A Hainan Chicken Rice Journey - Savoy, Mee & Greet, Cluck2Go, Side Chick, Green Zone, Tasty Food, Auntie Ping [Thoughts + Pics]

All this chicken rice talk got me craving for some. Remember spotting a nice chicken offered at the local supermarket yesterday.

20180903_164808
20180903_165310

Remaining stash, just enough for one dinner
20180903_172128

Sauteing uncooked rice with ginger, garlic chicken fat mixture
20180903_172650

Shocking in ice bath
20180903_175557
20180903_180752

2 hours later. Finished product (a tad too much soy sauce on the beansprouts and chicken)
IMG_20180903_192458_020
IMG_20180903_192417_002

18 Likes

I adore the fact that your plate comes with offal!

3 Likes

When will your Chicken Rice restaurant open up?

5 Likes

Which market??

1 Like

Is that suppose to be Ipoh (Malaysia) style bean sprouts?

Mine was drowned in too much sauceā€¦ should look more like this - note the short stubby body of Ipoh sprouts.

eataly nyc

1 Like

When I lived in the area, I went on a Little Saigon chicken rice spree, my favorite out of maybe 15 places was at Kang Lac Bakery, for what thatā€™s worth to anyone

But that was several years ago

4 Likes

This is a really good thread.

2 Likes

I would like to disclose I have not been running the kitchen at Side Chick for several months now as I embark on other projects, therefore I have no influence on the quality of food anymore. While Iā€™d love to find a new venue to pursue perfecting chicken rice I have nothing planned for now.

8 Likes

I missed your dai pai dong pop up when is the next one?

Btw Is your sweet sour pork made with hawthorne, haw flakes, and preserved plums?

We got bait & switched yā€™all, Japanese ramen-ya style.

4 Likes

Wherefore art thou, Sergio?

1 Like

No more popups for a few months as I head to Chicago to open a new shop for a few months.

And no I donā€™t use haw flakes for sweet and sour pork, I didnā€™t even know that was a thing.

Only one place in Hong Kong that I know of uses the hawthorn (3 types: fresh fruit, haw flakes like in the candy, and dried hawthorn sticks, in addition to the typical ingredients) for their nuanced sweet and sour pork, Tak Lung in Sun Po Kong, and they use pork belly I believe instead of pork shoulder.

The pickled sour plum addition for sure is part of the recipe at Luk Yu Tea House (Hong Kong) but itā€™s such a small amount.

Using hawthornes and pickled sour plum might be a bit overkill if itā€™s not controlled properly.

Is it your restaurant?

It was. Article from 2016ā€¦

2 Likes

No.

Took the abbreviated Hainan Chicken exploration route. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

That looks bomb. Whereā€™s that? HK or Macau?

Oh man! Imagine if that came with three packets of dipping sauces . . .

1 Like