Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

Interesting. For whatever it’s worth, their Yelp reviews look really good

1 Like

Their selection of fish looks good, too.

FYI GJUSTA closed until April 5th. A worker tested positive for COVID. Please stay safe. If you visited Gjusta recently be aware of any symptoms.

5 Likes

If you’re looking for amazing smoked salmon while gjusta is closed.

The Joint in the valley has great smoked salmon collar and belly (not a traditional style).

1 Like

If I can make a recommendation: Maury’s, a bagel shop around Silverlake, makes pretty high quality bagel and lox sandwiches, with many toppings. I personally like a jar of trout roe. The owner is a former manager(?) at Gjusta, and the familiarity in taste and style is unavoidable.

Gjelina and Gjusta are among my favorite restaurants in all of the city. The lox plates are certainly some of the most impressive I’ve ever encountered, a platter with a dazzling assortment of garnishes, including the grilled bread made in house. That patio is also just a wonderful place on a sunny day. However, in recent months and years, I’ve noticed as one after another, key members of their staff have decided to go. Finally, with the leave of the driving force of the brand, the head chef, I’m afraid I can’t entirely be sure of the future of the restaurants. You can just feel the spirit of the places have changed. I do hope it stays and returns to its packed house after this is all over.

2 Likes

Update (To-Go):

Gjusta has been open during the pandemic for awhile now. They have a very easy Curbside Pickup option these days, but still allow limited customers to enter to order, or pick up items from their various Pastry, Dessert, Charcuterie, Market Salad cases.

First a couple Lessons Learned (for the To-Go Menu):

• The Tuna Conserva and Veggie Sandwiches do not travel well. :frowning:

They are normally served (when you dine in) on a plate and with their light, airy, excellent Housemade Sourdough or Country Wheat, but being wrapped tightly in paper, the ingredients are smashed together and the bread doesn’t hold up for a car ride home (even on the Westside). (@hanhgry @attran99 @paranoidgarliclover @A5KOBE and others.)

• The amazing Egg Sandwich also does not survive a car ride home with its default packaging. Order it packaged in a box (not their tight Sandwich wrap).

The flavors and taste were all there (very good), but with the tight Sandwich paper wrap (double wrap), they smashed the Egg Sandwich together and broke the Egg Yolk. :cry: We noticed they serve some of their Sandwiches and other items in compostable boxes (which would give the Sandwiches space to sit and not be smashed); we’ll try that next time.

Their amazing Housemade Bread selection (above) (fresh-baked loaves appear throughout the day still). :slight_smile:

Sparkling Ginger Lemonade:

Still as bracing and refreshing as always. Bright, spicy fresh-grated Ginger and effervescence. :blush:

Anchovy Toast:

Delicious! Briny, lovely Anchovies and a great Olive Oil and Herbs on their tasty Housemade Sourdough Bread.

Housemade Bread - Seeded Country Wheat:

After having tried many of our excellent Bakeries around town for their Bread offerings (Republique, Clark Street, Huckleberry and a few others), Gjusta’s selection of Housemade Breads might very well be our favorites and some of the best in the city.

The Seeded Country Wheat is fantastic! The Sesame studding on the outside adds a nuttiness and wonderful aroma, the inside is airy, light, almost “moist” (not dried out) and there’s a deep, light earthiness. So good! :heart: (I’ll leave it up to our Bread Lovers to chime in @paranoidgarliclover @PorkyBelly @J_L @attran99 and others.) :slight_smile:

Pate Baguette (Chicken Liver Pate, Mustard, Pickled Red Onion, Arugula):

Tasty! Their Housemade Baguette has a good chew and structure, the Chicken Liver Pate is lightly mineral, but more meaty and with good Chicken essence and flavor, the Mustard, Pickled Red Onion and Arugula combination helped balance each bite. :slight_smile:

Italian Sandwich (Ciabatta, Sopressa, Mortadella, Ham, Chopped Escarole, Pickled Peppers, Fontina, Aioli, Red Wine Vinegar):

After trying some of the more talked about Italian Sandwiches in the city recently (E. Stretto, Wax Paper, Pizzana), taking a bite of Gjusta’s Italian, and it is clear how much better it is:

The Housemade Sopressa, Mortadella and Ham are incredible! Really good porky flavors, different textures for each cut, not overly salty. The Fontina adds a nice funk, the Chopped Escarole, Housemade Aioli, Pickled Peppers add a nice foil to every bite. SO GOOD! :heart: (@Gr8pimpin @JeetKuneBao @PorkyBelly @A5KOBE and others.)

