August 2020 Rundown

Do you have any specific recommendations? If there’s anything hard to get or special would love to try (range would be under 150ish per bottle).

I don’t know their prices, but if you drop in and can take a look (this is based on what looks interesting to me from instagram geotagged pictures)

if they have the Junmai Ginjo version that might be a bit easier to drink World Sake Imports

Born Muroka Nama Genshu Junmai Daiginjo Born Muroka Nama Genshu — MTC Sake - Japanese Beverage Distributor (refrigerate immediately), serve chilled (bottle on ice).

If you plan on having quite a bit of shellfish, Taka Tokubetsu Junmai “Noble Arrow” (great with shrimp and scallops, or a combo of those in a pasta). I quite enjoyed it with lobster and raw oysters too.

Kid Junmai and Kid Junmai Daiginjo

http://www.sakesuki-llc.com/our-sake-portfolio-list (scroll down until you see the two Kid bottles)

I personally prefer the Junmai more, although if you like lighter fruitier sake, Junmai Daiginjo is good. Nice value modern style sake.

3 Likes

You totally had me at saltines. Those are some good looking crackers!!

Seriously though, those tacos look incredible!

1 Like

a dish best served with a tare glaze and a side of togarashi

2 Likes

I know @Gr8pimpin. :relaxed: I‘m good with tortillas for Ceviche and everything else, but with Aguachile it’s Saltines for me.

1 Like

Thank you for the notes I will venture out and report back!

1 Like

Cool, have fun! And if possible please share a few photos of the inside of the store!

This is supposedly what they carry that is via World Sake distributor

http://www.worldsake.com/Retails.asp?RegionID=5&RetailID=38

In addition I’d also recommend Nishida Denshu, Dewazakura Dewasansan Green Ridge, Kokuryu Tokusen Ginjo (for sashimi pairing), Dewazakura Daiginjo, Dewazakura Ichiro. If you feeling like splurging and if it costs below $150, Dewazakura Yukimanman Daiginjo. These bottles you can look up their tasting notes and see what suits you.

1 Like

Great will do!

Orleans & York and Crack Sauce Emporium

Major price increases. The shrimp basket is up to $20. $5.75 for a bag of chips.

Shrimp Basket
I do like their shrimp.

Catfish Basket
Nice thick pieces.

Gumbo Mumbo Po Boy

11 Likes

I noticed price increases at the Downtown LA location, too. The po’boys are a couple of dollars more than before. Can’t blame them. I don’t mind paying a bit extra to help them stay in business. However, I was startled/outraged by the prices listed on the online ordering menu. Those prices were $5 or more than what was listed if you ordered at the counter. For example, I paid $12-ish (can’t remember exactly) for an oyster po’boy when I ordered at the actual counter, but the online menu lists the same sandwich as $17.50! That’s a big difference! I understand the convenience of being able to order online, but that convenience doesn’t justify a 40% markup. I wonder if this is the restaurant’s doing or someone else? The online ordering link is found on their website.

2 Likes

Well that likely explains it!!

we used ChowNow so I expected the prices to be the same as inside since they charge restaurants a flat fee as opposed to Postmates which charges commission. And the “kid” is the one that went in to pick up the food so he wouldn’t have noticed the prices.

This is a good catch!!

thank you

1 Like

I know for Postmates, they charge restaurants a certain percentage for delivery in addition to their delivery charge. In turn, Postmates gives restaurants the option of upping their menu prices respectively to partially or completely offset those charges. Ergo, you see those inflated prices.

1 Like

The next predicament, once goodwill runs out and consumers and proprietors will have to contend with the economic realities of operating a restaurant in the midst of Covid :sleepy:

1 Like

That’s dedication to the shot, risking drippage to car interior.

2 Likes

LOL!

The “kid” who ate it made a tarp of Target shopping bags. Spread said tarp across his lap.

Besides, it was wifey’s car :shushing_face:

2 Likes

At least they’re Zapp’s!

3 Likes

August 4th: National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day…

This year, I chose to spend it with @SweetsByJennyLee, and I did not regret it one bit.

9 Likes

Smart

Next level smart

2 Likes

Chef Johnny Lee’s Sorrowful Rice ( 黯然銷魂飯 ) was one of the tastiest things I’ve ever had from Pearl River Deli. The choice loin cut for the char siu was a perfect balance of lean and fat. A cup of Chef Johnny’s traditional HK-style herbal tea undoubtedly helped balance out the “yeet hay” on this summer afternoon! #YinYangRestoration #JustTheRightYeetHayWithChrisHei

In true fanboy fashion, I even brought my own folding chair to Pearl River Deli to commemorate the occasion… #BYOFC #PRDcosplay #AmongTheTop7Weapons #EvenThePoliceCannotArrestYou The HK milk tea was spot on in execution.

The char siu juice in the rice tasted ridiculous! Sooo much goodness, it brought a tear to my eye.

Macau Pork Chop Bun: Tried and true winner. Today was no different. Boss.

Kunming Cold Noodle: A very apropos summer offering from the kitchen. #YunnanStyle

Soy Chicken Leg: As take-out, when added to a simple bowl of steamed rice and pretty much any vegetable, I find this chicken to be a worthy centerpiece for a quick and tasty meal.

Yunnan Fried Rice: Delicious! The recent FTC deliberations on the nuances of something so “simple” as fried rice really helped me appreciate the wonderful multitudes of flavor here. Though not 宣威火腿 or Xuanwei ham (Broadbent aged ham was employed in this dish), the complexity of today’s rice was readily apparent. Loved the addition of the potatoes. Do not miss this fried rice.

Chari Siu Chow Fun: The char siu really kicked butt in this dish. #EnjoyingWokHayWithChrisHei

Team PRD is on fire.

27 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Your own folding chair! :smile: Nice. Great pics and write-up as usual. :slight_smile:

1 Like