April 2020 Rundown

Thao family farms greens and homemade sushi using luxe seafood delivery.

12 Likes

Love Kawamata. Been there twice in the last month and your pics are the longest lines I’ve seen. The spam musubi is aces! We always get tempura shrimp too, but eat it whilst crispy before leaving our parking spot.

4 Likes

@SpockSpork heard someone in line after us ordering tempura and was like, “Drat! We didn’t order that!” :wink: Well, that leaves us something to try for next time.

Tacos Villa Corona in Atwater Village re-opened last Tuesday and ran out of food about 2 hours after opening :astonished: So on Thursday we went to get breakfast burritos. Husband got the chilaquiles breakfast burrito and I got the papas bean breakfast burrito. I love their breakfast burritos, and glad to see it still tasted as good as ever.

The order-taker was wearing gloves and a mask, and the person cooking was also gloved and masked. We went at 9 AM and there was only one other person in front of us. Hours are 8 AM - 4 PM now, but they’ve been running out of ingredients earlier than that so get there sooner rather than later just in case.

(sorry, i guess there’s just no good way to take a photogenic picture of a burrito)

Walked across the street to get coffee, croissant and chocolate chip cookie from Proof Bakery.

Friday for dinner ordered take out from Cosa Buona. Margherita pizza and smoked mozzarella sticks.

It’s about a 10 minute walk from our place so we placed it in the oven for a few minutes to warm it back up and tasted great. Husband went in and said they had a lot of orders for pickup and everyone masked/gloved up.

Saturday morning we went to Clark Street Bread to get breakfast. I really, really try to avoid those 3rd party apps to order food, but when I called their direct phone line, it went straight to voicemail and their self-created Square site for ordering was missing a bunch of breakfast items, so I ended up using Caviar for pick up :\

There were a LOT of people in line…like maybe about a dozen. Everyone stood far apart and a few delivery drivers were waiting in a separate line. They seemed a little overwhelmed by all the orders because my order wasn’t ready even though Caviar said it was, but I didn’t get upset about it. We should try to extend a little grace to restaurants in these not-normal times. I ended up waiting an extra 20 minutes and the guy who brought my food out apologized for the wait. One thing I hate about Caviar is that when I ordered for pickup, I did not see any place to put a tip, so I ended up tipping in cash which isn’t ideal right now…but oh well.

toasted baguette with raspberry jam and butter

Breakfast sandwich with avocado instead of bacon

I also got a kouign amann (no picture) which tasted fine, but it was really different than kouign amann I’ve had elsewhere- it was flat and spiral shaped and didn’t have as much caramelized flavor. Not one of my favorites.

Also got OJ, coffee and a regular baguette to take home to eat. Their baguette is really good.

18 Likes

Man I always wanted to try those mozz sticks at Cosa Buona than bang it up at Konbi for egg salad sandwiches

1 Like

Tempura is a dish worst served cold…

3 Likes

ooo that would be great. I gotta do that when Konbi opens back up!

2 Likes

We’ve enjoyed all of our meals at Cosa Buona. The pizza, salad, mozz sticks and fun wine list make for a great relaxed meal. One of the first places I had a natural wine. Wish they had more pasta dishes.

5 Likes

yes, i so wish they had pasta. But right now on their takeout menu, they offer the Stepmother which is a great sandwich.

3 Likes

Brent’s Black Pastrami Rueben to-go…

7 Likes

Forgot about this sandwich. Had it once and it was indeed delicious.

1 Like

What tattoo did you get, sailor?

1 Like

Large, brown rice, salmon + octopus, ogu seaweed, seaweed salad, massage, avocado, original sauce (less citrusy or tangy than a yuzu or ponzu).

Partner got all salmon + spicy mayo.

The protein portion is not huge, but what you get is pristine.

1 Like

Kiriko takeout - deluxe sushi special with a spicy tuna roll and a side of uni sushi. I called ahead and made an order to pick up at a specific time, and they were gracious and accommodating. Paid by credit card over the phone and quickly parked and picked up. everything was packed carefully and meal was delicious.

13 Likes

The April lockdown take-out fest continues, today with Jame Enoteca (El Segundo)…

Arugula salad, with radicchio, shaved grana padano, and an enticing anchovy vinaigrette, all showcasing Chef Jackson Kalb’s marvelous cappellini, with 36-hour tomato sauce, basil and reggiano…

The scarpinocc… Northern Italian bowtie pasta (a ravioli variant), stuffed with braised beef cheek, seasoned with browned butter, sage, saba… Beauty.

Shunji presents a limited edition soboro US wagyu don. It’s (as expected) delicious. Ground American wagyu, simmered in soy sauce, dashi, and sake, then spread over a bed of steamed rice. The goodies include marinated ebi, quail egg, spring veggies, and bafun uni. It’s pure joy to eat. (And yes, this IS a uni+corn don…)

15 Likes

That bowtie pasta looks and sounds super good. Did you have to heat it up before eating it?

Good stuff! Shunji’s washugyu soboro reminds me of Taiwanese style rou zhou, but without the mushrooms, onions, and fat!.

1 Like

No, I ate them as soon as I got home. Jame Enoteca’s to-go food is packaged ready-to-eat.

Thanks @NYCtoLA for your post! I’ve been meaning to do a Ktown trip and combine Iki with a stop at Music Plaza (my daughter is a Kpop fan). Since the music store is closed, we made a special trip just to Iki instead.

Everything was perfectly executed and the soup was still piping hot by the time we got back to West LA. Will be back for those bento boxes!

11 Likes

For some reason, cravings and satisfaction levels increase exponentially during these crazy times for roasties. Roast duck and char siu from Cheung Hing (Millbrae) near SFO

Costco’s Chablis Premier Cru 2017 Kirkland label
is quite delightful and fun even at $20

Chicken karaage don from Izakaya Ginji hits the spot

New from Sushi Yoshizumi: toro, ikura and uni donburi. Some kegani added on top. Splendid AF.

A second visit to Caffe:In, a shaved snow boba shop that offers a signature creme brûlée Taiwanese thick toast.

15 Likes