Angler - Beverly Center

I mean why would you want to - it’s not particularly good caviar. :smiley: California farms just haven’t hit the quality of other countries yet and white sturgeon just isn’t the same as other species. Or maybe it’s more one than the other and not a combination - but since almost all white sturgeon is from CA, hard to separate the two factors.

It needs that pancake cause it’s such a salty and unbalanced caviar. I’ve eaten a ridiculous amount of caviar in the last two years and California white sturgeon (from multiple sources) keeps standing out to me as something that’s just not very good. I understand the principle of supporting semi-local but I really find it lacking. I have multiple theories on the why but I really think it comes down to the need for ROI for these farms.

Sorry for the mildly geeky caviar tangent.

12 Likes

Yes! Next time!

I’ve generally been unimpressed by California caviar, but whatever approach Skenes came up with for curing and smoking it made a big difference.

I think for him buying local is less about principle than quality control. It’s hard to know exactly what your suppliers are doing if they’re on the other side of the globe.

1 Like

The pancake is incredible, but the dish is made bc of the butter and pancake not the caviar. $100 is a rip off (but a delicious one)

1 Like

Warrior: Good review. I still consider Angler the best non-Japanese meal we’ve eaten over the past two years. I was really surprised it didn’t get a Michelin star. Maybe Michelin just overlooked it, because they didn’t give it a plate either. I would say every dish we ate at Angler outshined every comparable dish we ate last night at Kali.

1 Like

the menu I saw last night from angler sf seems a lot more ambitious than la e.g. whole barbequed eel, bluefin tuna collar, embered oysters, fried collars, canine caviar biscuits…

they even have a “let us cook for you” omakase, maybe that’s why they got a star and la didn’t

after-benu dessert bang

7 Likes

I think Angler Los Angeles not getting a star is because Angler in SF already has a star. The Michelin guide is for California, not for a specific city. It probably seems a bit redundant if both got stars. They probably just gave it to the original location.

1 Like

Interesting theory, but for example they’ve given one to three stars to seven different locations of L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon, including two in Paris. Seems more likely to me that they weren’t as impressed with the LA location.

Warrior: yeah, but they don’t list it at all in their online LA guide, whereas they list Dama. Would anybody contend that Dama is a better restaurant than Angler? I can’t imagine any Michelin inspector reaching that conclusion. So I think the theory that they didn’t visit makes the most sense. But who knows?

2 Likes

There’s no way Michelin would miss a high-profile place like that.

They probably got lost.

4 Likes

it was just too difficult of a location for them to get to.

;D ;D

1 Like

Had an absolutely stellar first time dinner at Angler this Friday. One of the best meals I’ve had in recent years. I wish the location was different, but once inside, it all melts away.

The caviar service was terrific, although I do wish you could just order those pancakes and butter. They’re so good, they steal the show and obscure the caviar. Other highlights were the radicchio, potato, striped bass and the whole sea bream. I was worried the bream would be too simply prepared and underwhelming, but it ended up being one of the best pieces of fish I’ve ever had. The spirits list was also interesting with some unique gins and thus a great martini.

Only knock against the place is the music. The 80s playlist just doesn’t fit the vibe and was a bit too loud. Weird choice.

The place is a gem. I hope it lasts in that shit location.

14 Likes

Heading here tomorrow night, anything new to try? i wonder if the crab still on the menu (not the 1 comma crab)
i havent been since they had outside seating during the pandemic and i was very disappointed in that meal. Now hearing good things and i’m excited to eat here again

5 Likes

It’s pretty much the same menu when I went last month-ish.

1 Like

looking at their menu online, dated 10/21, the tomato and salmon look new. if you haven’t tried the clams yet, they’re :heart:

mei lin had a nice pro tip: take the brains from the lobster, mix it with the sauce from the prawns, and top it on your steak.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVGYOBmvY47/

6 Likes

Taking lobster tomalley, mixing it with prawn sauce and topping it with (insert any noun here) would make it taste great.

4 Likes

Speaking of seating, if you happen to be seated tank-side, where the fish are, beware the potential splash zone.

2 Likes

that’s the best part! interactive.

1 Like