Banned from Chowhound?

Invite her to ftc!

I always wondered why she was such an apologist for CBS. Did she move from the SFBA to LA?

I wondered about that myself – how could any right-minded person side with CBS in this whole mess, in view of the way they treated their contributors?

Seems to me that most of her posts have been focused on the Bay Area, but she also posts about SoCal and points in between. She seemed to be making 20+% of the posts on CH over the past year. I have no idea what she does for a living but she sure has lots of time for things food. She’d fit FTC perfectly but it looks like the migration is headed mostly to HO. I’m on both but think people are looking more for existing coverage rather than pioneering for their own geographic interests.

I think she sells high-end medical imaging systems.

my understanding is that she lived in LA for a few years. i couldn’t help but wonder if she got compensated in some way for her contributions to the board myself.

as for CBS, i wonder if “prince george” or whatever his name was still has a job at CBS.

I presume that the people who were working at CNET when it was sold are either working at Red Ventures or have been laid off.

Not for some time. According to Linkedin, from CBS," VIP Georges" (Georges Haddad) went straight to Walmart, and is now at Facebook. Sounds about right. If you want a laugh, take a look at his Linkedin page, under his bulleted “accomplishments” at CBS Interactive.

VP Product and General ManagerVP Product and General Manager
CBS InteractiveCBS Interactive
Mar 2014 - Nov 2016 · 2 yrs 9 mosMar 2014 - Nov 2016 · 2 yrs 9 mos
San Francisco Bay AreaSan Francisco Bay Area

1. Redefined Chowhound’s mission and developed a new vision with a focus on growing the food lover community platform
  2. Led the team through the redesign & relaunch of Chowhound.com
  3. Managed all aspects of P&L, business and product strategy and day-to-day operations – business beat budget forecast by $1M in 2016
  4. Restructured the team and made key hires to execute on this vision. Managed a team of 14 direct reports and 8 central team members (dotted line of reporting)
  5. Increased Desktop traffic by 30% YoY and Mobile traffic by 70% (ComScore, Unique Users)
  6. Ramped up content production 5x, while decreasing cost per story and increasing traffic to editorial content by 130% YoY

Same here. No real evidence, but the sheer volume of her contributions seemed like a very significant time investment for someone uncompensated and with what seemed like a full-time job (or at least traveling a whole lot). It doesn’t really matter, I don’t think, but she’s been ‘supporting’ the CA boards almost single-handedly lately.

1 Like

She was at one point studying for the Master of Wine exam, which is almost a full-time job itself.

NY Times article about Chowhound shutting down.

3 Likes

ho’s response:

Get into the comment section and make some noise!

That’s me. HO asked for help recruiting new members - my suggestion was to do some outreach via the comment section. I see FTCers there as well.

1 Like

I don’t think its weird that HO at all is trying in pull new users if they still want to be around in a few years.

The nature of these types of forum discussion sites is that they need constant stream of new blood and users as older users tend to drop out over time.

I used to contribute to a non-food forum, and I used to warn them that they were too unwelcoming to new users. That forum thought they had this healthy amount of users so that they didn’t new users, but when people left cause their lives got busier, interests shifted, etc… there was nobody new to replace them and then that forum eventually shut down.

And, that non-food forum died before social media took off. Now, with the rise of social media, its so much harder for forums like HO to survive.

6 Likes

Social media apps aren’t good for discussions. Some don’t support them at all, others, like Facebook, do so really badly.

This site has had enough new users to replace those who have left. Various reports that indicate site health have all been steady. Ad revenues have gone up.

5 Likes

I wonder if it’s actually possible to create an archive copy using a site crawler? They have that weird thing where you see only the beginning or end of a long topic and getting the whole thing loaded is sometimes a challenge. That may explain why Google was unable to find some posts.

Just noticed this thread. Have had and have no time to peruse it . But am reminded of a comment by the great Plotz who said that anyone who (at that time) hadn’t been kicked off eG was a nonentity. That’s me. Never been enough of an “entity” to even been kicked off the bus.

3 Likes

Would you like me to suspend you?

3 Likes

There were about 10 or 12 of us who definitely had an off-site clique. “Gio” was the only one IIRC who didn’t get at least suspended or banned (and usually reinstated). It’s where I (kinda/sorta) learned the expression “avert your eyes.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes