A Chef-Driven, Neighborhood Pastrami Stand - Johnny's West Adams (+ Impromptu Pastrami Battle! Langer's vs. Johnny's vs. Brent's Deli vs. Ugly Drum) [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

No no! :slight_smile: You made it over to LA a few times already recently! :wink: (And if you didn’t know, Langer’s was only ~9 - 10 minutes away from Johnny’s which you made it to.) I’m looking forward to the day you get to try Langer’s Pastrami!

1 Like

Hi @RedDevil,

Thanks for the info! What are the re-heating instructions for the Rye Bread? I’m curious how to re-create the softness (steamed) that you get when eating at Langer’s. Thanks!

Glad they caught the A-Hat Twat-Wad that started the Mozza Fire.

6 Likes

In my experience the bread does not travel so well, no better than the best rye I can find locally. They won’t ship you the pastrami without bread but I would not order more than one loaf.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999, An instruction sheet is provided with your order. I don’t remember the exact instructions and don’t want to misremember, but when I’ve followed them, the quality of both the bread and pastrami hasn’t been significantly different from my in person visits. I have frozen the bread and pastrami also with good results. I order from them at least twice per year but as with all things food your results may vary.

2 Likes

A couple of days ago, LA Taco weighed in on the new Johnny’s vs old:

5 Likes

It was interesting, but while I was waiting for my food last week, at least half the people waiting were talking about wanting the old Johnny’s sandwich but willing to give the new spot a try.

“We’ll see” was heard often.

2 Likes

that’s still my opinion at this point. It seems like from the posts that there’s a quality control issue and I’m still on the fence about the bread. If I recall, you thought it was “smoked meat” vs “pastrami” too. While I do like smoked meat, and I did like Ugly Drum’s pastrami (but not the too soft bread) when I tried it @ Smorg…I may still get over there to try it out…but not rushing over any time soon

2 Likes

Yikes! Probably too much dirty smoke and too fast which creates an acrid flavor much like lighter fluid.

And agree, Langer’s is reigning champ still, I literally could not stop eating my last sandwich and poof, it was gone!

1 Like

Yeah. Things got kinda heated on the old neighborhood groups. There was quite the uproar when they discovered the sandwich was on Rye and not on a french roll… LIke I said above… I’m not sure if they always planned to bring the roll back… but the backlash was enough to get them moving on it fast. Other than the actions above with friends… they have been making genuine attempts at being good neighbors from local hiring, to inviting nay sayers over…

The LA Taco article seems to reporting on the gripes that were on our pages when they first opened sans the roll sandwich. It’s settled down a bit…

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Today I was in the area so I was FINALLY able to convince wifey and the “kid” that we needed Langer’s.

I told you I was unworthy.

It was 4:10p, I THOUGHT they closed at 5:00p.

:cry:

Alas, poor Pimpin’

4 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Nooo…! :sob: So close, yet 10 minutes late! Darn it. :frowning: I really hope you get a chance to try Langer’s. So worth it!

1 Like

“Great at pimpin, p4 at time management”

Hopefully you get to try it next time!

2 Likes

OT: But too interesting not to post. The origin of the Rueben sandwich.

4 Likes

I guess this is a reason to visit Omaha besides to see why Peyton Manning likes it so much.

2 Likes

my friend was highly disturbed by all the spider webs on bottom of ALL the tables in the patio. She told them and one employee said “well it’s that time of year.” LOL. she was not happy.

2 Likes

Alert the media, @Chowseeker1999

I’m here. (Langers)

Plain ole Pastrami and mustard on its way.

10 Likes

Pickles, potato salad, russian dressing on the side.

2 Likes

PICS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN!!! :wink:

Hope you enjoy it!

3 Likes

I’m driving so I cannot do anything other than tell you that it was fucking amazing. I ate the whole thing in probably seven minutes flat.

Maybe I’ll get pizza wagon for dessert LOL

10 Likes