Anthony Bourdain wrote about his trip to Los Angeles

Not a very descriptive article (posted today) but he does like the food in Los Angeles.

2 Likes

On one hand, “dynastic family” and “legendary los angeles” deli screams Langers, but how could the man go there and NOT order pastrami?

Friday, September 9
On the way back from a hard training, I felt a sudden urge for nourishment. So I stopped at a legendary Los Angeles deli, looking for carbs and comfort, and instead found myself on what my friends Fred and Dave have referred to as the “Scavenger Hunt of Sadness.” I ordered lox and eggs with an onion bagel and some coffee. The service could not have been nicer. The décor was perfect. Then the owner — a member, I gather, of the dynastic family that has run the place for generations — sat down at my table and, in rapid succession, filled me in, unsolicited, on the plans for their multi-unit expansion to Vegas, the restaurant’s impressive weekly gross, number of seats, and number of employees, while addressing me repeatedly as ”buddy-buddy.“ Then he comped my meal.

oh wait, there’s more:

I appreciated his generosity — and his many expressions of admiration for my work. I really did. But, dude … brown your onions! They’re watery and flavorless. The lox, too, was boil-in-a bag pink and bland. And the bagels? Feh! Like you’d expect to find on an airplane. Doughy and suboptimal in every way a bagel can be. Represent our proud and glorious tribe, our traditions of deliciousness, my brother! This ain’t the way. Really. Show a little pride.

okay maybe he IS talking about Langer’s - dude, you can’t order anything but the pastrami there!

2 Likes

i was thinking canter’s

4 Likes

looks like you may be right

makes sense, as it IS a lot closer to his hotel than Langer’s

1 Like

Some enviably solid eating there except for going to the wrong place for smoked fish and bagels.

There are a lot of great restaurants here, and some really spectacular ones—the sort of fine dining that I actually enjoy, rather than 22 punishing courses of self-absorbed, self-important food.

Nice to hear they’ve got another Rome show coming up.

IIRC, the last Rome show was great, the one with a lot of back and white photography and seafood in Ostia…

1 Like

I loved that last Rome episode as well! :slight_smile:

Canter’s… feh!

2 Likes

I keep trying to tell yall Canter’s is shit. I’ve lived in this area for 11 years and haven’t gone back once.

3 Likes

He mentions they are doing another Parts Unknown episode in the Los Angeles area.

I hope he makes it out to the SGV for a certain um… hainan chicken LOL.

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone on this board or CH ever said that Canter’s was good… :wink:

2 Likes

crap, you’re right… thought i was still on reddit

2 Likes

i’m sure he’ll be going to chengdu taste if he’s in sgv