'āina - brunch

spam musubi “ssam style” - boston bibb lettuce, stone valley farms whole hog spam, kimchi, short grain rice, egg yolk furikake
This didn’t have the texture or saltiness of real spam but the flavors were really good.

Malasadas - portuguese style doughnuts, coconut sugar, filled with guava custard
Like eating a guava filled sugar pillow on a tropical island

Breakfast Potatoes - kennebec potatoes, aïoli, furikake, compound butter, sunomono, micro mustard greens
Wow, these were delicious. The potatoes were sliced so you have the perfect ratio of crispy outside and fluffy inside. Kind of like waffle fries but better. Get this.

20170805_095452

Kalbi Loco Moco - slow braised kalbi short rib, smoked honshimeji mushroom jus, sunny side up eggs, heart of palm pico de gallo, cilantro, short grain rice, pea tendrils
Pretty good, a touch too salty, doesn’t dethrone animal’s foie gras loco moco though.
20170811_121125

Kalua Pork Belly - stone valley farms pork belly, slow poached eggs, short grain rice, miso roasted brentwood corn, herb salad, gochujang aioli
Eggs were a little undercooked, but loved the perfectly cooked and crispy belly.

3 Likes

This is a favorite spot of mine for brunch in the city.

I recently tried it for dinner and was surprised how much I like it at night. The Saimin noodles were very good.

I’m going to have to try those waffle fries sometime.

2 Likes