Angler - Beverly Center

are people really ordering non-seafood at this place? and if so what’s best to get? I trust the wood-fire process, but seems odd.

It’s pretty standard for a seafood place to have a steak as an option for customers who don’t want fish, just like old-school steakhouses often have a fish on the menu.

I ordered the squab the one time I saw it and also had either the 90 or 120 day dry aged ribeye another visit. Both stellar

9 Likes

That squab looks awesome!

4 Likes

I’d order squab there. It’s not easy to cook correctly over fire. I’d order any game there.

One time I was at my friend’s house in Guadalajara and he was grilling. I said, wow, that’s the gamiest squab I’ve ever smelled. He said, I think you’re smelling the pig farm next door.

4 Likes

It’s what I’d imagine the Roadrunner would look like if Wile E. Coyote ever catches him. #TopicCoveredByFamilyGuy

4 Likes

Another fantastic meal at Angler.
Highlights:

Heirloom tomato, wildfire vinegar.

Bluefin Tuna, Tomato jelly

Blue Prawns, Harissa

Potato is always great but slightly oilier, still crispy and soft in the middle
It’s still one of my favorite restaurants to eat at.

13 Likes

hi @Hungrydrunk

nice meal, but where’s the sundae? did you get a pic of the menu? anything new compared to the one posted online? thanks.

1 Like

Those blue prawns aren’t on the sample menu.

Here’s the current menu from last night. Not a good picture of it tho

4 Likes

excellent dinner
service was a bit green this time
they’ll be starting a “let us cook for you” option soon.

(off menu) tonburi tart
they’re testing out this new dish and it was :heart:

(new) beef tartare, yuzu, baby iceberg
i liked this better than the antelope tartare, gotta love how they season every piece of baby iceberg.

heirloom tomato, wildfire vinegar
wow, just as good as the one i had in sf :heart: how are there still tomatoes in nov?

bbq beets, embered tomato, walnut
like a beet fruit roll up. delicious.

dungeness crab

perfectly cooked, but i cried a little when i realized they didn’t served the crab fat/brains/tomalley :sob:

me with no crab brains

parker house rolls, cultured seaweed butter, clarified butter, garlic aioli

angler potato, sonoma cheese sauce
like a baked potato and potato chip in one, brilliant.

soft serve sundae
the softest serviest sundaest ever :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:
always keep the caramel

20 Likes

shit, do i have to go back now? missing out on the crab and the beets.

2 Likes

I guess I’ll have to try the potato again someday. I don’t think the one I got was made right.

What was under the tonburi?

Same trick Majordomo uses in their Bounty Bowl.

I didn’t catch what was underneath. I think it was in an onion(?) pate sablee shell.

1 Like

Was that black (blue?) stuff custardy or what? Looks strange enough to serve at Vespertine.

it had the texture of a firm flan. it was better than anything i’ve had at vespertine.

2 Likes

Artichoke, Sunchoke dishes slay

Add Aligote to broth

Spoonful of Sundae in your Old Fashioned

4 Likes

warrior: you can just look at the pictures and see that this restaurant belongs on the list of 101 “best” restaurants in LA, even with the heavy emphasis on cultural and socioeconomic diversity. rossoblu over this?

Angler was #51 on the list in 2019. Since this year Addison was going for breadth and diversity, he probably didn’t want more than ten $$$$ restaurants on the list, and Angler didn’t make the cut.

Rossoblu is $$$ and was #17 on the 2019 list.

I always thought the 101 list wasn’t in order of best to worst, rather it was just a count of 101 best.