Antico Nuovo by Chad Colby

Jeni’s was just okay, it tasted somewhat artificial compared to antico’s. I definitely prefer antico’s for the more natural, albeit subtler, peach flavor.

1 Like

Actually I found my pint of Antico peach to be a bit too intense in its tartness. The ripe sweet stone fruit cuts I added made it more palatable.

My understading of the whole “peaches 'n cream” concept was that the cream moiety in peach ice cream allowed the concoction to balance out the tart tendencies of the fruit component. Maybe that’s incorrect or I am just being a fuddy-duddy.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Jeni’s.

2 Likes

I was trying to figure out how peach ice cream could be moe (in the anime sense) when i realized I wasn’t reading that properly :joy:

3 Likes

I know. I learned a new word.

I need a dedicated ice cream & gelato freezer drawer @PorkyBelly!

2 Likes

Did anyone ask or did they say why they won’t be doing Strawberry or Strawberry Shortcake any longer?

Ice Cream hoarders in the house!

Top: Orange cookies
Mid: Peach
Bottom: Strawberry

8 Likes

Did they stop? I got a pint of strawberry on Saturday with my peach.

I’m confused I guess. Yay! I thought I read somewhere on the board that they said they weren’t doing Strawberry which seemed so strange to me.

Okay, I’m not imagining things, just confused about the meaning. Farther up-thread peeps were talking about getting the last of the Strawberry. :cry: But they meant for the day, I guess. Happy!!! :strawberry:

When Harry’s Berries stops having their strawberries, Antico will not offer it anymore. I remember it being a seasonal item.

2 Likes

It’s a great one if you’re stuck with too many vowels in Scrabble. ;-D

3 Likes

triple chocolate strawberry swirl
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBwGWXnj9ZN/

4 Likes

I better get over there.

Side bar: I :hearts: Harry’s but they’re not the only game in town. I recently bought some delicious Strawberries from Tamai Family Farms at CC Farmers Market. :wink:

4 Likes

:scream:

1 Like

I love Tamai strawberries. I’ve been buying them almost every week since they’ve been in season. Much better QPR than Harry’s.

1 Like

How’s the Q compared to Harry’s? I have to admit that making a strawberry sorbet with no simple syrup added out of Harry’s is pricey AF. I wouldn’t mind using a substitute if it comes close!

9 Likes

I’ve always have loved the strawberries from Rutiz Farms out of Arroyo Grande. They used to be at SM farmers market on Wednesday. They may only sell out of their farm stand now but if you’re out that way, well worth checking out

Also McGrath out of Camarillo usually has great strawberries and you can pick at the farm. I’ve always thought they were much better than Tamai personally. They don’t always bring a large supply to the market but you can always try emailing and reserving. In the past they’ve been a good 2$ a lb cheaper than HB.

2 Likes

They are a bit different but most of them are extremely sweet. I’d say it’s worth a shot. I don’t think we’ve hit peak Harry’s yet (I had some last year that were amazing - this year I’ve tried HB’s twice). You can get a 3 pack for $12 or half a flat for $20 (have only gotten half flats at SMFM).

I will try these the next time I see them. I’ve never made it out to a farm to do any berry picking, but might have to take the little one sometime in the future.

2 Likes

I shall fetch some in the coming weeks at the nearby farmers market. As some :tangerine: guy said, “What the hell do you have to lose?!”

1 Like

We prefer the Los Pasos strawberries over the McGrath berries by a hair. Both farms are in the same area in Camarillo. The quality of these berries are very good and provide a much higher QPR than Harrys. We have a connection that calls in our berry orders and they put aside the smaller sweeter berries for us.

7 Likes