Balconi Coffee (Sawtelle Japantown) Announces Closure

I am devastated. I will miss your coffee, Sato-san.

9 Likes

Damn you covid! They made great coffee

We still have 14 days to enjoy it.
#holdingbacktearsatmykeyboard

sucks one of my fav shops, love siphon prep

Oh man! I wish them the absolute best, and hope they can reopen somewhere. I loved their almond latte, and it’s the only flavored coffee drink I order regularly.

I’m drinking their coffee as a read this :frowning: that’s a real bummer. I’ve been a fan of his coffee since the old barrington location. I was talking to him the other day and that shop is just not designed to be social distancing friendly, they’ve been doing what they can with take out and selling their beans.

Thanks for the heads up @J_L I’ll be by at least a couple times before they close.

5 Likes

I am so sad.

Their siphon coffee is such a treat, and they’re one of the very few who do it in LA. You may find Ray behind the bar, stoically slinging drinks… but get him started, and you’ll find he is so incredibly passionate and knowledgeable about his craft.

No doubts that he’ll come back better than ever, and for now, I’m really glad we get two more weeks.

Thanks @J_L.

4 Likes

Aaaaaannnd they’re back! At least temporarily in a pop up.

@J_L

Ps… Any Intel on Hermanito bar?

6 Likes

Yup, thanks. I got that same email from Ray.

1 Like

Really nice set up. I got an Ethiopian Siphon brewed. Love the patio. Coffee was great with peach notes

4 Likes

Agree. Nice to see them again on Sawtelle.

That’s great. Happy for them. I would love to enjoy a nice cuppa on a nice, COVID-safe patio.
But, Sawtelle is quite far from me…

Last week for the Parts and Labor Coffee pop-up at Bar Hermanito…

1 Like

:sleepy: it was a good location for him, i hope he finds a new permanent location

1 Like

Ray is looking for a brick-and-mortar in West L.A. Stay tuned…

1 Like

Looking forward to cows milk and siphon brews again… He does pull one of the better shots of espresso in though - even if I do have to have pay milk in my cortado

Hear hear… I miss the Ehrlenmeyer flasks, Bunsen burners and contraptions. Brings me back to my Organic Chem lab days.

1 Like

Good thing they do not use volumetric pipettes. If they are anything like me, it would take a dozen attempts to get that meniscus on the line…

1 Like

I miss my Rainin pipettors… #OneMicroliterAtATime

No one here old enough to remember mouth pipetting?