Antico Nuovo by Chad Colby

But you need to try it once just to know what it’s like…it’s great with pizza and a bottle of wine.

1 Like

Right, forgot who I was talkin’ to. But @attran99’s right!:yum:

nice interview with brad ray on the air jordy podcast, with some hints on brad’s new project on the westside.

2 Likes

Antico + Avi Cue Pop-up

A quick take by two hungry peeps. Hopefully @PorkyBelly weighs-in with his gorgeous photography. :wink:

Combo Wagyu Arayes + Greek Yogurt & Smashed Cucumbers + Half Pint Honeycomb Ice Cream

Wagyu Arayes (a la carte)

Greek Yogurt & Smashed Cucumber

Delicious w/a kick of some kinda heat. A side of some good pita would’ve been perfect.

We :hearts: it all! Luckily we got there early, because it became an overcrowded Covid event later on. But seriously, we could’ve eaten a few more of the arayes w/mild creamy tahini(?) & tangy, cumin spiced sauce.

11 Likes

It was tasty, but way too tiny. I could have eaten five of those, but then it would have been a very pricey meal haha.

2 Likes

And they look bigger on Antico’s IG page. I usually just take a bite or two of hubby’s meaty stuff and leave it at that. Sooo glad I ordered my own because no way was that happening.

1 Like

tiny delicious wagyu arayes x2 (needed about 6)

crappy line
sometimes I think they want to have a line

10 Likes

There’s those @PorkyBelly shots! :drooling_face:

Not cool when your city is the Covid capital of the US.

3 Likes

I had one of my best meals of the year way back in January at Antico, and for real this time, decided to close out my 2020 LA takeout with a revisit.

While their pivot to pizza and ice cream has been stellar, I really missed the rustic cooking of their dine in service. They’ve quietly been doing Friday night meals that include a special dish and a pint of ice cream, and I jumped on it tonight.

Chicken kebabs with grilled onions and tomatoes

Damn does Chef Colby know how to grill meat. These were fantastically cooked and super juicy. They fired the kebabs right as I arrived and they came out piping hot, served on top of a leavened flatbread spread with hummus and a chili sauce. The kebabs were heavily seasoned but balanced well against the charred green onion, tomato, and flatbread. It reminded me of the lamb neck at Bavel where the juices drip all over the laffa–and while it’s not quite as rich as that dish it was fun to rip of pieces and scoop up pieces of chicken with the spreads and drippings.

Espresso Cookies and Cream

IYKYK

Here’s to getting back at Antico in the new year.

22 Likes

Ice Cream! Pizza too! :hearts:

Focaccia Pizza - Tomato, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Speck, Bell Peppers, Pickle Pepper, Jalapeño, Calabrian Chilis

Thick, buttery, crispy focaccia, zesty tomato sauce, cheeses, topped with porky & spicy goodness.

Time for Anchovies & Cornicione @PorkyBelly

How many things can I find to put on top of pizza crust? :relaxed:

Plain w/Anchovy

Tomato Sauce & Anchovy

Marinated Fava Beans, Tomato Sauce & Anchovy

Apple Pie Ice Cream

If you love apple pie then you would’ve loved this ice cream. It was made with actual apple pie and tasted just like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Strawberry Ice Cream

This was late fall Harry’s Berries’ Strawberry. The strawberries were surprisingly sweet for the season, but this was the first time I had a slight problem with Antico’s ice cream. It was really delicious, but there were little bits of frozen strawberry and it was like crunching on bits of ice.

Strawberries, Apples & Cream anyone? Softened w/a little sweet cream smoothed-out the icy. :hearts:

Mango Ice Cream

Our most recent purchase. I was disappointed at first that it wasn’t like their plum & ricotta ice cream w/soft, chewy pieces of fruit, kinda like a gourmet fruit rollup (yep). Well! Chef Ray is not a one-trick pony. He’s got other ice cream tricks up his talented sleeve. Mousse! :blush: I don’t know if the photos show the texture and maybe because we got it super fresh, but to me this was like none of the other textures & flavors. No sweet cream necessary! :hearts::blush::hearts:

14 Likes

I was hoping you would try ice cream and anchovies

3 Likes

Next time!

2 Likes

he’ll be missed

1 Like

Yeah, I know. :confused: He says he left them in good shape ice cream formula-wise, but we’ll see…

1 Like
5 Likes

Antico (back in January 2020) was hands down one of my best meals last year. I’m really looking forward to what he’s got planned next because his one-off Friday night takeout meals were fantastic!

3 Likes

I had a really great meal there when they first opened albeit I didn’t think the QPR was very good. But I would gladly go back again for his new concept. Plus when it’s strawberry season and the ice cream has macerated strawberries in there, man that was the best.

7 Likes

from ice cream to housewares. I unsubbed from that list so fast.

My deep freeze still holds one last pint of Chef Ray’s extraordinary plum ice cream from last summer. Maybe I’ll decorate my foyer with it.

1 Like

They’re still selling pizza and ice cream.

https://app.upserve.com/s/antico-los-angeles-los-angeles

The shop with pottery and linens seems awfully tangential to the restaurant business.

1 Like