August 2020 Rundown

That croissant looks gorgeous. Is it crispy, buttery, and flaky? Now I gotta wait a week till I can order!

Yes, yes, and yes. So much so that you get flakes everywhere. We had to sweep up afterwards.

1 Like

A few sake purchases from Southern California mail order. A friend had asked whether these were quarantined for 14 days :sweat_smile:

Revisiting the kaisen futomaki by Sushi Yoshizumi. Super rich and explosive with all of his greatest hits and more in one bite. This is the Sorrowful a Futomaki!!

And the latest kaisen chirashi got an upgrade!

Ikejime madai
Chutoro
Akami
Zuwai gani
Botan ebi konbu jime
Kurumaebi
Salmon (Local, aged one week in freezing temperatures, shoyu zuke)
Ikura
Aji (super intense)
Kohada
No Hotate
Kamasu
Uni
Ni Tako
Anago
Saba
Kanpachi
Dashi tamagoyaki

Chubby pho from Gao Viet Kitchen

24-hour beef bone marrow broth, filet mignon, tendon, caramelized onion, ginger, top off with few pieces of marrow, a load of spring onion / rice noodle. Added on roast brisket, thick slices. Heavy duty pho like Biggie Smalls. Decadent AF but can’t have too often

17 Likes

Holbox
Sonoratown (Chivichanagas for lunch this week)
Superfine
Salt n Straw (Arts District still serving scoops but no sugar cones)

Holbox was amazing. Super fresh beautiful seafood. Loved all of the salsas. Smokey, flavorful and well balanced. Not just spicy. Great tostada shell. Even the chips were great (do they make them in house?)

Chef showed us the clams and oysters delivered from Baja in oxygenated water.

San Lorenzo oysters. Big meaty fresh suckers. Nice brinyness yet still sweet. We generally like smaller oysters northern cold water west coast varieties like Kushi and Kumamoto but these oysters were revelatory.

No words can do justice to this lovely hamachi and uni tostada.

Pulpo taco with the vibrant sofrito. My son ate most of it. Said it was the best taco he has ever eaten.

Superfine pepperoni pizza. Was it a tiny bit doughy in some places? Did we have a little soupy center? When we asked for parm did the kid behind the counter give us a half pound of grated parm? Were the grease chalices as good as ever? Did it look like he cut the pizza blind folded?

We still love Superfine. The freshness of the sauce, flavor of the dough and pepperoni are still better than what you’d get almost anywhere else in LA. It’s not as good as Pizza Wagon but we’d certainly come back. It’s better than Little Coyote.

16 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

Thanks for the report back. We love the Pulpo (Octopus) Taco as well. :slight_smile:

For Superfine were you saying that it did have a soupy center? Because that’s one of the biggest changes since their OG Pizzaiolos left. Thanks.

@Chowseeker1999 the middle was a tiny bit soupy. Not as bad as others have mentioned. When I picked up the slice to fold in half there was a little flop. This wasn’t the best pizza we’ve had at Superfine but still 90-95% as good as previous visits. We would return without hesitation. Hopefully chef keeps training up the new pizza makers.

1 Like

Weekend adventures…

LASA -
The lechon kawali is a superb dish. Super crispy and I loved the sauces and greens and pickled onions. Lots of flavors and textural contrasts. I didn’t love the bistrek as much, but the meat was very tender. The Valencia brothers were very sweet. I was a little late in picking up my order and they called to remind me…I was delayed via Hayato bento and a pick-up at PRD.

Amboy -
I keep on forgetting that Amboy is in Far East Plaza. But I wanted to make sure I tried today. The original and DH to go…and a couple of steaks for me to cook tonight. I original is delicious! The crust Chef Alvin Cailan achieves is just lovely. The husband loved the DH, but it may have suffered a bit during my drive home…more cars on the freeways now, so it takes me 30 minutes instead of 20 to get home. And @PorkyBelly is so right about their fries…the texture and taste is perfect…it reminded me of McDonald’s fries when they still used beef tallow.
Can I also say how delightful Chef is? He seems so happy to be back in LA. He recommended the Denver cut and the pichana to take home. That’s going to get cooked tonight on the grill.

