April 2021 Rundown

I think the original Paderia opened in Fountain Valley but they weren’t making Portuguese egg tarts back then. Their main seller were the Malasadas. I’m glad they were able to expand to a few locations now. and @J_L is correct, their cookie game is strong and should be entered into the CCC Death Match.

5 Likes

Isn’t gumminess a hallmark of Persian ice cream? I’ve only had it at Saffron and Rose and Hollywood Mashti Malones so I could be wrong.

True, to a point. But I feel the case here is that the gumminess is way overboard, detracting from enjoyment of the ice cream as a whole.

1 Like

I’ve never made it to Mashti Malones- is it similar to dondurma? I’ve never had that, either, since salep supposedly isn’t exported outside Turkey (although you can find it online) so I’m completely without reference for either ice cream

I too find the ice cream texture not great EXCEPT when it is used as part of this ice cream sandwich like thing.

5 Likes

Totally agree re: cookies, and I like their chocolate cookies best. They have triple chocolate (chocolate cookie w/ both dark and milk choc chips) and chocolate w/ peanut butter chips. I usually don’t like chocolate cookies because they don’t taste enough of chocolate, but Paderia’s are pretty dark, like they’re crossed with brownies.

2 Likes

Went to Top Round for a beef on a weck.

Damn hot horseradish.

The main reason for my post is to complain that they charge $1 PER SAUCE?

Oh, and it’s not just $1 for round sauce, it’s $1 for ketchup, $1 for mustard.

They can blow me for $1.

Sorry, I’m feeling vile.

4 Likes

For ketchup and mustard? :-1:t2:

Is it made in house or something?

Sorry, wifey told me tonight they gave her the ketchup for free in packets. The dipping version they charge.

But they do charge for the mustard, BBQ, horseradish or round sauces.

1 Like

Cubano from A Cut Above. I know it’s not canon, but the pickled jalapeños were very additive.

13 Likes

That Cubano is great. An excellent sandwich. If I lived anywhere nearby I’d eat once a month.

At 5:30pm, planned on Brothers Cousins. Got fries and drinks across the street at McDonalds. But then, alas, they weren’t ready when we were. 30 minutes until they would be ready to take orders…

…So off to Tacomiendo we went.

Tacos Dorados. I could seriously eat 20 of these.

Asada Quesadilla

Side of carne asada

Dashboard salsa

13 Likes

Saw a sign on Golden States gate saying they were operating out of Cofax a few doors down. I didn’t check if that was true but Cofax was still open at 6:30.

If I hadn’t had a burger earlier today I would have tried to order.

6 Likes

Almond strawberry croissant from goodboybob

7 Likes

Rita’s Gate of India takeout. Chef special curry with lamb, saag paneer, and samosa. We slightly deviated from the usual order by getting meat samosa; it was still really fresh and good but I think the veggie one is better. Chef special curry and saag paneer were even better than usual. One of the more reliable spots in SaMo.

3 Likes

Pikunico x Perilla

Chef Kuniko and Chef Kim teamed up for a limited chicken dup bap, which features Perilla’s 1 year aged kimchi, with marinated kombu, pickled shishito peppers, and Pikunico’s tenders over ginger rice. Perilla’s kimchi packed a real punch and had such an addictive intensity that balanced well against the fried chicken and ginger rice. It’s a banger, and a reminder that for all the great fried chicken in LA, Pikunico’s might be the most underrated. Special shout out to the seasoned egg, Pikunico’s 6th man of the year (it’s signature move is getting that yolk mixed up with the rice).

There were a couple groups also eating at Pikunico, and it’s one of those smaller kind of out of the way spots that I’m always rooting to survive with the reduced foot traffic. I think this special is supposed to run a couple weeks, so it may only go through this weekend or the next if you’re trying to grab it.

12 Likes

La espanola market. House bocadillo worth all the hype. Tuna bocadillo with olives also not bad.

Paella negra really bad. Just tasted of overpowering squid ink, seafood was over cooked and rice was dry. No soccorat.

12 Likes

How was the sandwich? We were in love with TR for the first year then things went downhill. Something was always wrong. Custards are pretty good iirc.

2 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

Excellent.

During the first 6 months of Covid, they were horrible. I got a sandwich that was almost all gristle, and sinewy. Yuck. Owner claimed in a PM they were not able to get beef top rounds.

Gone 3 times in the last month or two, back to the way they were. You HAVE to get the $1 extra beef. Though now, you’ll also have to spend $4 in sauces (pricks).

Great tots :slight_smile:

5 Likes