A Brooklyn NY Pizza Transplant in Culver City - Roberta's [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

13 Likes

I was surprised you didn’t give up at least after the fourth visit.

4 Likes

Ouch, I think I pay a more reasonable $12-14 during their seasonal pop-ups in NYC.

3 Likes

As usual CS doing God’s work.

4 Likes

Just a couple of things. Neapolitan is totally soft and sloppy and gloppy to eat and porchetta is very much a toothsome thing in Italy, often served as a coldcut even. It’s just roasted pork. You likely already know this but I thought it’s important to point out.

I’d like to still try this spot but that price and your disappointing experiences sounds upsetting, have been to the popups

1 Like

As usual, fantastic reports - I appreciate the details and your comments.

Unfortunately this is like so many “creative” dishes in restaurants nowadays - they don’t eat well, because the proportions / ability to get the intended mouthful are compromised. Poor execution and it makes you think, “did they even try to eat this themselves?”

I wish places would not just stop at how ingredients sound or even how flavors might work but rather continue thinking through to how the dish eats.

Judging by your descriptions of the burger, lazy salad pizza, and the out-of-balance pastas, when I saw that they had a dry-aged duck dish this made total sense.

Sometimes concept gets in the way of execution. At that point, I’d rather just have well-done classics. I haven’t been to this Roberta’s or the NYC one, but I had been thinking of trying it on my next trip, and your report, as usual, is super helpful.

2 Likes

Hi @Nemroz,

Thanks. Yah, we’ve enjoyed Neapolitan style pies before, and definitely understand the soft center aspect. It’s just these pies felt like they were soaked in fat and oil (not because of, say, the tomato sauce). It also felt a bit inconsistent at times, we had some of the pizzas on various visits not soggy wet, and other times they were. Might have just been different pizzaiolos perhaps?

I have to say that I have really enjoyed the pizza’s but I haven’t really been interested enough to try most of the rest. I’d say the best way to enjoy Roberta’s is to sit at the bar, share a couple pizza’s sample cocktails / wine. Bartenders are friendly wine is natural so make sure you ask so you don’t end up with something that tastes like lemonade

Thanks @aaqjr. We definitely liked it more than Pizzana, and for the area, it’s a standout. What were your favorite flavors?

I believe you, I haven’t tried them and it’s upsetting to me to hear. The second I saw that it’s not just about great pizza I was already suspicious

1 Like

Zero hearts from you. Says it all for me.

5 Likes

Jesus wept.
I feel like they were hitting okay during the pop ups and the early days of the CC restaurant.
What you’re writing about is . . . failure. Expensive failure.

1 Like

I really enjoy the Bee Sting but other than that my move is usually to ask about specials it seems like they often have at least 2 sometimes they may even have a couple pies worth of ingredients of an old special pizza that you won’t know about unless you ask (I find bartenders are better sources of info than waiters) I remember one with tallegio that was excellent.

1 Like

The restaurant made it medium well (reads tough) when I went and the skin was incredibly chew (no doubt dry aging it made it more so). Not a good dish.

1 Like

yeah, chow seeker, amazingly detailed and extensive report…ive been twice and had the bee sting but begged off the honey…very enjoyable…also very loud…and expensive…if I’m there and iso pizza id go back but as you said, pizza in LA aint what it used to be…too much good pizza to frequent a place with any drawbacks…pizzana’s off my radar after an annoying experience so for now I’m going to Mario Vollera’s South End, Mozza, Superfine in DTLA or Triple Beam in Highland Park…Dig it!

2 Likes

@lapizzamaven South End looks very good. You’ve been holding out on us. Its on my list.

3 Likes

Despite the okay reviews, I’ll say that the pizzas look gorgeous. Those are some of the brightest looking pizzas I’ve seen on this site. The ingredients looks real fresh, even by LA standards.

If you live nearby I can see giving them more chances.

I’d just get a margie and see how their basics are. Pics do look good

1 Like

Second South End. It’s been mentioned by @lapizzamaven before (and I believe I seconded then, too!)
I’m not saying anyone should necessarily drive out for it, but it’s an excellent westside option for a Mozza-like take on pizza.

1 Like