Bazaar Meat

One of a kind in LA for sure especially after Ink closed.

1 Like

Any word on what he’s up to? Would love to eat his food again

I get the feeling he is doing private events and maybe preparing to open up a restaurant just by looking at his insta. Can’t imagine what it would take to book him for a small dinner party though

1 Like

That was one of the early food bummers of covid for me, I had paid for 3 reservations for somni and had to get refunded from my cc company after all communication ceased and also had a 350 dollar gift certificate to auburn :frowning:

5 Likes

private dinners and r&d

Seriously? I can’t imagine the hotel and the restaurant group being that unprofessional to just ghost you like that. That would turn me off any of their future restaurants completely.

But Somni is a huge loss for fine dining in LA.

1 Like

Well that is exactly what happened. Emailed them got a response to move date when they reopened, obviously months pass due to pandemic, email them for a refund nothing occurs try calling and emailing again and finally give up and go to cc company

5 Likes

I had to file a complaint with my credit card bank to get a refund for tickets to a concert that was cancelled due to lockdown.

1 Like

Does “bazaar meat” bring up an image of a third-world market with a shelf of room-temperature hunks of flesh with flies buzzing around? or is that just me?

6 Likes

Maybe “Bizarre Meat”?

3 Likes

reminds me of a new andrew zimmern show.

Substitute fish for meat, throw in some smog and that’s pretty much the concerns @Chowseeker1999 had regarding Shunji’s outdoor setup

1 Like

Given the menu at the original Las Vegas branch, it’s at close to the opposite end of the dining spectrum from a third-world market.

No, I was just seeing more an outdoor market in a semi-arid or arid climate, no flies.

I was also thinking of Schwartz’s in Montreal.

1 Like

Looks like next year…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzXPFmARK13/?igshid=MTMzbDE0NGFkbHJ2MA==

3 Likes

Funny timing. I ate at Bazaar Meat in Vegas a week ago and asked my server about the LA location and she told me 2024. I quite enjoyed my meal, although I thought the steak I ordered was the weakest part. Maybe the other large format meats (whole pig?) are better.

I wasn’t a foodie when the original Bazaar first opened in LA, but my perception at the time was that it was the coolest most adventurous restaurant in the city. Was it viewed that way by foodies and critics, or was I just oblivious back then?

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but it was probably one of the only ones doing molecular gastronomy in LA before Ink eventually opened up.

2 Likes

I was not a foodie back then either - the original Bazaar at the SLS hotel was a revelation for me, one of the places that liberated my inner gourmand.

2 Likes

yes - so cool that they had two restaurants in one - the molecular side with one menu and the classics side with another menu - though you could order from either menu on either side.
Also we had xero higher end Spanish cooking prior to Bazaar at the SLS.

1 Like