Anajak Thai (Sherman Oaks)?

had a bit of astrea on the kampachi, wasn’t offered any additional add-ons.

3 Likes

That looks fantastic.

3 Likes

The nodoguro was the highlight of the meal. My friend and I ceased talking during that dish since it was too good.

3 Likes

BRB. Texting Justin to offer the fried chicken and caviar as a supplement.

4 Likes

alc highlights, papaya salad, sashimi, wings, fried chicken, grilled fish, pork collar, razor clams.

@rlw power rankings forthcoming?

papaya salad, thai chilies, peanuts, dried shrimp

laab tot, northern-style pork meatballs

sashimi of kampachi, hainanese ponzu

pork ribs, pineapple-glaze

tom yum, fumet of fish bones

fried chicken wings, tamarind sauce

southern-thai fried chicken

grilled dry-aged fish, nam jim seafood

bbq pork collar, coriander molasses, soy, sesame

shrimp pad thai

haw mok, steamed fish curry custard

"massaman brisket curry*

razor clams

green curry, shrimp & eggplant

20 Likes

We had a split of opinion. I felt it was the best Thai food I’ve ever had. Execution was way better than anywhere else I’ve tried. With the exception of the overly dainty tom yum soup, I felt the spicing was genuine Thai. Peony, on the other hand, was not impressed at all. She thought the food lacked flavor. To my surprise, she prefers Jitlada. It’s true that Jitlada offers more mind-blowing flavors, but I prefer Anajak for the better ingredients and execution.

3 Likes

Not sure when this policy started, but they’re no longer doing takeout orders.

3 Likes

I’m not a big wine guy but it seems like a lot of their success is also because of their wine list.

3 Likes

My guys!

There was an astrea caviar blurb in there but it didn’t make it past the final editor cut :crazy_face:

6 Likes

gonna be a hater and i dunno why i’m doing this, but Justin just won best chef in California? That to me seems, umm, kinda crazy.

I like Anajak, and have admittedly not been to the tasting menu, but I’m not sure I understand all this acclaim. (To be fair every time I go I might just be kinda annoyed that I’m in Sherman Oaks.)

Gang, what am I missing? I hope to go back soon to try to enlighten myself.

edit see post further down in which I say I don’t wanna be a hater I just wanna know what to order lol

2 Likes

The tasting menu

(No comment on the award tho)

4 Likes

fair enough. sadly had reservations in 2021 then covid surged again and they cancelled and I didn’t bother rescheduling.

2 Likes

it’s better than Holbox?

2 Likes

Lol, shoulda posted this on my burner (which doesn’t exist). I guess my question should be this: what do I need to do to get the transcendent Anajak experience?

I want to cry eating Thai food. And what’s nice is I have a base-level sentimentality built up here bc I’ve spent like a year of my life in BKK.

4 Likes

How’s this, are there people on this board who’d rather eat at Anajak than Hayato?

Maybe I’m just thinking too much about a meaningless award

2 Likes

An argument can be made that Anajak is a more exciting restaurant.

1 Like

I would. Not necessarily because the food is better though.

2 Likes

Have decided I no longer want to be a hater. Just want Anajak fans to tell me what to order when I go here. For reference my fav dish last time I was there was that fish custard curry.

I’d delete the above original comment but we’re too far gone. :face_holding_back_tears:

Go Anajak, go LA.

6 Likes

Try the omakase dinner.

It’s a hard get and is now going to be harder to get.

It’s a casual dinner party with some really solid food. While Hayato is better executed, Anajak changes up the tasting courses a bit more often while incorporating some items from their regular menu (which is excellent Thai food).

It all really depends on what you’re looking for.

Both very well deserving finalists and thank goodness LA/OC area chefs didn’t get the shaft this year.

7 Likes

What on earth is this

1 Like