Bara-Chirashi Platinum at Sushi Tsujita (Lunch): A Pictorial Essay

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Good eye! :slight_smile: Yah, we both only got 2 pieces. And you got 1 and 3 pieces on your various visits. Hm…

Well, that’s an average of two…

1 Like

Anyone notice a decline in quality of the lunch options. My kaisendon platinum bowl yesterday was a bit lackluster. Shriveled up shiso leaf, dried out rice. Forgot to place wasabi in the bowl, had to request from waitress…

Two weeks ago it was perfect.

A lovely lunch. Thank you, everyone!

]( Lunch Specials - What's for Lunch?:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I accidentally clicked on @J_L’s Tsujita Chirashi thread when I was searching for something else, and suddenly I had a craving again. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Blue Crab Handroll:

I still remember their disappointing King Crab Handroll from a previous visit, so this time I was hoping a simpler Blue Crab Handroll might be safer.

Sadly it was not. :frowning: We’ve enjoyed Sushi Tsujita’s actual Sushi and various Lunch offerings, but their Handrolls seem to be lacking. The Nori (Seaweed) wrapper was soft and limp. The Blue Crab lacked the brightness of the best versions around town.

Akami (Bluefin Tuna, Lean Portion):

Excellent. Bright, meaty yet tender.

Complimentary Soup:

Delicate Dashi. Fragrant, perfect for warming you up from a chilly morning.

Kaisendon Platinum (Tuna, Salmon, Whitefish, Eel, Scallop, Toro and Uni):

Just delicious! :slight_smile: My favorite today was probably the Ohtoro (Fattiest Tuna Belly) and the Ikura (Salmon Roe) was particularly popping and snappy and bright. And the excellent Rice. :slight_smile:

Another visit:

Complimentary Soup:

Bara Chirashi Platinum (Tuna, White Fish, Toro, Ikura, Tobiko, Silver Fish, Eel, Clam, Octopus, Shrimp, Uni, Abalone):

The most extravagant of the Chirashi offerings at Sushi Tsujita, it was pretty well done today. My favorites were the super bright Hotategai (Scallops), Tai (Japanese Sea Bream) and the mixing of the Ikura and Tobiko Fish Eggs with the Rice. :blush:

I waffle on the tastes here. Maybe it’s because I haven’t had the Chirashi in over a year, but on this visit, it was delicious and hit the spot, even if it’s a little too generous at times. :wink:

I loved the Kaisendon Platinum (Sashimi Bowl version) which as @PorkyBelly has pointed out, is $10 cheaper and feels more focused / less “wild” (with so many generous toppings in the Platinum Chirashi). But I’d be fine eating either. :wink: And for saving some money, the Bara-Chirashi Premium will do just fine as well ($15 cheaper).

Sushi Tsujita
2006 Sawtelle Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Tel: (310) 231-1177

6 Likes

Are they busy during lunch on weekends? Do I need to make a reservation?

Hi @moonboy403,

They don’t take reservations unless it’s for their Omakase. The last time during a Saturday lunch? It was definitely full capacity by 12 Noon. Maybe a couple groups waiting.

1 Like

I haven’t this in awhile, thanks for the reminder!

About a five minute wait 3-4 weeks ago on Sunday around noon.

1 Like

Go when they open, never had to wait. Also, free parking in the back.

4 Likes

When are you going? :wink:

I’ve gone there many times and never had to wait. If you are showing up late (say 1:30 or later), I would call them beforehand. I’ve seen them turn away guests saying they’re closed or not taking any more lunch customers. Also, if you want the $18 bara-chirashi, they have a limited number of those, so you’d want to arrive before noon.

2 Likes

You can even be a little early and sit in the patio. They will bring you water while you wait. Such a very hospitable restaurant.

when will people stop eating bluefin tuna? or at least maybe feel a bit embarrassed about telling everyone they eat it?

1 Like

When supplies are so low that the laws of supply/demand deem bluefin tuna no longer affordable.

Not for a while, 'cuz they can be farmed now.

3 Likes

I believe Spain and Tokyo are two of the nations that do it.

1 Like

Aren’t there bluefin pens off the coast on Cape Cod also?

They’re starting to sustainably farm for Caspian sturgeon/caviar in Iran also…