A Master Class in Exquisite, Wonderful Sushi - Mori Sushi [Thoughts + Pics]

Thank you for these awesome photos!
Looking at the knife work I assume Maru-san was your itomae?
This is the excellence we have come to expect from Mori sushi.
I must admit that the prices seem to have gone up. A similar meal was about $220-240 only about a year ago.

1 Like

Hi @NYCtoLA,

Nice report, glad you had a great experience. :slight_smile: I loved their Iwashi when we last went (about a month+ ago). Glad itā€™s still in season! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Good eye, yes, I always ask to sit in front of Maru-San.
I agree though, such a meal used to be in the $2s, but now it regularly crosses the $3s :confused:

Thanks! Yes, Maru-San mentioned that they donā€™t usually serve iwashi at this point, but it was so fatty and rich that he is still serving it.

1 Like

How was this?

BTW, excellent report!

Quick question and would appreciate the expertise. Gf and I went last night and asked/sat in front of Maru-san. For background, weā€™ve frequented mori for about 6-7 years when we are in town and Maru generally serves us. Soā€¦last night the wasabi was very overpowering throughout the meal. This started with the first piece and continued for the duration of the nigiri. My gf wondered this morning, given the price involved, if we should have said something? We did not, I didnā€™t want to offend Maru and maybe was just an off night. Whatā€™s the proper response in such a scenario? Thanks in advance!

Definitely let your itamae know what your preference is.

1 Like

It was great! Second time Iā€™ve had it at Mori. Many people like the full on richness of uni straight up, but I like it cut with nori, and in this case, the freshness and starchiness of the mountain yam really complemented the rich brininess of the SB uni.

3 Likes

The Golden Age of Chirashi is upon us.

16 Likes

Soft opening? Does that mean they are taking orders? Looks amazing.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always been a huge fan of Mori. Whatā€™s the pricing gonna be like?

2 Likes

Love the big slices of fish on that chirashi, great report @Chowseeker1999. Any idea when this will be available?

2 Likes

I sense another ftc bang migration point.

6 Likes

Beautiful! That make your own temaki from the chirashi, looks like lots of tasty fun! Iwashi and saba, nuff said! That ume-shiso maki sounds absolutely stunning! What a perfect way to end it!

1 Like

Hi @Omotesando, @PorkyBelly,

Maru-san is still tinkering and finessing Takeout, so he was thinking in a few weeks (June). Iā€™ll update when I hear more. :slight_smile:

(On a side note, if heā€™s still not totally happy with his Takeout and it was this good today, itā€™s going to be crazy when he finally does full opening.)

6 Likes

Ok we need pricing details on this family style chirashi ASAP

2 Likes

Hi @moonboy403,

Maru-san hasnā€™t settled on a final Takeout price yet, so weā€™re respecting his wishes to let him announce final pricing. Hopefully you enjoy the Sushi!

6 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Yah, the big, generous slices for the Family-style Chirashi was eye-opening. It was more than enough for 2 people. Canā€™t wait for you to try it (and Maru-sanā€™s Nigiri)! :blush:

1 Like

Iā€™m so down for an FTC bang.

4 Likes

Oh poohā€¦ now, why would you want to do that? Joking! But seriously, the sourcing and the shari tinkering explains the Michelin, right there. That Iwashi is sooo pretty! It reminds me of silver lamĆ©. :grin: Iā€™m glad you noted the extremely orange salmon, not salmon. I wouldā€™ve kept my mouth (typing finger) closed, because what do I know, but it looked peculiarly, unnaturally orange. I thought hmmm maybe itā€™s a sea trout. The world is right again. :kissing_heart: :sushi:

2 Likes

We could all meet there and eat in and on top of our cars like teens at a drive-in theatre, except with sushi and instead of a movie we just watch each other, like :thinking: so thatā€™s what s/he looks like. I didnā€™t see any mention of sakeā€¦ whoā€™s smuggling that in?

8 Likes