April 2021 Rundown

Celebrated being fully microchipped with our first time eating at a restaurant since last March at Post and Beam. Big outdoor tent with heaters. Drinks were great (or maybe I just forgot how much better drinks made by not-me are?). This is the…remnants of the Foxy Brown:

Cornbread was fine, not super flavorful.

I was a huge fan of the catfish. The batter was crunchy and flavorful and the chimichurri on the fish and dirty rice was garlicky and great. It was also notably hot (temperature) to me. The difference between actually eating at a restaurant and takeout :wink:

It also came with a smoky hot sauce that I enjoyed.

We also got the short rib, which didn’t quite reach the heights of the catfish to me but was still a nice hunk of meat. As usual, I wish there was like 4x the horseradish as came with it.

We also got a side of the Brussels sprouts, which were tasty and crunchy.

Overall an enjoyable return to seeing other humans.

15 Likes

Fat + Flour -

I grew up eating strawberry shortcake with grocery store strawberries, the canned whipped cream or Cool Whip, and those Hostess shortcakes made of the same batter as Twinkies. Strawberries, cake, and cream remain one of my all-time favorites…but Chef Nicole Rucker’s version utilizing her biscuit slightly sweetened as the shortcake and macerated Harry’s Berries strawberries with fresh whipped cream is resplendent.
I got two and had one a day. Pro tip: the next day, put a room temperature shortcake/biscuit in the toaster oven and heat at 300 for about 7 minutes. Then top with strawberries and whipped cream…I do a layer of strawberries, cream, and then more strawberries. The slightly warmed biscuit is a nice contrast to the cold strawberries and cream.

Angry Egret Dinette -
The Hey Porky’s is the spouse’s favorite thing on the menu. It’s his favorite breakfast burrito period.

These fish tacos were legit! I don’t know how Chef Avila batters it in a way where it’s light and airy…and is still crispy after the 35 minute drive home. The finest fish taco I’ve ever had.
Shout out to the kanpachi ceviche that was also on Sunday’s lunch menu. It tasted like summer on a Mexican beach to me.

Pearl River Deli -
Gotta love the weekend specials! Gai lan with beef, braised pork with mustard greens, and mouth watering chicken. It made for a satisfying lunch for the fam with the AED items.

All Day Baby -
Tried their Toki-Yaki bowl specials with the whiskey cocktails. The bowls were tasty, but that sauce! The sauce was a complex house-made teriyaki sauce with chile crisp oil crispies…so heat, sweet, sour, umami…loved the complex sauce. Should have bought a bottle of sauce for home use.
Obligatory biscuits, scones, and PB&J Fluffernutter cookies to go…note because of the moisture of the jam and house-made vanilla bean fluffernutter, the cookies do not hold up well the next day. They lose their crisp, so eat them the same day if you love textural contrast.

19 Likes

Went to the Window at American Beauty… again.

No photos. No patience, had to eat.

But the takeaway is that Wifey said the outdoor dining area now has more tables and a small fire pit (maybe two).

Had a damn awesome burger.

This remains one of T-H-E best QPR places around.

6 Likes

We were just there this week too! We hadn’t drove by in a while and was surprised at the outdoor set up. Looked like they just fenced off that entire front parking lot. I parked in the 15 minute slots that used to be the driveway into the parking lot.

Did seem to be a nice set up for outdoor dining if you’re into that. I ordered online, walked up to window and grabbed my order to go. All fast and easy and evaded the couple of people wandering around the outdoor dining without any masks on.

Agree on how good the burger is and QPR.

4 Likes

:round_pushpin: Tacos Los Güichos, 320 W. Slauson Avenue, Florence, South LA

This spot seems to get some general meh from this board. I’ve been going a lot in the past year and strongly disagree.

During a weekday morning and afternoon, the black trailer that houses this business might go unnoticed parked in the corner of a busy lot where people come to get propane tanks filled and the wheels on their rides a new look. But drive by at night and the flames from the double trompo setup are almost visible from the 110.

