August 2017 Weekend Rundown

inquiring minds would like to know where that calamari came from.

2 Likes

Chicken Fried Steak, I presume? How was the gravy?

How do I eat this? I had it several wks (mos?) ago, and I was confused by the concentrated lamb-y liquid that came w/ the whole thing. Do I pour that over the meat? Do I dip the pita in it? Do I drink it like soup?

1 Like

Yes and it is pretty good too.

uhhhh, yes please…

Jean Georges at the Waldorf. Part of a mid afternoon snack with their passion fruit chili sour.

2 Likes

The soup and the mashed lamb mixture and are served separately but eaten together with the sabzi (that mix of herbs and other stuff).

I try to get the sangak at Naan Hut and make “Persian lamb dip.” I tear off a piece of sangak, pinch the mashed lamb, squirt of lime, add some of the sabzi, dip that whole thing in the soup and eat. I also like to add a dab of yogurt.

2 Likes

ink.well

Loved the beef tartare and egg yolk gnocchi

Hokkaido scallops, buttered turnips, toasted milk, grapefruit, sea bean powder

beef tartare, crispy sweet potato, banh mi flavors

egg yolk gnocchi, zucchini, basil, tiny croutons
20170818_183947

20170818_183955

warm Dungeness crab, nori rigatoni, potato, bottarga, espelette

calamari, masa-potato crust, curry emulsion, coriander
once you go black, you get an ink stained mouth

big eye tuna, poke dressing, shiso, fermented onion rings, burnt coconut oil

apple, creme caramel, shortbread, burnt wood semifreddo

9 Likes

Nice report @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile: How did you like it compared to original ink?

1 Like

Of course you did. There were tiny croutons. :slight_smile:

IMG_5425

1 Like

I mean this quite sincerely @Chowseeker1999 - why do you care, at all, about that?
Maybe he/she likes it better than .ink - OMG !!!
Maybe he/she thinks it is not as good as .ink - OMG2 !!!
Either way, how does it matter - TO YOU?

I write this, not to be a dick, but with the greatest admiration and respect for your incomparable contributions to this board (and to my own eating in this city, to which you have been a great, great GIFT).
With all that said, I cannot (at all) fathom the interest you may have in the answer to that query.
Please help me understand, but it just seems so irrelevant.

You will - or you won’t - try it and give a great report based on everything it is now, but not based on what some other poster thinks about in comparison to anything else.

I do not work or care about ink.well - I am just a perplexed FTC-er and an admirer-er of your posts - if not of this question.

Common reference points and comparisons are highly relevant to reviews of almost anything. Maybe the new restaurant was more / less enjoyable because the cooking / flavors / atmosphere / QPR / was better / worse and @Chowseeker1999 would get some useful information from such an assessment. This is a discussion board after all.

Ultimately everyone’s own assessment is what matters most because they are the ones having to eat and pay for the food. But I doubt that @Chowseeker1999 is so conceited as to not take any interest in the reactions of others to their dining experiences. If that was the case, this site would have limited utility.

5 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

You’re right if I was just asking a random stranger that question, it might not be as useful, but I trust and value @PorkyBelly’s tastes and opinions, and they seem generally similar to my own much of the time. But even if it was a total random stranger, for myself, I think it’s useful as a starting point before I head out there. @DTLAeater alluded to some of that.

Knowing how New Ink’s atmosphere, noise factor, service, execution of dishes compared to Chef Michael Voltaggio’s old Ink is something that could be useful (or not). I was generally curious: Is New Ink louder? How’s the space / feels more comfortable? Is Chef Voltaggio’s cooking improving with the new menu? Or is it boring / too experimental compared to Old Ink?

When Pasta Sisters moves to the Westside this Autumn, and one of our FTC’ers goes for an early visit, I’d want to know if the new Pasta Sisters kitchen & space is better than their original location. Are they overcooking pastas? How are the sauces compared to the original? Can you finally get a table and relax instead of waiting for a tiny little 2-top (or cramped window “seat”)? :sweat_smile:

Thanks!

3 Likes

All true - fair enough - sorry, I’m sure you realize no offense was meant. I guess, had you asked some of those specific questions, I would probably not have batted an eyelash.
It was the general question that made it seem kind of silly (to me).

1 Like

Thanks @Chowseeker1999. I haven’t been to the original ink for years, from what i can remember it was small, dark and loud, the new ink is more open, brighter and feels less clubby and service was friendly.

Menu-wise it’s still very similar to ink, but I think they’re still working out the kinks on some of the dishes. I really liked the dungeness crab and nori rigatoni but the sauce on top was too much and over salted, same thing with the tuna and the calamari was just ok.

2 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

No worries. :slight_smile: Yah I was actually going to ask in more detail, but was called away and in a hurry so I just typed out the quick question before I had to leave. :sweat_smile:

Peking duck, Moon House, Westwood

So glad to have this place on the Westside. This is one of the few situations where I actually want to eat food with my hands, and gnaw bones.

6 Likes

How crispy is the skin???

And…did you?

1 Like

Very crispy, with that thin layer of fat that makes it awesome. It is probably the best duck you can get this side of town. And their congee is good.

1 Like