A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

Hi @Srsly,

No, thank you! for the recommendation on El Viejon. I agree that if it was near me, I’d be glad to stop by there regularly instead of the crowds at Tire Shop from time-to-time. :slight_smile:

About Tacos de Canasta vs. Tacos Al Vapor, you might be right. I remember a friend of mine (born in Mexico City, but grew up here), had told me years ago that they were similar terms, but perhaps as you’re pointing out, they might both be steamed in some way, but different preparations (one is the smashed / half moon shape (de Canasta)). Also I thought on the Taco Chronicles TV series they mentioned both terms interchangeably, but I defer to you and @Dommy and other experts on this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Glad you liked Pepe’s Red Tacos. My hubby feels vindicated by your Leo’s assessment. :slightly_smiling_face: But too bad about Mariscos Jalisco. Our good experience probably comes from first having that Shrimp Taco at Tacolandia, where they took special care. We loved it. It’s been a long while but we also loved the taco at their permanent spot. Downhill? Oh and ditto on Loqui!

Happy Taco Eating!

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks for your recommendation. :slight_smile: It is too bad about Leo’s. For Mariscos Jaliscos, we never tried it at Tacolandia, but hearing you talk about it, I’d imagine they did a great version just for that special event. Glad you liked Loqui!

1 Like

Lovely write up and great pics as usual. Glad you liked Chicharroland. I too am a big fan of Villa Moreliana. Looking forward to the next time I can bite into a luscious trompa taco there. It is one of my favorite cuts to get there. A bite of jalapeno after a bite of the taco cuts the richness just right for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the rec @Jase! :slight_smile: I’ll have to try a bite of jalapeno after a bite of Villa Moreliana’s Trompa Carnitas and see how that works (but I’m a chili wimp!). :sweat_smile:

1 Like

La Unica has plans to open up sometime soon

1 Like

And La Unica has been selling out almost daily. You need to get there early my friends!

1 Like

El Ruso nabs Best New Restaurant from Food and Wine

what the

2 Likes

Granted I only went once to El Ruso so probably not a fair assessment but I thought it was okay.

1 Like

Yeah, I like it fine enough and it’s the closest thing to a good taco truck near my work but I think that’s a bit of a stretch. I suppose that’s kind of what they’re trying to do with this though.

1 Like

Their tortilla was superb and loved their chile colorado…their other meats were just okay to me as well.

2 Likes

Truly strange choice.
I also thought they were good, but was not compelled to return. Definitely not “Best restaurant in the entire US” worthy.

Thoughts:

• Not a restaurant
  • Maybe they were charmed by the drive through Boyle Heights to the industrial zone and thought that represented “real” / “authentic” LA street tacos
  • Maybe they chose El Ruso to avoid any #foodandwinesowhite snap back
  • Maybe they chose El Ruso to ignite debate and drive clicks
2 Likes

I too thought the tortillas were good but the meat was just okay/meh…not much marinade, smoke, or salt flavor that I want in a carne asada.

Are my taste buds off?

1 Like

Exact same. Tire Shop wins.

Also of note: I have only been there once, but the atmosphere at El Ruso was very bad, there was some kind of friction between the taquero and his crew. Hopefully it was just a bad day and can be written off, but it made for an uncomfortable experience.

Tire Shop is always a party.

4 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t go as far as meh but the salsa game needs to step up a bit if you’re not going to make the meat shine. I know where they source their meat though and it’s a solid purveyor so iono, I like Walter though, super nice guy.

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

No your taste buds aren’t off. We felt the same:

Very good flour tortilla (Loqui’s handmade flour tortilla and Burritos La Palma’s were better), mediocre Carne Asada (totally overrated). Tire Shop Taqueria, Tacos La Carreta (when they were open), Tacos Los Poblanos were far better.

3 Likes

Totally mind blowing that they would choose el ruso out of all the outstanding taqueros and taquerias in LA. El ruso is good but I’m with the rest of you guys as it to being the best restaurant in American lol :roll_eyes:

Seems like a reactionary and lazy “let’s be inclusive” pick.

1 Like

Has anyone tried this truck?

2 Likes

Anyone other than AD, you mean :laughing:

1 Like