Always beautifully sculpted and spinning, a bit less red-stained from achiote than usual, this stretch of Slauson called the “Pollo Loco Corridor” by Bill Esparza because of its many grilled chicken stands, is also home to some of the most consistently good tacos al pastor ($2, below) in the entire city.

The tortillas here are packaged, but the talented D.F.-style taqueros making your tacos put love into every single one. They all crisp up nicely, griddled in oil right at their trompo just before the meat is sliced into them. As always, eating these tacos right away when the plate hits your hand is recommended.

There are no pineapples crowning the trompo here and thus no slices making their way into your tacos, but the tropical fruit makes its presence known from the marinade. If you happen to come here during hours where neither the tacos al pastor or the weekend carnitas are available, go for a torta or alambre rather than tacos of the more standard meats.

And about those carnitas? It has been over a decade that the weekend specialty has not declined in quality at all. If you have ever been to Mexico City and walked around on a weekend morning, you have probably happened across vendors cooking their carnitas in large metal vats, constantly stirring until the cuts of an entire hog are ready to chop up and throw on tortillas.

This is the style here on Slauson at Tacos Los Güichos as well, sticking to their capital traditions. You can of course order these carnitas by the pound, and many do, presumably taking them home and putting them on their own spreads, but you can also order tacos ($2, above) to consume immediately. Say yes to everything and they also get a light pour of their delicious vinegar-based red salsa, which cuts the fat and interacts perfectly, even when you cannot get a ton of juice out of those spring-season limes.

21 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/la.eater.com/platform/amp/2021/4/16/22380248/lincoln-heights-avenue-26-market-street-vendors-tiktok-los-angeles-news

Anyone been?

Used to go get churros on that block before covid. Never liked the tacos at Ave 26 much, but it was a fun experience. This seems… less fun to me; I was out after the 4th time they brought up TikTok.

4 Likes

Las Posas farm in Camarillo. We’re getting closer. So red ripe juicy and sweet. These were much better than 2 weeks ago and can’t wait to try again in a few more weeks.

17 Likes

That center is glorious. I might drive up that way just to get strawberries.

3 Likes

Grabbed a pepperoni slice ($4) at Prime in Burbank.

Damn good slice. I think this may be my second favorite slice joint for NYC-style slices. Still like Grimaldi’s and Pizza Wagon best for pies, as 1-1A. But this is a solid slice.

Cornicione was a bit hard, not risen at all, but tasty.

I like that they are consistently thin.

They do a good job with the pandemic. Orders placed at an outdoor window and picked up at another window. Couple of tables outside for dining.

11 Likes

I have! The last time I went, which was a few weeks ago, it had way more vendors than it had when I went prior to the pandemic. Also, the Ave 26 taco truck was not there. I’m not sure if that is typical now or if it was a one-off event.

Overall, it is a fun atmosphere with a ton of items to choose from. The quality from vendor to vendor varies, as you would expect. I haven’t had anything there that was knock-your-socks-off good, but I have had some solid food. It is worth a trip for the experience, particularly if you want to try a large variety of different street food in one location. Note that there are not really places to sit, so you tend to wander from vendor to vendor eating what you just purchased and hoping to find a garbage can as you figure out your next move.

Given how big this thing has grown, my prediction is that the whole operation will be shut down.

2 Likes

Secretly the best part of any Malibu beach trip

1 Like

I bought madeleines from WF made whipped cream and topped with strawberries. Wow. So delicious.

4 Likes

Catching up with a couple spots featuring baked goods:

First up: Banana Bread

Fat + Flour x Bianca x Lodge

Fat + Flour’s Banana Blondie bulked up in a slightly tweaked iteration (Chef Rucker believes she’s got it dialed into where she wants it now) and it now much more like a blondie than its previous cookie-like slab form when it first debuted. While it is lost some of its gooeyness in the transition it has thicker slices of banana, more chocolate chips, and is overall a more satisfying butterscotchy bite.

