A Chef-Driven, Neighborhood Pastrami Stand - Johnny's West Adams (+ Impromptu Pastrami Battle! Langer's vs. Johnny's vs. Brent's Deli vs. Ugly Drum) [Thoughts + Pics]

No room for the famous #19?

1 Like

The number 19 would’ve been a respectable third choice for me. The second choice, though, would’ve been the pastrami Rueben. Believe me if I hadn’t been driving away while eating, I would’ve turned around and gotten some other stuff too. :joy:

Yeah, you all are right on.

I thought I wouldn’t like the soft bread as described. But it does indeed go great with that perfect pastrami.

Tender, juicy, just fatty enough. The spice blend is not too peppery, just smokey enough, and you can taste the clove and I think I detected allspice.

Yeah. This is perfection, except maybe could use another 1/2 pound of meat!! :slight_smile:

Best part is my car has pickle juice all over the passenger seat so I can enjoy the smell of deli whenever I drive.

21 Likes

The #19 is a crime against gastronomy. Take the spectacular combination of perfect pastrami and perfect bread (it’s not exactly soft since it’s dense enough to maintain its structural integrity) and slop on some mediocre industrial cheese and cole slaw? For god’s sake, why? You might as well add lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.

4 Likes

The reigning champ defends the belt with a KO! Glad you enjoyed your first experience at Langers, makes me want to grab some myself.

4 Likes

The “Sky high” sandwich is our jewish version of BBQ. LOL!

Like the Carolinas, slaw is a fitting topping.

Grew up in the Jewish hood, this was common amongst my folk. Not my favorite, but it ain’t bad either.

Though the cheese should be real Swiss.

3 Likes

I like the 19 and straight up with mustard. I usually go with a friend and split it, so I can get both.

5 Likes

When I go with a friend, one of orders the corned beef. The Corned Beef at Langers is not as good to the Pastrami… but it’s still SUPER good and it’s harder to find even decent corned beef in L.A.

–Dommy!

5 Likes

And a Chocolate Egg Cream to drink or Doc Browns.

3 Likes

I always wanted to try the Corned Beef at Langers.

I only know of Langers and that place at Original Farmers Market

1 Like

My wife and i will split a Pastrami and a Tuna Melt.

8 Likes

Magees is very good. But the bread they use is kinda MEH. Langers just kills it with the amazing corned beef AND that bread!! Honestly, with how much a sandwich at MaGees costs… if you get the hankering for some of their corned beef… a tastier option is their Corned Beef Hot Dog. DELISH!

2 Likes

As long as we are listing our Langer’s favs:

1. The #19: I agree with @robert. I think this a “face only a mother could love” sandwich. If it doesn’t hit a nostalgia nerve, plain pastrami on rye is wayyyy better.

2. Corned Beef & Tongue on Kaiser Roll: I got this for the first time the other day. (I think @Chowseeker1999 highlighted this combo in one of their posts.) Oh boy. That sandwich was incredible.
    We got 1 Pastrami on Rye and one of these and split. The Corned Beef & Tongue disappeared faster than the Pastrami on Rye.

Edit: Found a pic!

10 Likes

Ditto. Tuna melt, pastrami and well done fries.

2 Likes

Oooohh tongue!

2 Likes

Or how about, you have a life? Just because you make it to L.A. doesn’t mean Langer’s is convenient or your priority or the people you’re with. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It might be good if they used first-rate cole slaw and cheese rather than cheap Sysco-level stuff like you could get at any crap deli.

I didn’t have any slaw… So I can’t judge. Bad slaw is ridiculous as it’s so easy to make.

Come to think of it I think I had stage fright when they answered the phone. LOL. I didn’t order slaw, or fries, or potato salad.

Yeah, man. Just enjoy it.

3 Likes

Y’all are a crime against humanity. Can’t a person enjoy a sandwich the way they want? Good Lord. Just give the guy a like.

P.S. Your sandwich looks great @Starchtrade.

10 Likes

Ok, I guess you don’t really know me :joy:

1 Like