Asterid - Disney Concert Hall

Not my photography, official event photos. I took the ones on the table.

1 Like

Can a tinned fish board be better than a charcuterie board?” I don’t know but am so willing to find out!

1 Like

Bar Maruno has some crazy good tinned seafood options, FWIW. I expect @J_L will be posting on it shortly.

3 Likes

wasn’t impressed with the selection of tins at bar muruno compared to the 40+ at kippered. but more importantly, the jyan isaac bread that accompanied it was awful.

review forthcoming?

4 Likes

Kippered tinned fish >>>>>>>> Bar Maruno tinned fish.

You mean :poop: forthcoming?

3 Likes

That sucks. I’ve really enjoyed the bread from jyan isaac

1 Like

Have you been? It’s on my list for the next DTLA excursion.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to try Kippered.
I thought he mackerel pate and tuna belly at Maruno were excellent. Agree that the bread wasn’t great - I had no idea where it came from.

2 Likes

Kippered uses wonderful Clark Street demi-baguettes, specially baked for them.
Rapido (the sister bodega next door to Bar Moruno) carries Jyan Isaac breads.

2 Likes

review forthcoming

2 Likes

hmm… have others tried it too?

looking at reviews im not sure if I’d try this. I was WOW’D by Broken Spanish when it was open in every way and doesn’t sound like this place has that wow factor other than the expensive tamale.

It is purposefully not like Broken Spanish. A couple dishes, but it was a more international flair. So going into it hoping it’s Broken Spanish will probably lead to some disappointment.

1 Like

I would also add that the location in the hall means that on 50% or more nights they will be doing large pre theater/concert business so the menu has to be appropriately approachable I reckon.

1 Like

I’m not looking for it to be Broken Spanish, but reading the reviews I would like the reaction to be “wow” and don’t see it in many of the dishes besides the tamale as said

The tartare and chicken liver mousse were “wows” to me besides the caviar. Enough so that I’d go back and order those three again plus try other stuff. I don’t see Asterid as a one trick pony, so it’s worth a shot.

2 Likes

I also thought the Ceviche was excellent.

Went last night, ceviche was great and so was the liver mousse. Actually the food was pretty good all around. Yet, I do not see myself coming back. To me, the restaurant lacks personality and theme. There seems to be a little something to appear to everyone, but I do not feel like eating chicken liver mousse and ceviche side by side. By the way, it was nearly empty Sunday night. I would be shocked if it will survive in its current form.

2 Likes

The main back dining room lacks character for sure. I am not sure if they can get by on just pre-theater, and how much they will attract from Music Center over and above REDCAT, if not it could be a struggle. But the next time I’m invited to an event with unlimited tartar, caviar/tamal and cocktails I’m going. :wink:

It definitely survives on the theater crowd. I think once the businesses on bunker hill come back it’ll be a big draw as well.

Well here’s to hoping some folks go back to the office. With the Jose Andres joints opening across the street, Otium around the corner and the rest of it there’s a lot of restaurants seats to be filled in that area.