Asterid - Disney Concert Hall

Agree. It’s a Levy restaurant and it shows. Every progressive pre-theater visit is more and more disappointing. Last reser, they texted the afternoon of our reser with immune compromised clients who cannot eat inside (and we’re not eating inside either) because they had a patio buyout and they don’t check their patio resers until the day of. The GM generously offered to waive their cancellation fee if we chose not to come :roll_eyes:. As much as we like Chef Ray, I told him we’re done there. It’s a corporate gig for him.

That gave us a chance to eat on the roof at Cara Cara on a glorious day with Caroline Styne pouring us Muga with chickpea fritters and fried piri piri chicken I can’t stop thinking about. So delicious :yum: !!! That’ll be our pre-theater standard.

5 Likes

Warrior: Asterid is good. The chef is one of the top chefs in LA. Dishes are well designed. Chicken was well executed. Broth for risotto was too watery and rice was slightly overcooked for risotto, but otherwise execution was on point. Good staff. Just not the right location. I’ve never met anyone who likes going to opera / theater / etc. I’ve never been able to make it through a whole performance.

Peony: I totally agree with Warrior. The chef has a good understanding of food and the dishes are well designed, plus the chef has a good palate. All the flavor combinations worked well tonight. Definitely spotted some Broken Spanish elements, but the chef has successfully created a different style from Broken Spanish. Looking forward to visiting in the future to see how they grow over time.

3 Likes

Personally, I do not agree that Cara Cara is near the same level as Asterid.

Ergo you don’t think opera / theater is good? Or do you mean you aren’t sure why there are restaurants catering to it?

I like the format of your reviews with the double takes, but found this comment confusing.

1 Like

Right. I don’t think opera / theater is good. Wagner did very good stuff musically, in spurts, but even his operas are insufferable as a whole. Point being: this restaurant probably isn’t going to be able to survive based on the opera / theater crowd.

Delightful

2 Likes

Love the photos, Peony.

Penoy: Thanks @TheCookie! I really like the lovely pictures on your posts, too!

1 Like

I didn’t infer it was the same level as Cara Cara. Cara Cara is much more casual, but it serves as a better pre-theater/opera/symphony/chorale choice IMHO.

Asterid is really not an ideal pre-performance spot.

1 Like

That’s funny.
I always joke that it is my firm belief that the theater will never really “make it” as an art form, because (other than matinees) it forces one rush to dinner in early, or late (the latter is much easier in NYC, than LA but still is a PIA).
And yet, lo and behold, it is our civilizations longest running art form.
#fuckaristophanes

6 Likes

you’re missing the concert crowd! That’s the real driver to Asterid.

1 Like

That’s fine. More opera tickets for me! #ClassicalSingingAndStagingAreWorthyOfSupport

#ExceptChineseOpera #WheneverGrandpaDustsOffTheRecordingsIVacateThePremises

6 Likes

I was really hoping Nils Frahm would play the concert hall next time he was in town just so I had a reason to make it to Asterid. Sadly he’s playing elsewhere.