Anything decent between LA and Vegas?

Tried to go there today. Unfortunately every parking space in their probably 50 parking spaces for cars was full and there were cars circling so I passed. Was looking forward to the meatloaf sandwich.

1 Like

Do Del Tacos taste very diff from each other (genuine question)?

Only the ones in Barstow. They charge more and you get better quality for it.

The Del Taco restaurants on First Avenue, East Mountain View Street, and Lenwood Road are privately owned and operated by 89-year-old Ed Hackbarth and his family…

“Barstow Del Taco would like to assure its customers that the recent news of the sale of Del Taco to Jack in the Box will not affect the Barstow locations,” the Hackbarths said.

8 Likes

In-n-Out Barstow is all you need to know.

1 Like

The last couple of times I made the trip, I ate at a very good Mom n’ Pop Mexican place in Barstow called Lola’s Kitchen. It’s not that far off the 15 (on E. Main St.), the food is really satisfying and fairly priced. And they open at 4am if you’re trying to beat the traffic.

2 Likes

I did not grow up with Cracker Barrel but its always been on the list in case we need to stop. I remember reading about the hours long wait when it first opened in Victorville.

The other place I’m intrigued by when driving in that area is Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers mostly because I love frozen custard but they only have 2 flavors. Unlike the good places in Wisconsin with dozens of flavors.

2 Likes

Chicken n dumplings and hash brown casserole! My personal faves at Cracker Barrel.

I also have not been to a Cracker Barrel in over 15 years lol

1 Like

Freddy’s is decent.

My friend took her grandma there to lunch plenty of times when she visited.

2 Likes

Been there several times in different locations. It’s okay at best. I never understood why people are so crazy about it.

Agreed. It will be an option once I’m permanently in AZ in a couple of months.

3 Likes

I haven’t been to Cracker Barel in approximately 15 years so I don’t know if it’s the same.

Their baked potato – covered in salt and pepper and baked in aluminum foil – was the best I’ve ever had. I love the texture of the skin.

Biscuits with apple butter was decent.

Hashbrown casserole was decent.

I think for many of people it’s probably a nostalgia thing. After having eaten at so many good restaurants throughout my entire adult life, I probably could not say objectively that Cracker Barrel is good. But I loved it as a kid, it reminds me of road trips and eating out on vacation which was a pretty big treat for me. If I saw one and it was convenient I would stop by just for the novelty.

2 Likes

I totally get that. I never tried it until I was in my 40s.

2 Likes

Me, too! We first tried Cracker Barrel on a road trip with few other options. I ordered the Chicken Dumplings. It was the blandest, whitest (in terms of actual color) food I have ever had. I guess it may be the same reaction other people have to eating (plain) congee or grits, except there were no topping options to make it edible.

3 Likes

Absolutely.