A Taco Journey: Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Pacific Spiny Lobster, and more - Leo's Tacos #2, Tire Shop Tacos, Revolutionario, Ricky's Fish Tacos, Guerrilla, BS Taqueria and more!

Thank you. That’s incredible that they open at 5 am on weekends, wow. The weirdest hours I’ve ever seen.

I really gotta try the place out.

Very excited about trying Loqui out though, handmade flour tortillas really excite me haha

I was at the corner of Central and E 8th at 2 pm Wed. and they were nowhere to be found. When I called the number they said they were closed for the day, Since my Spanish isn’t good and neither was his english, that’s as far as we got.

Hi @Mattapoisett_in_LA,

Bummer. Strangely, I was there last week at around 2 p.m. as well and they were open. Maybe it was a slow day and they packed up?

The hours I got was from the lady who spoke some English and was grilling at the same time.

Hi @Mattapoisett_in_LA,

I swung by and managed to speak with another lady who spoke some English. I was told wrong info the first time. Updated Hours (I’ll update my post):

(Closed Wednesdays)
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri:
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Sat - Sun:
6 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Sorry about that.

1 Like

Graçias Por Todo!

Thanks for updating the hours.

I finally made it there this morning. I was so hungry I didn’t take photos unfortunately. I just repeated your order anyway, so nothing to really report. The habanero salsa was nice, just the right heat level imo.

I’m curious where the beans come from in your photos?

Overall, from the more rustic feeling tortillas (these look like all the tortillas in photos from taco places in Mexico; a fact which I’ll personally check on in about a week lol), to the fresh salsas/guac/veggies, and quite flavorful/unusual meat and veggie taco fillings this place really is like top 5 taco place in LA it seems like to me. Although personally, my favorite was the adobo taco. I haven’t seen anything else like it at any other taco truck.

For variety and quality of food I think they could raise prices from $1.80/taco to $2.50 easily hah.

I would say the barbacoa is good, but they seemed to recommend mixing it with the adobo, which I think probably is best, as otherwise it didn’t seem as smokey as other places, idk if it’s super write home worthy though.

Also, cecina was nice, but I think the cecina is better at Tacos Cuernavaca, however, since they are on almost opposite schedules I guess that doesn’t really matter, it’s always nice to have good cecina.

The chicharron presnado is a super fun/packed taco as well. Real standout you also don’t see.

My only regret is not order a huazontles taco; guess I wanted a reason to return =P

I wonder if their more traditional offerings like pollo/asada/carnitas are worth getting?

1 Like

Hi @Aesthete,

Nice report back. Thanks for your thoughts. :slight_smile:

The Frijoles were in a small heated container near the grill. The lady who was grilling the taco fillings asked if we wanted them or not, and I said only on the ones that traditionally come with it, and she added it on those (it was delicious).

Yah, their prices ($1.xx per taco) seem like a nice bargain still. :slight_smile:

Loved the Chicharron Prensado as well. They were sold out of the Huazontles when we went, so I was bummed about that.

Their standards, I didn’t order because I asked the lady who spoke English and she said the ones to get were the ones I ended up ordering (her recommendations). Thanks.

Epic report!

Thank you.

Reading this for the second time in a long, long time makes me drool tacos. Will be my go to guide before my next taco meal. Great job!

Kogi brick and mortar on Overland in Palms-West LA is now open…
T-S 11-11
Sun 11-9

2 Likes

Nice @wienermobile, thanks for the heads up.

How was it compared to their truck?

@Porthos @Selfportrait93: Thanks. :slight_smile: I can’t for you to try some of these places and give your thoughts.

It just opened today! Will try to get there by Thursday with photos…

2 Likes

Save your money and go to n/naka.

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Hah! For sure. :slight_smile: One day I’ll be able to save up enough and plan out 3 months in advance to get a reservation.

1 Like

That taco has my name all over it. Thanks for the great report as always.

Such fantastically helpful reviews. I love it that you go back for a 2nd shot to ensure consistency. Thanks.

1 Like

What kind of surface is Salazar grilling on? It’s a little hard to tell from the angle of the image, but it appears to be a solid piece of metal that has been pressed into a continuous corrugated surface. If that’s the case, the problem of no smoke is that.

Chowseeker1999, continue your endless Taco journey. You’ve inspired me to make Tacos as part of my weekly diet. I’ve been to Tire Shop Taqueria 4 times now and absolutely loved their Tijuana Style tacos, particularly the Carne Asada con todo. There’s really nothing like having a taco with warm, fresh, handmade corn tortillas. OMG, after the first bite of thiese soft handhelds, the taco experience has been kicked up another notch. Makes me think twice about those store bought, packaged tortillas used by other taquerias. It really does.
I was going to try Tacos Los Poblanos the other night just to compare with Tire Shop but the line was crazy long and we were really impatiently hungry. So we ended up at Tire shop, which was really a no brainer.
La Carreta is also on my list of " to try".
Once again, thank you for your mouth watering reports.
I look forward to reading your next food journey.

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks. Yes! I was thinking of you when we had the Tocino Taco, LOL. That Pork Belly they have at Taco Maria was really, really good. :slight_smile:

Hi @Helper_Monkey,

Thanks. I wish I could go visit more. I’m not as thorough as our veteran FTC’ers or our old Hounds. I can’t afford it, or the time most of the time.

1 Like

Hi @bulavinaka,

I thought they had an open grill, but I saw a flat top part as well I think. The $26 Steak we ordered did have some mesquite smokiness (finally), but not on their Carne Asada Tacos.