Another Beacon in L.A.'s Pastry Landscape (and Home of a Fabulous Kouign-Amann and Brunch Plates) - The Sycamore Kitchen [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

15 Likes

We are regulars at Sycamore Kitchen (we live nearby) and breakfast is much more consistent than the lunch/brunch dishes, though all are solid. When Republique is jammed to the rafters down the block we are amazed that Sycamore Kitchen, although busy, is still a comfortable spot to grab delicious baked goods and savory dishes even on a weekend morning. We love Republique, but day in and day out, Sycamore Kitchen delivers many dishes at a comparable level, in a much more relaxed setting.

2 Likes

I need to come here next time I’m in the area for breakfast. I always forget it’s up the street from Republique. Thanks for the reminder and great review.

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying Sycamore Kitchen as well. :slight_smile: What are your favorite pastries and dishes there? Thanks.

The patio there is dog-friendly as well, which is a huge plus for us in the mornings.

1 Like

Thanks @attran99. :slight_smile: Hope you get a chance to try it out and see what you think of their Kouign-Amann and other standouts.

The rye pancakes strike a nice balance between sweet and not so sweet and the chorizo and egg sandwich always hits the spot, although I usually cannot finish it. The Yucatan bowl is delicious, scratching the itch for something beyond huevos rancheros. Love the various sweet breads, with seasonal berries --generally a cornmeal/polenta based bread with blueberries or whatever is in season. We generally find it hard to go wrong with any of the baked goods --we just like Karen Hatfield’s approach of making things sweet, but not too sweet. There may be an element of savory – an herb in the background --or something to cut the sweetness, like rye flour, but we find the results to our taste. My wife loves the Tuscan latte, which has just a note of rosemary in the finish.

3 Likes

Nice @Chowseeker1999!

Good to hear the crowds have settled into a comfortable roar. It was kind of hectic for a while. If it’s more relaxed than Republique than that place must be a zoo. We were going to Sycamore Kitchen a lot for a while. I loved the pastries but had some misses with the plated food. You’ve given me some new things to try - French Toast, Pancakes, Fried Chicken Sandwich. :blush: The hollandaise on the Benedict looks luscious. I don’t mind the pancetta being wrong, I usually ask for mine sans bacon anyway. I can’t remember if I’ve had the Buttercup but if it’s better than Dominique Ansel’s Kouign-Amann I’m in. I enjoyed their Kouign-Amann more than their famous Cronut.

These are the kind of things that bothered me about them. That and they don’t have a phone number. If you want to order food or pastries for pick-up you have to enter your address, credit number, etc. and open an online account. And I don’t think you can order pastries ahead of time unless it’s a $100. minimum. It’s their prerogative, but it lost us. Maybe some of this has changed and I noticed they offer Postmates delivery now, so…

Thanks for the reminder. We’ll check them out again soon!

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Good to know you’ve been a few times. :slight_smile: Oh? I had no idea they didn’t allow you to order pastries ahead of time unless it’s $100 or more, bummer. I think you might like Republique more, but there are some standouts at Sycamore Kitchen to try when you might have time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yah, it was something like that and they need a couple days notice. And still, it’s all online or you can email and wait for someone to call you. That and having to set up an account to get a to-go order is not worth it unless you’re in love with the food. They’re doing what works for them. No biggie, no thanks.

P.S. But your report makes me want to physically go there and eat some french toast and a kouign-amann soon. :relaxed:

1 Like

I just did a test to see their email response time. I need a baguette for dinner and didn’t see bread on the bakery menu. Well, they don’t sell bread, but they emailed back immediately. So that’s a positive. But Republique again for us today.

P.S. How spoiled are we with this delicious dilemma?

3 Likes

Just picked up a couple of baguettes for dinner tonight from Republique. These are worthy of the drive.

2 Likes

My personal Republique shopper (husband) is on his way!

3 Likes

If he/you likes cinnamon buns and cardamom, get the cinnamon cardamom buns. I grabbed two and finished one in the car before I got to Venice on La Brea.

3 Likes

I’ll text him. :wink:

Hi @TheCookie,

Make sure you get a Creme Brulee Bombolini! :blush:

1 Like

…and the Boston Cream ones. I didn’t mention bombolone this time because it’s automatic. But I suspect he’ll be focusing on getting me the right bread and the buns… and pondering “now, what is cardamom?”.

2 Likes

When people ask me where to go for breakfast this is where I send them. It’s really great and not talked about enough.

3 Likes

Not to turn this into a Republique thread. But the line was really long and they were out of most pastries & sweets - no cinnamon cardamon, no bombolone, one sad slice of passion fruit pie. I’m actually happy, kinda’. I’ve been living it up in February and this waistline isn’t elastic.

Is the salted caramel babka no more? Because that thing…