85°C in West Hollywood Closed Already

They opened at the beginning of April and shuttered by mid-May. The have a note taped to the front door saying that they’re closed temporarily but they’ve already removed their signage. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Unless you’re serving vitamins or catering to the LGBTQ or out of town clientele you will not survive that stretch of Santa Monica.

1 Like

I didn’t even know there was an 85 Degrees in Weho.

1 Like

Serving Asian baked goods in a predominately white, low carb-eating area. What could go wrong?

5 Likes

white people only eat white people baked goods?

1 Like

white people don’t order enough asian baked goods to sustain an asian baked goods store in WeHo

2 Likes

I guess they thought they might get some of their business from Gaysians who live or visit WeHo everyday…

A bit off topic (but only a bit)… I sort of wonder what the (changing) demographics of WeHo are. 15 yrs ago, I did not feel particularly welcome there as a Gaysian. Things may (and probably are, hopefully) very different there now. But there are some of us who actively try to avoid the area for reasons unrelated to food…

Maybe, actually. @SpockSpork (who is white) has found many Asian desserts (which I guess would include pastries?) to be rather off-putting. I think we grew up w/ such different versions of sweetness (not just in terms of intensity but in terms of type) and associate sweetness w/ some level of “comfort” that trying to adjust to a different dessert/pastry paradigm sort of defeats the purpose.

At any rate, I also didn’t know there was an 85 Deg in WeHo and am confused as to why the company felt they needed one in Century City and WeHo. I also enjoyed it the first time I tried it but thought it was kind of gross the second time. So…

2 Likes

Off-topic, but I always read your name as:

Paranoid Garlic Clover. Like a lucky four-leaf clover. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I hear ya! WeHo seems to be friendlier to Gayasians these days. I have a group of friends who enjoy hanging out there every other weekend.

I just learned a new term.

1 Like