Anajak Thai (Sherman Oaks)?

What about the CBD ones? :rofl: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There’s only one of those and super well-hidden.

1 Like

it’s ok - my daughter also doesn’t like caviar, she thinks it looks like poop. My wife doesn’t either, so i rarely eat caviar at home - only when I’m going to restaurants to share with them ha

4 Likes

Playing the age card here…you are not an old timer. I grew up in the heyday of TV dinners. We never had a single one. My father grew vegetables in the backyard.
I salute what you and @attran99, and so many others are doing by introducing their kids to good food. Ebeth was stealing avocado from our plates at 1 1/2. She has turned out to be an incredible cook and will soon surpass me in skill all while earning her PhD. She loves caviar, truffles, uni, and waygu (also iberico de bellota secreto - best pork ever!), but pays her own way. I realize the banter has been in jest, but trust my experience that feeding your children great food pays off. Fourth generation testimony here - my grandmother was an incredible cook.

10 Likes

Did the Omakase this past weekend - the sauce work there is truly incredible. Layers of spice, earth, funk, (wind and fire). Had a three of my friends come in from SF and one of them was raving all night about the sauces.

Also - best mango sticky rice on the planet? prob

excuse the photo white balance issues - did the edits late at night and too lazy to fix. lol

21 Likes

Bold choice of wines.

burgundy or bust

Anybody have interest in a 4-top at 7 pm on January 23rd for the omakase? I’ve decided it’s not financially advisable for me to attend haha. Happy to coordinate dropping the resy so somebody else can snag it.

3 Likes

:joy:

On a different note, has anyone here ever been able to book an omakase reservation? I have never seen one open up on Resy.

6 Likes

I can’t believe that happened - they get some really wild old school white people that go there. Just feels like not the right location for what they do, but there’s so much history for their family there.

DM on IG. I don’t think they are posting it on Resy.

I just went last Saturday for omakase- had this incredible yellow oyster mushroom cluster grilled over binchotan with a soy glaze. Amazing.

9 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdGmLRApnQW/

1 Like

Some people are not ready for “modern” thai. I saved this pic from Holy Basil too:

9 Likes

@Clayfu is right. I booked my reservation last year 3 months ahead of time via DM on IG.

2 Likes

I must say that I really don’t get this place. We live in the nabe and tried it 15 or so years ago. We found it unimpressive. We didn’t return. About five years ago, I met a friend for happy hour. We hated it!
About a month or so ago, I went for lunch. I ordered a green curry. Nothing special. I asked for a beer or a glass of wine; not available; no beer and wine only by the bottle. Sorry, I just don’t see this place getting all the props.

2 Likes

Gotta order all the stuff you can’t get anywhere else.

Based on my small sample size of 3 visits there were a few ok/bad dishes in between the amazing ones.

Liking 90’s gangster rap also helps.

4 Likes

I think the owner/chef’s son started collaborating fairly recently to create the new iteration?

My last (and possibly only?) visit was also about 15 yrs ago. My vague recollection was that it was… fine. My impression is that the props are mainly coming from the special dinners and such.

Respectfully, this thread details the dishes that make this place special. And the first four hits of a Google search explain why so many find Anajak exciting and delicious. You may or may not like those things or find them interesting, totally fine, but it’s no mystery why this place is getting ‘all the props.’

3 Likes

I’m not cool enough to get a response apparently. Oh well.

I think it took a few days for me to get a response.

1 Like

They stopped doing lunch months ago as they wanted to focus on dinner and the uniqueness of a lot of their dishes during dinner. Pretty much based on complaints similar to yours - some people just want the thai classics they’ve been used to (no problem with that) but they are striving for something more.

But yes they don’t serve beer - an oddity as I think it’d sell well but they really want to focus on wine. They do wine by the glass at dinner though. They have an incredible wine list now that’s really worth perusing.

List from this past weekend

5 Likes