Bé Ù Silverlake- Vietnamese street and home style comfort food

Hit them up for lunch today— finally got some noodles in addition to what has become my reg order of a pork bahn mi. The noodles were nice/refreshing on a warm summer afternoon. I would say that the pork was more flavorful today— more smoke/char which pumped up the flavor of the marinade. They were consistently busy which is nice to see! I didn’t get any rolls this time to check on the new wraps, but next time for sure.

4 Likes

Ok, report back next time you get the rolls!!

1 Like

will do!
although, I will agree w/ @PorkyBelly about “where’s the pate?”. I really like pate and the extra complexity it provides as far as texture and flavor, but I’m ok w/ more lemongrass, pork and char.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s because the location/expection of clientele but yeah the vegan pate isn’t quite the same… even banh mi Thao the pop up in highland park has walnut pate too.

1 Like

How are the vegan/vegetarian pâtés?
I am skeptical about this as pâté is an important component for my banh mi…is just as important and the bread, mayo & pickled vegetables. Growing up, sometimes I was just happy with a pâté banh mi with the accoutrements.

1 Like

Really wanted to like this more - baguette was on point, pork was solid, but the do chua was a mess - way too tiny, strange shredded consistency on the daikon which created an instant mush vibe. Give me textural context on pickled things!

Cafe Sua Da was solid though.

1 Like

personally we prefer larger cuts of carrot/daikon for banh mi --for that crunch and contrast you mention and finer shredded for adding to fish sauce or in rolls (never w/ food processor though as that can mangle even the most perfect daikon)

also if the daikon isn’t fresh or good quality it can get mushy easily.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense - what they’re doing isn’t really suited for banh mi. I unwrapped it maybe a minute after pickup and it was already soggy on the bottom of the baguette.

If you have their ear and trust that we’re not a bunch of Yelpers, let them know! Really want them to last and succeed, they’re lovely people and the food is like 75% there.

1 Like

Impressed they’re serving this in Silverlake.

7 Likes

New dish alert— banh trang tron. The infamous Vietnamese pizza with rice paper

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChNLnMuL1cw/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

8 Likes

Never seen this dish in America that’s awesome!

1 Like

They have it at the Little Saigon Night Market

1 Like

Is that a seasonal thing? Is it worth going to or is it like 626 night market?

Summers only. I think last one was in September. Yes def worth a visit. Not quite like 626 because the food vendors aren’t into the IG style foods but actual viet street foods.

3 Likes

Ohhhh I’ll have to check it out next year sounds awesome!

You say this dish, but not what? and no pic?

This @hal

Pizza is a meh translation. “Trộn” means “mixed”.

Mixed rice paper is a dish originating from Tay Ninh, Vietnam. Currently, mixed rice paper is peddled and has become a popular snack of Vietnamese students.

Mixed rice paper has the main ingredient of sliced ​​rice paper, mixed with fried dry shrimp with fat, the remaining ingredients vary according to the seller, the common ingredients are burnt beef lungs, laksa leaves, sour papaya, sauce soy sauce, peanuts… This dish in Saigon (Vietnam) is sold in small plastic bags at a cheap price.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10106020366733603&id=210673&set=a.10106020366688693

oops my mistake, it should have been banh trang nuong… i agree i don’t like the pizza term for it but that’s what everyone else uses and knows it by.

1 Like

Paging @JeetKuneBao

4 Likes