Amboy Quality Meats & Delicious Burgers

@tailbacku @A5KOBE normally i wouldn’t even know what the heck is Balenciaga. I only know them now because mutliple small artists have shown that they have been blatantly ripped off by this fashion brand. such is 2020, sigh.

5 Likes

if you call in the order or you order in person, you can specify doneness. personally, thought that the dh burger was the best of the bunch. the medium rare had a perfect cook and it was refreshing to see a non smash burger with precise cooking temp.

2 Likes

I blame @PorkyBelly and my love of a good hot dog. I dropped by on my way home from an errand.
The hot dog at Amboy does not disappoint. It was super snappy and very beefy. It was one of the most perfect hot dogs I’ve had in some time. I only wish that there was more acid because it’s pretty rich between the buttery bun and the savory meat in tube form. The french fries remain perfect.

5 Likes

Not to start beef or nothing but need clarity. Only 1 of the brothers is involved in this right? Not the one with the rapey issues last year?

yeah, at least publicly, Anthony’s been #metood and disappeared. don’t even recall any substantial comment if any, from Alvin regarding it.

1 Like

I didn’t even know that he had a brother.

Yeesh never heard about this care to elaborate? NM I quickly googled, for anyone wondering here it is:

1 Like

Yea, wine fiending folks didn’t miss that story.
I love following Alvin on his adventures. Amusing dude. Want to try the burger.

1 Like

I was chatting with Chef Alvin today while I was picking up the brisket and turkey special from AGLS Craft Meats guest today. Looks like the holidays are going to be fun. He’s working on bringing in some special vendors (local turkeys and not local ham) in addition to his already great beef selection. Formal announcement pending soon.
I also talked to him about putting some holiday steak gift boxes…I’m looking for fun ideas for my staff (no basic gift cards). So that may be an Amboy thing, too.

9 Likes

how was the agl brisket and turkey?

Both were quite good. Lots of flavor and moisture. Nice bit of smoke. I was super impressed by the pickles, pickled onion, and sauces that came with it as they were all house made. They were fantastic with the All Day Baby biscuits I had also picked up.

7 Likes

Medium-sized (11-15 lbs.) birds all gone, but there are some large ones left.

2 Likes

Loaded Fries

I LOVE this. It combines the best of all the worlds. The fries are delightfully perfect. There are caramelized onions, a smashed burger patty, house special sauce and house made pickled chiles.

19 Likes

Amboy

It was Xmas Eve. :gift: I was picking up something in Chinatown and decided to do a spur-of-the-moment swerve over to Far East Plaza for some nummy, nummy PRD. They were closed. Whaa! More torturous is I could see them in there working, tidying & organizing. Oh well. It seemed like a good time to checkout Amboy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ordinaire + Fries

Meat, Cheese, Bun & my Favorite of the three. It’s reminiscent of my favorite burger, ERB’s Single Burger. I like that there wasn’t a lot of salt, seasoning or condiments on this one, which let the fantastic beef flavor (ground American wagyu?) shine thru.:hearts:

Classic Double + Fries

2 House Blended Patties, Caramelized Onions, American Cheese, Burger Pickles and Burger Sauce on Bread Bar’s Toasted Sesame Seed Bun.

This was hubby’s. He enjoyed it but I didn’t get a read on how much, except he “prefers sweet relish & mustard” on his burgers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fries

Didn’t love the fries as much as others did. Ours were stiff.

The Steamy - Steamed Patty, American Cheese, Sweet Pickle & Pickled Serrano Relish, Mayo, Mustard

This was the “special”… and a hot mess. I was excited because the concept brought back memories of the steam table, stuck to the bun burgers they served at my elementary school, which I confess to having loved. :relaxed: But either this was one of those you can never go home moments or this wasn’t it. See that cavernous gap? It’s from the wet cheese gluing the bottom bun to the foil. And the burger meat was steamy alright. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The other thing is I don’t like sweet relish, so that’s on me. But! don’t let my repulsion deter you. Dudes were lined up to buy bags of ‘em and hubs really liked it… it had sweet relish.

What’s a burger without Coca-Cola?

Best thing about the “special” burger to me is it came with a cool bottle opener…

L.A. is definitely a burger city. Amboy was busy and humming along with delicious burgerness.

Bonus Round: We had been musing on a different thread about the changes that have come to the Far East Plaza and I reminisced about a now shuttered shop, once a beloved spot of mine. We were playing a guessing game of sorts about what shop it was. I incorrectly said it was in Lasa’s location. Well, it being a quiet Christmas Eve day with most businesses closed, no long lines or crowds, I was able to take-in the plaza. Serendipity appeared. There it was before my eyes and right next to Howlin’ Ray’s! :open_mouth:

Storefront still intact…

Back in the day when it was my happy place…

:hearts::cry::hearts:.

Oh sigh. Such is Life… Happy Far East Eating!

17 Likes

new burgers

grizzly
double, tallow fried, AMBOY burger blend patties, american cheese, shaved red onions, pickles and yellow mustard in a squishy bun

royale
thick (200g) AMBOY burger patty, red onions, american cheese, red relish, mustard mayo, shredded lettuce in toasted squishy bun. bigger than a double, smaller than a DH

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK12J_7DKML/

11 Likes

They’re flirting with selling their ground beef mix (not just the burger kits) in the future. Can’t wait.

4 Likes

expectation…

reality…

despite the appearance

giphy

I really enjoyed the royale, it reminded me of a beefier whopper with the ketchup and mayo combo. wouldn’t have minded some tomatoes too.

the grizzly was well seasoned with a nice crust on the patties, but the construction was sloppy, all the pickles were on one side of the burger so the balance was off.

still loving the fries.

15 Likes

both of those burgers look deflated in the middle— weird. but they also look pretty tasty (except for the shredded lettuce)!

Looking good! This looks more my speed. Have to say i don’t get the smash burger thing, they use good quality its obvious but the meat was tissue paper thin when I got it. Must be a me thing.

you mean on the grizzly?