August 2020 Rundown

Another great August report! The Toto mask is cherry on the icing!

2 Likes

I’m very thankful they’re good sports about it :slight_smile: we’ve definitely had some great meals over the years.

1 Like

You’re f-ing hilarious. Having a tough day and this thread is making it much better.

3 Likes

You banged it just right @A5KOBE. My hubby loooves PHILLIPS… and that sauce is :kissing_closed_eyes:. Glad to see you enjoyed the food in our lil’ hood! Come again anytime. :wink:

1 Like

What? He expresses his total joy and What?!

1 Like

Gaah! :drooling_face: Sounds delicious!

Through the magic of take-out, Colapasta was able to takes us on a quick jaunt through Italy, without the quarantine (the etymology of the word ‘quarantine’ is from Renaissance Italian)…

The Casunziei is always delightful. And the Gnocchi di Ricotta (my first time ordering this dish) was a huge, delicious surprise…

Support Colapasta!

17 Likes

Habayit Restaurant (West LA): A cute little storefront on Pico with a friendly proprietor, and a super tasty lunch grilled kebab combo! Gotta remind myself to come back for more… #supportrestaurants

13 Likes

Had them last wk, and it was terrific. I agree w/ the support x 1000!

3 Likes

We absolutely love colapasta take home fresh pastas such as the bucatini—such a great deal too, like $2 a lb? . usually cook one fresh and then save a stash of or two In the freezer

Bestia Uni pasta recipe using colapasta bucatini.

14 Likes

Fresh pasta can be frozen? :exploding_head:

yum

Toshi-San’s Soboro. Hits the spot every. Damn. Time!

12 Likes

We do it all the time! just freeze in airtight portions, use within 1-2 months, drop straight into boiling water. in fact, i think that uni bucatini was from frozen. we don’t notice any significant drop in quality.

5 Likes

I’ll be back sooner rather than later. I am kicking myself for taking such a long hiatus from Phillips. Your hood has numerous bang bang options within a 5 minute drive.

1 Like

Where is this?

Yakitoriya

1 Like

Thinking about gjelina there shouldn’t be much of a drop in quality. I dont think Sergio there was Travis, o barely saw him there. OTOH i don’t know how many of his top chef talent also left? Or maybe thw corporate restructuring after TL left had changes they wanted to implement

Dulan’s on Crenshaw

Order was supposed to be ready at 2:30, The “Kid” waited at the pickup window until 3:00pm.

FRIED CHICKEN

The “Kid” got this with a double order of collards. He ate the dark, had no desire to eat more than a bite of the white meat.

I’ll say this, no one can drive and eat a fried chicken breast like gr8pimpin. I’m like Viggo eating chicken in “The Green Book.”

Chicken was Juicy, very juicy, nicely cooked. I personally like this kind of coating, not too thick. But it was completely one note. Tasted like a little garlic powder and salt. Is that two-note?

FRIED CATFISH

Nice. Typical of what I had living in the south. Corn meal coating, not super thick. Not seasoned much so you can taste the fish.

Three nice pieces. I would say you could get this at any number of places around town. Orleans & York, Mel’s, even Boiling Crab. So, good but not craveworthy, Or really destination worthy.

Corn bread was Jiffy made according to directions. Pass.

MAC & CHEESE
yeah. Just ok. I could taste Franks Red Hot in there. Not very cheesy. Not worth the carbs.

COLLARD GREENS
Collards were like we had in the south. Even had some bones from the meat. Smokey, tad of heat, not mushy, super flavorful… Then the cook must’ve knocked over a 5 pound tub of salt into the pot making them completely inedible. Even the “Kid” said he would need a cardiologist if he kept eating them.

All in all, other than the fun I had driving around town with one hand on the steering wheel, the other clutching a fried chicken breast, this was a place I can take of my list. The “Kid” seemed amazed I could drive without speeding because of the added water weight of the newly formed cankles I had from all the salt in the greens.

Sad.

12 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Sounds like you had a similar experience as we did. :frowning: We were excited to try it back then and got similar results as well. Massive salt in too many of the sides; passable Fried Chicken.

I forgot, have you tried Howlin’ Ray’s bone-in Fried Chicken, pre-pandemic? That’s the gold standard. :slight_smile:

1 Like