August 2016 Weekend Rundown

Ass kickin ddukbokki & chickin feet @ Yup Dokk

6 Likes

My husband’s already a fan, and I love Gjelina Take Away, so I think we’re in for a good meal. This is one instance where I think it’ll fulfill expectations. Thanks, @A5KOBE, and your meal looks glorious!

Okay, I’m gonna go with the veggie sandwich, @Chowseeker1999. Can’t wait to dig in. Thanks as always for your culinary wisdom!

3 Likes

Even the chickens have bigger breasts in LA :fire: :chicken: :poop: #theyrerealandtheyrespectacular #worthit

9 Likes

#Gjusta

Anybody know how many calories you burn when you eat your lunch standing up? #askingforafriend

smoked brisket butcher

vegetable

pork and corn pie

6 Likes

You burn more calories standing up. But my incredibly healthy 90 yr old homeopath says it’s also the reason I get heartburn. He says he is the last person to leave the dinner table and people should slow down and enjoy their meals. I have yet to accomplish that goal

Oh yeah
 Your meal looks great!

1 Like

A trip to La Super Rica Santa Barbara.

6 Likes

Yesterday was a Gjelina family doubleheader. Stopped in at Gjusta in the morning for a couple of pastries and some pickled vegetables. Buckwheat banana bread, fig Danish (looks a little burnt but didn’t taste that way), beets and fennel to be exact. And no, I didn’t eat them all together.

I know Gjusta is justly perceived to be expensive, albeit worth it, but I think the various pickled and preserved vegetables are a great deal at $4-5 each. They can turn a simple green salad into something special with zero effort.

Then there was dinner at Gjelina. I have to order the heirloom tomato salad whenever it’s available. I counted 7 different kinds of tomatoes. Plus some thinly sliced radish, cucumber, and red onion, really good olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Simple and beautiful and delicious.

And finally a pasta that was new enough to not be on the online menu so I don’t have the exact description. Whole wheat penne with sautĂ©ed leeks and mushrooms. Really really good.

7 Likes

Hi @cookiemonster,

Nice! :slight_smile: What’s Gjusta’s pickled fennel like? This sounds like a winner to add to salads as you mention; thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999 - the fennel is flavored with lemon, fennel seeds, and maybe coriander? Lemon is definitely dominant.

1 Like

Moon House Westwood

3 Likes

The bao looks great. How was the duck?

The duck was wonderful and only $15 for 1/2 a duck with the buns.

1 Like

Sweet. I work near Westwood, but not close enough to eat there regularly. We get a lot of delivery. Moon House didn’t deliver. But now with all the delivery services it’s great!

1 Like

They do now

1 Like

The Galley last night!

3 Likes

Maple block

7 Likes

#Belcampo

100 Day Dry-Aged Burger, so old it just told me to get off its lawn

Scotch egg, chorizo, chipotle jam, and pickled fresno chili

10 Likes

I had a very special meal at Anaya last night. It is one of my favorite places to go for comfort food, but I have typically ordered just the classics–chilaquiles, enchiladas verdes, carne asada burritos, and the best chicken mole tacos in town. Last night however I ventured into the specials and had two of the best Mexican dishes I’ve had in LA.

The first dish I had was an off-menu special of carne en se jugo. As the name implies, it is a rich beef broth filled with strips of tender carne asada, bacon, beans, onions, cilantro, and peppers. It is served with hand made flour tortillas, sliced avocado, and a nopales salsa. The tortillas mean there are two ways to eat this. You can create tacos out of the ingredients in the soup, squeezing lime and hot sauce over the top. Or you can dig into it as a soup. This is one of those dishes that just gets better and better as you go. Here is a partial picture.

The second–and arguably better–special was the Manny’s barbacoa. I honestly enjoyed this as much or more than the lamb I’ve had at aqui es texcoco. Very tender chunks of lamb bathed in a wonderful, home made chipotle sauce, served alongside home made corn tortillas, nopales salad, onions, cilantro, rice, and beans. Pure comfort. I forgot to picture this so I took a picture from yelp which is definitely a smaller portion than I got.

Was happy to see this place packed. This was the 10th or so time I’ve been, and there have been police eating there every time. This is a cop hangout, so for those of you queasy about venturing to this area, know that you’ll be kept relatively safe!

5 Likes

I’ve got to get over there. The corn tortillas are supposed to be really good too.

You’re hilarious. Looks great.

1 Like