A Japanese Curry Journey - From Americanized to Wonderful - Champion's Curry, Curryfornia, Akane Chaya, Kagura, Sagami, Daichan and Tanakaya, Foo Foo Tei, Midoh (Bonus: Pearl River Deli and Gjelina?!) [Thoughts + Pics]

@JLee @J_L save this energy for our recording…

2 Likes

I need that shirt lol! I lived in Kanagawa prefecture nice

1 Like

Kagura (Gardena)
Inside the Tokyo Central Market food court is the Kagura stand…and the only location doing katsu. I had read that the Torrance location was not doing katsu takeout…just their other menu items.
After reading @Chowseeker1999’s epic curry/katsu post, I noticed that Kagura hadn’t been included in the update. And I was in the neighborhood for some shopping anyway.
The katsu curry set comes with miso soup. The katsu is bento-boxed on top of rice with compartments for finely shredded cabbage, miso-ginger dressing, pickles, and hot mustard. The curry and soup are in separate containers. I knew this was going to have to be eaten in the car, so I immediately opened the box as soon as I was back in the car.
The katsu was still so crispy and crunchy! I poured the curry on top of a quarter of the katsu to keep things crispy. The curry was rich and tasty. I don’t know if they make the curry themselves, but I thought it was balanced…not too garam Masala-y. It was nice to have the salad and pickles to add acidity and a different kind of crunch in between bites.
It was warm so I saved the miso soup for later. It’s the same miso soup they serve at the restaurant. It’s not to salty or too miso-y and I love all the seaweed pieces in it.
I think this is a worthwhile katsu curry set. So hop on by if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

10 Likes

I had that for dinner last night, unfortunately it suffers when eating it after an hour or so. But it was still a delicious dinner

1 Like

Yeah… Because Tokyo Central’s eating area is closed, we actually park behind the store and often have trunk lunch there. The best way to eat Kagura2Go as of now…

The curry as @attran99 described is quite robust. Almost peppery. The only one I’ve found richer in terms of flavor is the one at Red Rock.

9 Likes

Ummm… what happened to @Chowseeker1999’s Curry report?

1 Like

Curry digression happened, so the thread was amended by Mod.

Go there and click on it. It’s gone baby.

1 Like

@TheCookie is right (which should surprise no one!) - if you scroll to the top, where @Chowseeker1999’s original post was, it now says “duplicate” and nothing else.

1 Like

Most of his posts are deleted now, he’s gone.

3 Likes

Drama!

1 Like

WTF?

4 Likes

This is really disconcerting. They are a needed voice and their posts are epic: I learn so damn much and guess I’m not the only one.

Crap.

6 Likes

That sucks.

I know no one likes to feel attacked, but i thought the discussion was respectful. Maybe I missed something?

7 Likes

What happened?

I agree, I thought the conversation was fine. I doubt he left because of that. Probably some big time place offered him money to write reviews for them and he had to delete all his posts. (No idea if this is true, I’m just being a gossip)

4 Likes

They should, i would rather hope that is the case Gossip away!

1 Like

I never really understood why Tragedy + Time = Comedy.
Who has the time to wait? So I will jump right in.

This probably will not help to convince our greatest poster to return to bloviating here, but the chuckles may help us deal with the pain of separation. And please don’t get me wrong - I LOVE and will deeply miss @Chowseeker1999 ‘s contributions (if they do leave permanently).
We’ve “lost” some great ones over the years @kevin, @bulavinaka, @ipsedixit etc, and now, apparently, @Chowseeker1999
[LOST is in quotes because, while the dearly departed clearly do depart, they appear to tenaciously retain their account names - for lurking or, perhaps, a most-hoped-for future return :grinning:]

My favorite line of the whole debate

The Chowseeker Manifesto

1: I am not - and never was - Exile Kiss

2: Brevity is NOT the soul of wit

3: Thick skin is for elephants, critics’ skin must be diaphanous; self deprecation is the road to ruin.

4: The post may be greater then the poster

5: (feel free to add)

13 Likes

Welcome back!

4 Likes

Thank you, @CiaoBob, for so eloquently stating what should to be said. I will miss our friend, @Chowseeker1999, too.

5 Likes