sauce, since I rarely see that elsewhere. They have it for $1.50 a can or a case of 12 for $15 which is cheaper than when I do see it available

Also grabbed another pack of the fully cooked octopus tentacles.

Anyway, I might try to put together one last big run next Friday if I have the time and he says they’re open. He said to check in with him next week if I did decide to go.

4 Likes