Are you still dining indoors during the latest Covid surge?

I haven’t bewn to NYC in way too long, but skimming Yelp, there’s good-seeming food within a few blocks of Penn Station.

There is Chelsea Market about 15 blocks away.

Or just go to a bodega and get a BEC or a chopped cheese lol

1 Like

Is it at Leonards?

2 Likes

Funny, I had the same initial thought. Many years ago, my Dad was supposed to meet my Mom at a reception at Leonard’s and was surprised he had gotten there before her. So he started to enjoy the party and mingle. After a while, he realized he did not recognize anyone there and discovered that he was in the wrong one of Leonard’s several ballrooms, all of which were in use that night.

7 Likes

It was indeed! Ended up just having food with family but thanks all for the recs.

2 Likes

Leonard’s. Jesus Christ - though not really his scene/peeps. What an institution.

2 Likes

Been to many Bar Mitzvahs at Leonard’s. The first “fine” dining place my parents ever took us to was Cookies on Northern Blvd maybe a mile away. They had an all you can eat shrimp bar and it was the first time I ever ordered a steak at a restaurant. Brings back a lot of memories.

5 Likes

Grew up very close to there and went to Seven Seas Diner way too many times to count. Last restaurant I remember eating in that had a smoking section…

Yeah, I’ve brought back from there to the Marquis before. Just note it’s a Joe’s for tourists outlet. Good, not great.

SEC please. :wink: I miss hard rolls.

1 Like

100% definitely not as good as Bleecker St but better than Orange County, CA. Hahaha.

True, lived in NY the first 35 years of my life so kind of picky even now when I go home. And now when I go for work I end up in the Times Square/Rock Center area more often than not. It’s a pizza wasteland honestly. And I’m just looking for a great NY style slice, preferably with eggplant cutlet style.

Tell me if you find one. My NYC office is in 46th and 6th. There are a bunch of good coffee places like Four Five, Gumption and the Italian espresso joint. I tried Black Seed Bagel at 30 Rock and was disappointed. It was well regarded when they started out in Brooklyn.

I went to lunch at Ocean Prime and it seems like a lot of law firms and finance firms are back. A bunch of corporate chain type places like Del Frisco were filled with people in suits.

Oh, Robert! Do you think it’s time to break this discussion off to a new thread? I’d like to hear more about people’s experiences and opinions about dining indoors vs. outdoors in LA, with all due respect to those waxing nostalgic about NYC and Philly., as this IS the Los Angeles forum… :wink:

2 Likes

I will add to that discussion— I haven’t dined indoors since pre-covid and don’t plan on it any time soon. With the increased omni infections rates since December, and so many of my friends and co-workers getting sick since the beginning of the year, I’m not going to take that risk. Most of them had very slow recoveries and are still dealing with residual effects.

My bday was yesterday (unfortunately for me it’s one with a “zero” attached to the number of years and not something fun like 40) and I was planning on going to visit my folks in Tucson next weekend— I just cancelled on them. I don’t even want to mix and mingle with unmasked people all around me right now.

I’ll eat outside in a non-crowded, well spaced restaurant, but I’m still mostly cooking/eating at home or doing a small amount of take out.

7 Likes