A Japanese Curry Journey - From Americanized to Wonderful - Champion's Curry, Curryfornia, Akane Chaya, Kagura, Sagami, Daichan and Tanakaya, Foo Foo Tei, Midoh (Bonus: Pearl River Deli and Gjelina?!) [Thoughts + Pics]

curry is much more diverse in Japan, but curry + katsu is pretty common there

2 Likes

Midoh maybe a required visit this weekend. Thanks, @Chowseeker1999!

2 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Hope you like it. :slight_smile: (You can bang x bang with Cindyā€™s Kitchen!) :wink: Although if youā€™re getting Tonkatsu, make sure you uncover the fried cutlets so it doesnā€™t steam.

1 Like

YAY!! Glad to see the Foo Foo Tei is still delivering it! OMG. Itā€™s been at least two years since I last visit, bit itā€™s the place that made me fall in love with curry! For completely curry gluttonyā€¦ I recommend The omelet curry rice. The omete is not as lucious as the ones in Youtubeā€¦ but still expertly prepared. Itā€™s so deliciousā€¦ heavyā€¦ but worth the effort to try for curry and omurice fiends.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/foo-foo-tei-hacienda-heights?select=xjtnSw4sI5HL8o-dmBHwoQ

Thanks for the report on Midoh! Itā€™s been on my list and now Iā€™m even more excited to try it! They just opened one up in Sawtelleā€¦ as I havenā€™t been headed east as of lateā€¦

9 Likes

36 posts were split to a new topic: Epic Japanese curry digression

Bless youā€¦ B/c I am NEVER anywhere near Midoh, but the pics look FANTASTIC.

@Chowseeker1999 next time at Midoh try the hamburg steak. That is one of their specialties. Midoh is a gem.

If you are deep in the OC keep Yoko on Beach Blvd on your list. They are a Korean-Japanese place focusing on tonkatsu and soba/udon. Thatā€™s basically the whole menu. They bring out the sesame seeds for you to pound out as well.

6 Likes

I been going to/know of Diamond Plaza for years and never thought once to go there! Itā€™s just when I am thinking of Japanese food I am thinking of South Bay, Sawtelle, Little Tokyo, Ventura Blvd, Costa Mesa/Tustin

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to make you blush @Dommy, but the breadth of your food knowledge is pretty awesome. You take great advantage of living in this great food city. I always learn something. Thanks!

3 Likes

Going off topic, ever tried OoToro in Walnut? 480.8+ content Yelpers

1 Like

I havenā€™t been there but you know what the crazy thing is? I have friend that prefers that place over Mori and she had been to both. :rofl:

I canā€™t vouch for her taste though!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve actually heard really good things about Ootoro from friends - as in high quality fish selection and preparation and not ā€œOMG, they used both eel sauce and sriracha on my California roll!! So innovative!!ā€. A place to try in 2021.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Weā€™ll take any good sushi recommendations near North OC.

@Chowseeker1999 @JLee

I think Iā€™ve gone off topic long enough here! So Iā€™ll check myself out. Thanks for the discussion by the way!

Have you had Noguchi?

In OC though Sushi ii is on my to do list. I always wanted to do the full omakase at Shibucho.

2 Likes

Noguchi is our favorite in North OC. The only other ones we go to in the area are Ohshima and OMG.

Costa Mesa/Newport/Irvine have a lot of better sushi options but driving there is almost the same amount of time as driving to DTLA. Guess which option we usually choose?

3 Likes

Looks like you are in for a treat when Kaneyoshi opens fully in Little Tokyo.

Well after a nice sushi dinner in Costa Mesa the beach is close by for a nighttime walk. Laguna is not too far away. Thatā€™s a bonus for me as a single guy!

The Sushi Temples seem to be all near the Westside

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed Midoh! It truly is a gem for Yoshoku style cuisine. I love the chili paste they give you to make the curry spicier. Also do not miss the hamburg w/ cheese curry, the hamburg is so soft and flavorful. Thanks for info on the katsu-sando, it has eluded me thus far.

And yes, that gyu-tan is so luscious with that rich demi glacƩ.

1 Like

20-08-27 Straight Outta

3 Likes

Thanks for keepinā€™ it so real with us here on FTC, chef. I for one really appreciate that.

1 Like