A Hainan Chicken Rice Journey - Savoy, Mee & Greet, Cluck2Go, Side Chick, Green Zone, Tasty Food, Auntie Ping [Thoughts + Pics]

7-11 in Tainan Taiwan. They usually have some fun stuff. A couple more.

image image

3 Likes

I :heart: salted eggs!

1 Like

So do we!! Cuttlefish and Bitter Melon in Cejin Island, Kaohsiung.

More crisps, from Singapore.

image image

image image

5 Likes

:scream::heart_eyes: I need those in my life!

Salted Duck Egg Yolk Crispy Fish Skin Chips?! :open_mouth:

Because Asia.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 get the hot bomb

4 Likes

Never been here but the OC Weekly writes up a place in Santa Ana. Says its the best in the OC. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

https://ocweekly.com/the-chicken-rice-in-santa-ana-specializes-in-hainan-chicken-rice/

1 Like

Seems popular enough on yelp…

But then I see pictures like this…

Also, ICYMI:

Before becoming an award-winning restaurant critic for OC Weekly in 2007, Edwin Goei went by the alias “elmomonster” on his blog Monster Munching, in which he once wrote a whole review in haiku.

Wasn’t elmo on Chowhound?

3 Likes

In the review Edwin did mention that they added more non authentic versions. I did not know he was elmomonster but I do remember reading his blog.

That fork sticking up out of the rise makes me queasy. So wrong.

1 Like

Death to all other hainan rice vendors in the OC!!!

seems more like thai version, khao mun gai, esp with that fermented soybean sauce on top.

1 Like

Went to the newish Diamond Bar Cluck2Go today and, while there were no dry rice issues, the rice was not nearly as flavorful as I remember it being in Singapore. The chicken itself was fine and I thought it was a pretty massive portion. I think one of the more interesting things to me in having the dish in SE Asia was that I ended up liking the rice more than the chicken. Here, the chicken is definitely the star.

I concur with @Chowseeker1999 that it’s a solid option, but perhaps not something I’d go out of my way to seek out. Luckily, it’s not far out of my way :slight_smile:

1220 S Diamond Bar Blvd Ste.C, Diamond Bar

1 Like

Goel mentions this place in his writing but I didn’t see a review. They’ve opened two locations very near me but I haven’t tried it yet. Is anyone familiar enough and able to place Yang’s in this topic’s discussion?

Thank you for this amazing journey into the world of Hainan Chicken. Now, since you guys did this ‘crawl’ (lol), have you been to any places in Los Angeles that AREN’T in San Gabriel Valley or the OC (central LA) that you can recommend? :blush:

1 Like

Do you want leads for acceptable chicken and rice, or drive-worthy chicken and rice?

The one place in LA that has a decent one is Siam Sunset (Thai place), but I’m hoping some day LA will have more options!

1 Like