Any Vegans here?

Grandma always used a pressure cooker for pinto beans. We would have it ‘de la olla’ for a few days (usually with a little sour cream on top for us kids) and if there were any left offers they would get turned into refried beans.

1 Like

Nugget is the best

2 Likes

i guess all of the legume loving posters here haven’t heard about the awful dangers of a lectin rich diet!!! (sarcasm)… there’s a whole leaky gut diet fad

…and cheese causes breast cancer. We should all stop eating food.

3 Likes

Living is the leading cause of death, for sure

5 Likes

i can’t tell you how many friends i have who have developed life and friendship altering food phobias while at the same time puffing away on all sorts of things, drinking liquid poisons and breathing polution all day… grr.

4 Likes

Like people at the gym who do keto and take steroids.

5 Likes

Got these from the 99 cent store. rick bayless. Not bad.

3 Likes

I know you were being sarcastic, but from the little reading I just did, cooking or soaking apparently inactivates lectin?

Yes! I love Nugget. Wonderful selection, excellent service, spotless stores, and the best weekly “secret specials.”

1 Like

Me and my brother used to go to the batting cages and then hit Nugget to try some unusual sodas. We felt as wholesome as the Hardy Boys. Just the best.

2 Likes

My Aunt @ 80something: “I’m dying” *her favorite phrase.
Me: “Aunty, we started dying the minute we are born. Anything new?”

3 Likes

Fatburger for you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Since this thread seems to be thee vegan dining thread, I’m posting my visit to Cybelle’s Front Porch in S.F. here. They have a full vegan menu, most of which is on the gut-busting side :sweat_smile:

Vegan pasta carbonara was insane. Creamy, salty, smoky, and entirely crave-worthy. The server suggested I mix it all together for optimal enjoyment. The cream sauce was cashew based. I am very curious about the faux egg. If it’s not a fried egg, what is it?! Vegan sorcery.

I tried a bite of my partner’s vegan loco moco made with an impossible burger and tasted more mock magic.

The vegan beignets (half order, side of chocolate sauce) were tasty but dense. Can’t go too wrong with sugary fried dough though!

8 Likes

San Francisco has so much great vegan food. I loved going up there when I first started eating veg.

There was a pizza place in Oakland with vegan ricotta cheese that was incredible. I wish I could remember the name of the place.

2 Likes

This vegan caesar dressing from Lodge sounds pretty fine. Going to try it out:

3 Likes

Just saw this pop up on my feed. They had an event this Saturday. Follow for future events if you’re interested
https://www.instagram.com/ocvegannightmarket/

4 Likes

I can’t even imagine what goes into making a faux fried egg!

1 Like

Hey, Mid-City dwellers. At Met Her At a Bar on La Brea they have a Vegan Salted Caramel Waffle w/Toasted Coconut. Curious to try it.

1 Like

they took over rascal across the street too didn’t they… i think i saw another too clever hipster ass name on the shop

1 Like