Banana Cream Pie:

Good, strong Banana flavor with a delicate, silky Cream, a very good, lightly buttery Pie Crust as well. :slight_smile:

Housemade Bread - Sourdough:

Excellent exterior, lightly crusty, giving way to a beautiful Sourdough within! A nice tang, airy, pillowy soft. Outstanding! :heart:

Another To-Go Visit:

Gjusta has added in plexiglass partitions across all their counters, and all their Cake slices are packaged up already (on display) so there’s less handling and cutting throughout the day (less exposure).

Chili Hummus:

Gjusta’s excellent Chili Hummus (always served To-Go) has been a favorite ever since @A5KOBE recommended it awhile back. :slight_smile: While not as revelatory as the elevated versions at Bavel, for a To-Go item, the Chickpeas, Tahini, Cumin, Grapeseed Oil, bit of Lemon combination is delicious, but what takes it over the top is their Housemade Fermented Chili Sauce! Fresno Chilies, Fish Sauce are highlights here and really make this addictive! :blush:

Pastel de Nata (Natas 4 Pack):

YES!!! We had only seen Gjusta’s version of Pastel de Nata (Portuguese Egg Custard Tart) once before the pandemic, and now they’re back! :blush:

While served at room temperature, taking a bite:

Flaky, crispy Pastry shell, a balanced, not overly sweet Egg Custard within, with Vanilla notes, so creamy and smooth. It is INCREDIBLE! :heart: :blush: :heart: (@J_L @PorkyBelly @paranoidgarliclover @A5KOBE @attran99 @TheCookie @JeetKuneBao @CiaoBob @hanhgry and others.)

These are easily the best Pastel de Nata we’ve tried in the city (served at room temperature)! :blush: Do not miss these.

We like Natas Pastries’ version more, when you heat them up at home (piping hot, they are incredible!), and Jim’s Bakery’s Macau Egg Tart (Po Tart) when they arrive right out of the oven, but these are superior to both in that they taste great even at room temperature.

Of course Gjusta excels at yet another seemingly disparate, random item. :wink:

(NEW) Meatball Sandwich (Pork & Beef Meatballs, Burrata, Parmesan, Pomodoro, Ciabatta Baguette):

Gjusta has added a Meatball Sandwich to the menu! :blush: We couldn’t wait…

The Housemade Ciabatta Bread is sturdy but soft enough, a good seasoning in the Bread itself, and then you get a bite of the soft, moist, Beef & Pork Meatballs, that are delicious! :heart: They are not salt bombs, nor overly dense like some versions around town (Gwen), these are almost airy, and the melted Burrata Cheese, the Pomodoro Sauce for some piquant and umami, and you have one of the best Meatball Sandwiches in the city right now! :blush: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @A5KOBE @paranoidgarliclover @CiaoBob @attran99 @Gr8pimpin and others!)

Huckleberry’s Turkey Meatball Sandwich is better, but it is currently not on the To-Go Menu over there. But this is still great. :slight_smile:

Italian Sandwich (Ciabatta, Sopressa, Mortadella, Ham, Chopped Escarole, Pickled Peppers, Fontina, Aioli, Red Wine Vinegar):

We had to get another Italian Sandwich on this visit, just because. :slight_smile: It is as incredible as last time! It has enough Housemade Charcuterie cuts (not overwhelming like Pizzana’s), the quality of all the meats, the freshness of the veggies and that Housemade Bread all combine to make it so standout. :heart:

Despite losing some of the strongest items on the menu during this pandemic, Gjusta is still offering some outstanding items from the rest of their menu and some nice new additions. Their selection of Housemade Bread Loaves are amazing. The Breakfast Sandwiches are still delicious, but make sure you ask them to package it in a box, not their default tight Sandwich paper wrapping. They still have their Carrot Cake (albeit version 2.0), but you want to get their Natas (Portuguese Egg Custard Tarts), some of the best in the city, and you can finish things off with the incredible Italian Sandwich and the new Meatball Sandwich is outstanding.

