Are you still dining indoors during the latest Covid surge?

Oh, I have decades of medical and scientific background and read avidly…and am able to understand and also evaluate the reputation of the sites.

Airline propaganda aside, everyone knows that planes are good places to catch a virus. Sure, they filter, but the ventilation system draws some passengers’ exhalations past other passengers, who breathe them in. And there’s no filtering when you’re sitting on the tarmac and they shut off the AC. Dropping the mask mandate was absurdly stupid.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/3/20-4714_article

1 Like

Caught Covid beg of april when mask mandate was still ongoing on planes. Took the plane, couple subway rides and bus rides. Everyone was masked on public trans. One indoor meal. One outdoor zoo trip.

I got it, wife/kid did not on the trip.

Only thing I took without them was a 30 min bus ride to grab our rental car.

shrug. No rhyme or reason.

7 Likes

This thread has me super excited about my work trip to NYC and Philly next week.

18 Likes

Luckily you can just get your pizza, sandwiches, bagels, etc to-go and enjoy it at the park or in your hotel room.

What food/restaurants are on your to-do list in NYC/Philly?

2 Likes

That’s the most likely.

I’m there for work related events so most likely won’t get much accomplished. My office in Philly is at Comcast Center. Any recommendations for solo dining Sunday night? I land at 7:30pm.

My office in NYC is in Times Square. Two of the best ever locations for food. I’m also a huge NY Rangers fan so the game will likely dictate lots of beverages and food being secondary this trip.

I’ll be going out of my way for some pizza at some point and hoping to bring back a dozen bagels on my way to JFK.

2 Likes

99c fresh pizza is an experience that cannot be replicated in LA.

1 Like

FIFY
There is a Joe’s Pizza in Times Square. That will have to do.

2 Likes

Seems pretty unlikely that I did and no one at my table did. But whatever. Neither of us are medical professionals. Can only guess.

30 minute bus ride is as likely of a culprit if you think planes are still infection points. Bus is even worse.

I was just back in Philly in October. Sundays, a lot of the best restaurants are closed (including, ironically, the restaurant called “Friday Saturday Sunday”) or close earlier than will work given your ETA; however, there are still some good to excellent choices, depending on what time you get into the City from the airport:

Barclay Prime – [Steakhouse] 237 S. 18th (215) 732-7560

Buddakan - [Asian fusion] 325 Chestnut St. (215) 574-9440
https://buddakan.com [closes at 9pm]

Butcher & Singer – [Steakhouse] 1500 Walnut St. (215) 732-4444
http://www.butcherandsinger.com/

Fork (New American) – 306 Market St. (215) 625-9425

Forsythia - [Fr. Bistro] 233 Chestnut St. (215) 644 . 9395

Vetri Cucina – [alta cucina Italian] 1312 Spruce (215) 732-3478 $135 prix-fixe
https://vetricucina.com – one of my favorite Philly restaurants

3 Likes

If everybody was masked on the bus I still figure the restaurant’s the most likely. There are a lot of factors. People’s immunity levels vary. So does the number of virus particles they happen to inhale. If you look at the diagram a few posts back of infection on an airplane the distribution of who got infected and who didn’t looks pretty random. If we had an airflow diagram it might look less so.

I don’t know Philly well but my buddy who lives in Rittenhouse Sq said Vernick or Vernick Fish are really good.

2 Likes

Sunday night in Philly in Center City….like what NewTrial said pretty limited.

However Monday for lunch you should definitely try Dizengoff and Goldie. Both are from Chef Solomonov. If you love Cortinas Rocky Balboa than head down to Reading Terminal for a roast pork with sharp provolone, broccoli rabe, and some long/sweet hots at DiNic’s.

It’s in South Philly but if you have a chance Angelo’s Pizzeria on 9th/Fitzwater is spectacular and worth the hype. The pizza, cheesesteaks, hoagies all of it. Right next to it is Sarcones Bakery you gotta try a seeded roll and a tomato pie. You might be able to walk in as a single diner to Zahav or Laser Wolf right when they open.

Midtown NYC?

Best Bagels and Coffee might be the best option for bagels for breakfast. Or hit up a coffee cart or bodega for a baconeggcheese and a coffee in those blue cups with greek lettering. 39th and 8th in the southwest quadrant is cart called Coffee Guys. They do a baconeggcheese but you have to ask for the verde sauce. You can’t get that at a Domimican or middle eastern runned bodega. They run out of bacon and verde by 9am just to let you know the word of mouth popularity. King of Falafel has a cart in midtown if you need lunch.

That’s their menu so you don’t go to the wrong one.

John’s of Bleecker for pizza! By out of the way do you mean Brooklyn/Queens?

If you want to make one meal a priority there is Cote high end Korean steakhouse in the flatiron.

There is a Joe’s but I was always told to go to the one on Carmine!

5 Likes

Even if you were medical professionals, it’s still so hard to determine (unless the cause is super obvious). Hope your recovery was uncomplicated.

1 Like

Oh, if people are giving some random dining recs on this thread, here’s a link to a thread about an upcoming road trip (in case anyone has recs for that):

3 Likes

Both are good choices (Vernick Fish is even in the Comcast building, as I recall)…just not on a Sunday.

Flying in to Newark for a wedding in Great Neck today. I assume (New York) Penn Station and environs is still a food dead zone?

Sorry about having to fly into EWR. Haven’t been in a long while, but didn’t a new food court/hall thing open there recently?