All Day Baby -
I adore this place…and really for their baked goods and cocktails. I took home an order of biscuits to be used for breakfast tomorrow. I also go their key lime pie and strawberries and cream pie. The key lime had a great crust, but wasn’t as punchy in lime that I’m usually looking for in a key lime. The strawberries and cream pie must be based or inspired by the Marie Callendar’s summer offering…that’s what it reminded me of as I took a bite. Except this one is exceptionally better…ripe and sweet strawberries and a touch of their strawberry jam sit in their delightful and flaky crust. Then there are darling little roses of fresh whipped cream spiked with vanilla bean flecks. The Jack-sparilla cocktail was basically a Jack & Coke float with vanilla ice cream and lime zest…super refreshing and yummy.

Little Coyote (Long Beach) -
Was in the neighborhood and decided to drop by. Got a pepperoni, a mushroom & sausage, the meatball sub, and the Italian sandwich. I love the crisp crust…the mushrooms here seem meatier than mushrooms at any other pizza place. The pizza flops a little and is a bit soupy, but otherwise it was a good pizza. The pepperoni is not as good as Superfine.
I really enjoyed the Italian sandwich. Lots of flavors going on, and I really liked the bread. The meatball is currently being eaten by the littlest chowpup and he seems to enjoy it. Claro’s has his favorite meatball sub currently.
Sergio and Sergio were both spotted in the house today. I ordered online and pick up was easy…they look a bit longer than the time quoted, but it was worth my while. Thanks, @Chowseeker1999 for bringing this one up…it was a good experience.

20 Likes

i had to look this up, looks great, thanks for the heads up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_PZWRjR62/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDra7Flj_aG/

8 Likes

Oui Bakery had a weekend Côte de Boeuf special which included two sides, focaccia, and hand pies for $75. With a hint of smoke, very beefy, delicious. Great value.

13 Likes

That croissant looks amazing!

1 Like

Run, don’t walk (to ADB)!

The strawberries, Mexican vanilla whipped cream, and pie crust are so delicious together! The crust is sturdy enough to maintain its texture over time as it holds the strawberry filling yet remains wonderfully flaky, as can be seen here microscopically (or close enough to micro :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

17 Likes

All Day Baby peach crumble pie and Antico Summer Harvest peach ice cream

Following grilled steaks from Amboy. Damn, those Denvers and Pichana were magnificent.

18 Likes

2+2=7

2 Likes

I’m no longer a Langer’s virgin!!

AMAZING!! I’m a believer.

Posted about it here in the Johnny’s vs Langer’s thread

20 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it! I haven’t been in so long I really miss it.

1 Like

Burmese Please

Chef Jessie used to pop-up at Smorgasburg on Sundays and Chinatown After Dark where she prepared Burmese dishes such as mohinga, various curries, and plenty of paratha. Since the shutdown however, she’s been doing once a month pop-ups out of the Arts District serving up curry kits and my all time favorite tea leaf salad. I’m originally from San Francisco, and since Daw Yee closed, my partner and I take every opportunity we get to order from Chef Jessie.

Tonight, we ordered the chicken curry, which came chilled and with an assortment of fixings, along with the tea leaf salad. Chef’s fermented tea leaf dressing has a nice funk to it, and when mixed with all the other ingredients the salad becomes a salty, crunchy party. The curry comes with a lightly sweet coconut rice and alongside the paratha, it makes the perfect mix of carbs that soaks up the rich curry.

It’s all packed up in to go containers, but here’s a shot of the tea leaf salad from Smorgasburg last year:

Follow on Instagram for future pop-ups:
Burmese Please

15 Likes

Some recent Orsa & Winston and Bar Amá pickups

Cavatelli with Beef Cheek Sugo

Matcha Rice Pudding with Miso Caramel

Carne Guisada Chalupa

11 Likes

I’m sure it was tasty, but the pasta color + the ridge make it look… not like pasta at first glance. :wink:

7 Likes

Yum!

7 Likes

Yup, pretty much. :wink:

3 Likes