Gjusta
320 Sunset Ave.
Venice, CA 90291
Tel: (310) 314-0320

17 Likes

I was actually wondering how the Gjusta bread stacks up! I tried Republique’s for the first time 2 wks ago and thought that it was pretty good. If you think the Gjusta loaf is better, I’ll have to try it soon.

I love meatball subs, but they often give me heartburn. But your pics look so tasty that maybe I’ll just eat some Tums… :wink:

2 Likes

I prefer Gjusta to Republique for bread even though they’re both excellent.

Sourdough Olive Loaf I picked up the other day

Bonus Carrot Cake

4 Likes

Gjusta bread is my favorite as well. Wanted to mention that they sell half loaves as well. They come un sliced but will cut it for you upon request. I think their bread is reasonably priced considering the quality

2 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Yah, you know I’m a big fan of Pastry Chef Margarita Manzke’s offerings, and their bread is good, but Gjusta’s is better. Maybe start with the Seeded Country Wheat (or White) and a Sourdough. Lovely! :blush: But I trust your tastes so give it a try and report back. (oh @Dommy and other bread lovers as well.)

2 Likes

Yes! Their Sourdough Olive. :slight_smile: Have you tried any other bread flavors yet? There are I think 3 I haven’t tried yet at Gjusta (Miche, and they had 2 other ones not offered right now (I think one involved Nori or something (@bulavinaka had talked about it once)).

1 Like

I love when they put sardines on anchovy toast!

5 Likes

Agree, Gjusta bread is probably my favorite in all of LA.

2 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

LOL! :smile: Oops! I had sardines on the brain! :sweat_smile: (I was texting my friends pics of Maru-san’s Iwashi that we were enjoying last week.) Fixing typo now. Thanks.

2 Likes

Really just the seeded country wheat, sourdough and olive sourdough + random breads I’ve had on their sandwiches but before Covid the last time I was at Gjusta was ~2016.

I’d mainly buy their bread at Erewhon.

But now I want to try the pumpernickel and sprouted rye.

Personally though I’d say Bezian Bakery at SMFM has my favorite bread

2 Likes

Agreed. Love their Rustic Loaves, it has an amazing crumb and crust. I perfer it over Clark Street and Bub and Grandma bread. It reminds me of Lodge when their first started. I always use it to make my holiday stuffing…

That being said, I have not been to Republique nor have I had one of Tartine SM’s boules (I have immensely enjoyed their Kid’s Bread and Brioche Buns). But it looks like they should be a list to try…

5 Likes

Hi @Dommy,

Nice! That stuffing of yours. Wow! :blush: You need to share that recipe one of these days. :wink:

I wasn’t too high on Tartine, I found the crust overly chewy and I didn’t love the flavor. I bought it back when it was at ROW LA and they wouldn’t slice it for you either.

For my preference, I love Gjusta bread. The texture and flavor is exactly what I like, I guessing they use a bit of olive oil in their dough but I really have no idea.

Also, jeez why didn’t I think of using their bread for stuffing.

5 Likes

You know… I looked through my files and I can’t find the recipe for this particular one. It was a year I needed to make a Vegetarian Stuffing, so I think I used my standard recipe and then added Apples, Craisins and Pine Nuts. The apples and Craisins are actually a great compliment to the sage favors in dressing and work well with gravy.

1 Like

I will say they have an excellent day before thanksgiving operation. The pies are picked up next door at the housewares shop. The bread line is separate from the lunch line but they will sell you a loaf if you order lunch. The only thing you do have to pre-order is the Baguettes… they go first. But I get my baguettes at Surfas so I’ve been fine just getting right before lunch for the rustic loaves…