Bianca serves a more traditional slice of banana bread loaf that’s not overpowering in any way. So while it won’t blow you away with flavor, it’s satisfyingly dense, moist, and does still have enough banana flavor where it would be unmistakable in a blind taste test.

Lodge’s Oat Banana Bread is an expression of what a bread bakery actually wants out of a pastry case item. It’s more of a straight up oat bread that’s slightly sweetened and has only a hint of banana. It’s got the shape and bite you’d expect, but the banana is lost among a stronger oat flavor.

Best to get if you want a banana dessert: Fat + Flour
Best to get if you want a banana bread: Bianca
Best to get if you’re picking up bread: Lodge

Hail Mary

Hail Mary has been putting on a bit of Sunday brunch lately with a well stocked pastry case. While they’re prolific for turning out an astounding amount of pizza, don’t sleep on their other offerings.

The cinnamon bun is super sticky, but not overpoweringly sweet and the dough has a nice lightness to it so it tears apart easy. The notes of caramel are quite nice.

I did enjoy the toffee cake more though–it must be one of the most moist cakes I’ve ever had, and with hints of orange it’s pretty incredible.

Katsu Sando

Checked in with a Chicken Sando given all the back-and-forth over DB vs. HR and just so we’re all clear, both of those are better than Katsu Sando when it comes to a FCS.

This was still good, but clearly not in that upper tier. It’s quite a large piece of chicken that’s still juicy (even featuring a bit of a ledge as well) and the OMG sauce is something I would eat with a spoon. The breading was starting to come apart–but it was fine–fried chicken’s floor is still fairly high.

12 Likes

Brought breakfast sandwiches and OG oatcakes from the new Breakfast by Salt’s Cure to the beach. Our third time already and we’re big fans. Sandwich is a fairly standard breakfast sandwich with good flavor from the sausage and just enough runniness from the egg to be interesting but not so much that it gets sloppy. The oatcakes are sweet and caramelized and actually hold up pretty darn well as leftovers too.

5 Likes

Sisig (Historic Filipinotown)… Great local addition, on Temple, just across the street from the LA Downtown Medical Center. Their namesake sisig is luscious and satisfying - Enjoy it with some Java rice. Lumpia are pretty good. Maja Blanca dessert was ok (gonna try the Taho instead the next time I go)…

Sushi Kaneyoshi (Little Tokyo)… Premium Chirashi always delivers. Thanks to Yoshi-san for the terrific ankimo supplement.

Burrito King (Echo Park)… The carne asada was excellent. I can’t believe I finished it all.

Otomisan (Boyle Heights) and Fat & Flour (Downtown) takeout bang-bang for office lunch. Every frickin’ bite of the Otomisan was soulful and made with love - the beef curry, croquettes, gyoza, tempura, even the fluffy steamed rice… And Chef Nicole’s sour cherry slice and legendary-status CCC really satisfied the sweet tooth as well…

Paderia Bakehouse (Santa Monica) is a chain which brings SGV-level egg tarts to the Westside. Their thick CCC is pretty decent, too.

Of course, while the Paderia Portuguese egg tart is a worthy competitor, the KING of the Portuguese egg tart in SoCal is still found at Portugal Imports (Artesia) - It is flaky, dense but light, sweet but never overly so - Just a wondrous pastry. I cannot stop eating these things.

Of course, at Portugal Imports, they carry bacalhau in all its glory.

Mashti Malone’s (Westwood) is in its soft opening phase at its newest location. The usual rosewater bastani and faloodeh are available, but there are also flavors like ginger rosewater, date and ataulfo mango. The only quibble I have is that I find the texture/consistency of the ice cream a bit too gummy. I hope they’ll work on it.

18 Likes

I had seen the sign but had never thought to look it up. AWESOME. Thanks.

1 Like

No malasadas at the Santa Monica Paderia though (at least for now?)

I didn’t see any on my last visit there. But it just opened, and the menu will likely expand… Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Last time I checked, the malasadas were exclusive to the Fountain Valley location. :cry:

1 Like