Animal šŸ–

Why risk it for minimal profits? Restaurants can say whatever they want but they risk getting into a lawsuits. Their insurance will cover defense but their future premium will shoot way up.

I think thatā€™s it. Restaurants have enough trouble as it is and would rather avoid the hassle. But itā€™s a big loss for Animal - unlike some who have a foie dish just because - who built part of their rep on those dishes. Itā€™s a bummer. But as long as the Pork Belly Sliders are safe Iā€™m good. And Iā€™ve got my eye on the shellfish dishes theyā€™re now slinging.

3 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly - Which were your favorite new dishes?

my favorites new dishes from the current menu are the eggplant katsu, chicken oysters, king crab, scallops, and prawns.

and of course i have to round it out with some of the classics: chicken liver toast, beef tendon chip, hamachi tostada, veal tongue, tandoori octopus, pork belly sliders, yellowtail collar, and tres leches (rip foie biscuit and loco moco).

2 Likes

Thanks!

I was hoping youā€™d pick those. Maybe the eggplant katsu, but I was thinking peach aguachileā€¦ if we donā€™t get the scallops. It looks like they switched out the king crab & potato for a dungeness w/tomato & kombu. :smirk: Doesnā€™t sound as good as a ā€œking crab shepherdā€™s pieā€.

ā€¦Of course you did.

1 Like

the peach is good too, but i wouldnā€™t sub the eggplant for it.

theyā€™re both pretty small so i guess the correct answer is to get them both.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s always your correct answer. :blush:

3 Likes

@PorkyBelly are the chicken oysters legit actual oysters or bits of cut up thigh meat? Iā€™ve been buying chicken backs in bulk and meticulously carving out the oysters myself, but this will save me a lot of work! :yum:

Hello Sake Master-sanā€¦

Iā€™m wondering what you would drink with the food in @PorkyBellyā€™s report? Iā€™ve had at least three on the list, but wonā€™t reveal because I donā€™t mind repeating if your advice requires. :wink: I would like to try Umelicious again but with dessert.

:sake: :eggplant: :crab: :pig2: :shrimp: :rooster: :hot_pepper:

Hmmmā€¦none of these really. Iā€™m just not as big of a fan of the offerings on the sake menu.

(Assuming the report is the most recent one with a few new menu items).

Iā€™d do $35 corkage and bring something that works in general and is more versatile. If Den Sake Breweryā€™s offering was available in LA this would be a great place to try with.

Did you need suggestions? I can think of at least two that should be fun and easy. Iā€™d do Time Machine with foie and dessertā€¦ worth the corkage splurge which is higher than the cost of Time Machineā€¦ I suppose you could coax a little bit of a pairing kind of with Umelicious, with a pork dish to the pseudo effect of aged Riesling with pork

2 Likes

Yah, I agree @beefnoguy. We tried most of the Sake on Animalā€™s menu over our last 2 visits and they just didnā€™t match well with the food and in general they werenā€™t ones that stood out on their own either.

1 Like

Naw, thatā€™s okay. Time Machine would be fun, but wonā€™t have time to swing it. Iā€™ll probably go with a glass of wine and maybe Umelicious with a fruit dessert. I had the feeling by your previous comments you were saying you donā€™t care for the selectionsā€¦ in a polite way. Too safe? Not right for the food? Not enjoyable in general?

Strictly opinion and preference of course. I generally prefer more fuller bodied (masculine), more structure, stronger umami, acidity, maybe some astringency, nuance (much like what you would look for in a wine) for versatility of food pairing. Just donā€™t get the sense that most of them work as nicely or close.

Not to say that floral aromatic sake are bad or donā€™t work as well, but with quite a myriad of flavor profiles from the food (as well as seasonings), a mix of spicy, sweet and sour, you need something that handles that range, whether it pairs perfectly or as enjoyable on the side.

If I had no other choice but to pick something, I would get the Tedorigawa Yamahai Daiginjo Chrysanthemum Meadow (300 mL is a good size to play around with), maybe lightly chilled in a wine glass, and use that acidity to cut some of the heavy duty flavors, fat, cream sauce (and to salivate a bit and kick up the appetite). Though last time I was in the OC I picked up a bottle from Hi Time to bring to Izakaya Hachi, and I wish I had better optionsā€¦ somehow it didnā€™t hit the right notes for me for some reason.

1 Like

Okay, got it. Excellent. Thanks!

1 Like

What would you pick from their wine list?

theyā€™re the legit chicken oysters wrapped in some chicken skin, because why not?

2 Likes

I have no idea. If I donā€™t get the Chrysanthemum Meadow (300 mL) Iā€™ll probably ask for help on the ā€œBeverage-Dinnerā€ menu (glass/carafe/bottle). Iā€™d like a carafe, but A. might want beer, soā€¦
https://www.animalrestaurant.com/menu

They have some very nice wines by the glass, I believe theyā€™ll pour you a little taste. The Listan Negro and TĆŖte de Lard Saumur are delicious. Markups are very high.

The bottle list, good lord thatā€™s some expensive shit. Though some is almost impossible to find. For that reason Iā€™d probably get the Strekov Portugieser, in fact I think maybe I did last time I was there.

https://www.animalrestaurant.com/menu

Iā€™m noticing this.

Oh, this is fabulous. Thank you!

1 Like