Assorted Articles about Covid-19 and Food

Hanson and Nasr … argued that the absurdly high number of meals they had to cook was detrimental to the food’s quality. They were right, of course, but when you’re surfing the crest of a terrific wave, it’s hard to think about the sharks lurking beneath.

There was a similar (knockoff?) restaurant in SF that was killed by that kind of success.

2 Likes

Sat at the bar at Balthazar eight or nine years ago. Loved that meal. Had steak au poivre, a manhattan and a sidecar

1 Like

I think I hear you.

When will it be possible to have that kind of memory again?

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

I wonder when my chilanga DH and I will be able to go back to Mexico City. And what will it look like when we do. So much destroyed, almost like the devastation after a war.

3 Likes

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/California-s-essential-workers-dying-in-greater-15893374.php

1 Like

I can’t read this article w/o subscribing, but yes, what they’re headlining is pretty obviously true, vis-à-vis all of the demographics data, and it’s also pretty easy to understand why it’s true.

Vaccine priorities should take these kinds of vulnerabilities into account, not just age in and of itself, IMO.

I don’t subscribe and could read that.

This headline is 180 degrees from the facts discussed in the article.

“To continue reading, subscribe now”. That’s the message that appears in a big box about 3 seconds after the SF Chronicle article comes up. Not sure why you’re able to read w/o subscribing. I’ve tried several times. Strange.

I found the Mercury News article very interesting.

Workers in these categories need to be vaccinated with high priority, and the impediments to their doing so addressed immediately.

My browser might be blocking the pop-up.

Another baffling policy change by Newsom:

1 Like

This latest change, shifting high-risk individuals to lower priority, has me gnashing my teeth. I cannot figure out the logic here. I am assuming it’s a political decision, as I can’t imagine any public health people - or anyone working on the medical front lines - advocating for this as an evidence-based/data-driven decision.

ETA: Also don’t understand why the administrative side people in healthcare - including many who are working from home - have been given priority over higher-risk populations.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a friend who got hers and works for the marketing department in a major hospital. She’s been completely work from home… made PERMANENT work from home. Still was called in for a Vaccine. I don’t begrudge her, if you have the opportunity, take it. It makes one less person in those later groups. But honestly, this just goes to show the priority that healthcare companies are giving this. Honestly, it was just easier to say… we have 2,000 employees… get 2,000 vaccines ready, instead of parsing them out. Even though it’s been a clusterfluff so far… my dad got his vaccine today because he went straight through the county site. Cedars sent out a letter… don’t call your doctor about this…

1 Like

“This isn’t like getting leukemia, where you can do everything right and get leukemia and die. With this, you have a choice.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/michigan-restaurants-covid-restrictions/2021/01/30/e97b53ba-5b49-11eb-a976-bad6431e03e2_story.html

The quote I highlighted pretty much sums up my feelings, with the added caveat that each person’s decisions has potential ramifications far beyond their own health and well-being.

It’s somewhat the equivalent of drinking and driving: fine if one chooses to consume alcohol (or other substances) at home but the minute one chooses to get behind the wheel while impaired … .

There are numerous ethics issues in all of this.

How will this end? Through a combination of infection- and vaccination-induced herd immunity.

Beyond that, we’ll all probably have to get annual covid shots, along with flu shots, to cover the many likely variants each season.

Deaths from covid will be no more common than those accompanying the annual flu. Which of course is not to say that’s ok, but it’s something we’ve always lived with without widespread societal disruption including business closings, mortal anxiety, and angst. We won’t wear masks, restaurants will be open, indoors and out, and there won’t be table spacing requirements. Enclosed, indoor places will have better ventilation than in 2019. Life will be blissfully normal again.

In two years.

It might be a little premature to suggest that Covid-19 will become just like the seasonal flu. A lot will depend on how the virus mutates and how the mutations affect the efficacy of vaccines. Those are issues that are not yet fully understood. And then you have the problem that the case fatality rate for Covid-19 is about an order of magnitude higher than for the seasonal flu. So quite likely, deaths will be more common.

One problem is that “outdoor dining” is not a very well defined concept due to the fact that many restaurants put up structures to shield patrons from wind and rain. I’ve dined outdoors at places that completely lacked such structures and I’ve dined “outdoors” in what was essentially a tent with one of its four walls missing. And everything in between. Unless wind protection screens are part of the equation, and that’s tricky, claiming that outdoor dining is or isn’t risky is almost meaningless. Alternatively, there could be clear, uniform, and enforced rules for what structures are allowed. These were shut down by authorities, but it’s doubtful that the rules are clear, uniform, and enforced.

1 Like