Belcampo mislabeled meat scandal

He said nothing about shipping without relabeling.

He thought it was suspicious that his Belcampo orders were shipped by West Coast Prime.

Yesterday i forwarded the stories to koslow mold fame and food antagonist/instigator, @joe_rosanthal who is on the case. If it has legs I’m sure he’s interviewing workers as we speak.

5 Likes

So was West Coast Prime’s website just updated or is it incorrect? B/c I don’t see Belcampo listed as a supplier.

I know someone who works at belcampo butchery . Northern California. Yes they did have to buy from other companies. To supply food .

1 Like

I dont blame her, I blame the corporates who invested into the company to force them to grow.,

Not so fast…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPUU30VnOTQ/?utm_medium=copy_link

Interesting comments on this IG feed.

Choice screen shots here:
TL:DR: Anya and managers assured customers their supply chain was well stocked throughout pandemic. Many employees had to sign NDA.

Personally only ate at the burger at GCM once. But if I were a customer I would be pissed.

5 Likes

If there has been company-wide fraud, that ought to come out pretty fast. They have a lot of employees in a lot of locations. If that turns out to be the case, the appropriate comparison’s not Sqirl but Theranos.

Per a 2017 Forbes article, at that time they had the slaughterhouse and seven restaurant / butcher shops, and growth was not pushed on them by outside investors but rather something Fernald considered essential to the company’s success. I can’t find any information about investments after Todd Robinson’s original $50 million in 2012, though as a private company they’re not required to disclose that.

They announced a partner program in June of last year in the middle of lockdown.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200616005267/en/Belcampo-Meat-Co.-Launches-Partner-Farm-Program-to-Support-Mission-to-Create-a-New-Certified-Humane-Organic-and-Regeneratively-Farmed-Meat-Supply-Chain

Google found what looked like an Instacart page for West Coast Prime selling Belcampo, but I guess I misread it. The Twitter post isn’t entirely clear, then. Did Belcampo ship him things labeled West Coast Prime? Or did West Coast Prime ship him things labeled Belcampo?

1 Like

just confirmed with instagram whistle blower @nela_butcher that he indeed has spoken with @joe_rosanthal… and he just said it’s going be rough week for belacampo. get your :popcorn: ready…
https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17899226872901800/

4 Likes

I don’t see anything about Joe Rosenthal there, or anything else that’s not a day old.

Please refrain from antisocial-media echo chamber postings on this site. That’s what Instagram and Twitter are for.

I had never thought about co-founder(s) vs. investors in this situation. It will be interesting to see what comes out and who points fingers at whom.

I think it’s just a sad situation overall. :frowning:

4 Likes

You had the same thought as me. Over the weekend, as soon as I saw on Instagram, I thought, fuck it, I’ll send to Joe Rosenthal.

2 Likes

Is it strange that Eater LA hasn’t reported on it?

1 Like

No. They’ll write a good in depth article but it will be after all the facts are out.

3 Likes

Agreed. Not so sure how many sources they can get in a short period of time to churn something out now. All they can report now is the surface stories everyone else is publishing.

1 Like

I’m sure they’re working hard to get the real story.

That’s the problem with professional journalism, you can’t just repeat potentially libelous allegations from anonymous sources. That’s what Instagram and Twitter are for.

1 Like

Grub Street has a story that rehashes the SF Chronicle’s reporting. No new information.

In the early months of the quarantine, I ordered the double cheeseburger from the SM location when I wanted to treat myself with something different and special. I did it because I trusted them (for a variety of reasons). It’s also where I go to buy a small 4 oz filet when I want to make a steak salad. Neither are less than $25. I’m thoroughly disgusted by this news.

2 Likes

What’s anonymous about the source? A butcher with a name who worked at the SM location and who provided video of the meat in question? Sure, it could be a massive set up, I suppose. In my mind, if Eater isn’t at a minimum mentioning that Belcampo is in the news, I don’t know what Eater is here for.

I would be furious if I shopped there. The two times I went the prices were outrageous that is why I didn’t get anything. One small steak was more than I was paying at harvey guss and the other time I went to get hamburger meat it was some crazy ass price. I left and went to Marconda.

1 Like

There is different type of reporting, I don’t know why this is confusing for you. Think about NY Post vs a daily newspaper vs Time magazine.

Go back and look at their Koslow coverage. Eater didn’t write hardly anything early on, then wrote an in depth piece covering all angles as well as a follow-up on not giving proper credit to her chefs

1 Like