Best bread in a restaurant?

No, def the bread. IIRC, @bulavinaka had mentioned that the bread he got/saw bordered on too charred. For me, it was def too dark. Again, this was yrs ago so perhaps things have changed.

1 Like

No, just clueless. You don’t much like bread, so you don’t appreciate what makes one loaf better than another or why the good stuff, which you don’t appreciate, costs so much.

2 Likes

Er, I do think the posters who called out your omission had a good point.

JMHO.

1 Like

I said nothing about anyone else being clueless.

I think typical Napa Valley wines with >=14% alcohol and lots of new oak taste so bad that I usually have to spit them out and rinse my mouth. So I don’t drink them. I don’t keep drinking them, then go online and tell people who like those wines that they’re bad and overrated.

5 Likes

@LouisianaMouth

I totally forgot about the zucchini bread at Green Street until you mentioned it on the other thread.

For chains, I (used to) love Mimi’s Cafe carrot cake bread (haven’t been to a Mimi’s in 10+ yrs, so no idea if it’s changed or not).

2 Likes

Building on the chain-bread-that-used-to-be-good theme… the focaccia at Louise’s used to be stellar. We ordered take-out recently for the first time in 10+ years, and it was… not stellar.

Cut has great bread. I love the fresh Italian rounds at places like Il Forno (Santa Monica), Pomodoro (Westwood), and Da Pasquale (BH). Capo has a very good bread basket. Lawry’s isn’t technically “great” but it hits right with a mound of whipped butter.

And one more vote for Lodge being very good bread.

1 Like

Bread and butter at Horses

4 Likes

Looks exactly like Acme levain. Is that the full $8 order?

That bread to butter ratio

1 Like

Yeah full $8 order. I didn’t ask if it was made in house or sourced. Perfect though for what I ordered. Sweetbreads and then gorgonzola cappelletti.

Lol I know I didn’t even realize the horse imprint at first because I was so impressed with the amount of butter. I finished it all. It was worth it

2 Likes

exactly1 pathetic but clearly a sign of the times when bread and a quality butter/lard or whatever is offered as an appetizer!

I lived at the top of 17th St/Cole in SF for most of the 80s and Tassajara was my morning coffee stop and bread pick up late afternoon…jeez, what a loss!

burned…the only time I went in there I experienced so much bullshit attitude wafting through the place I never went back…this aint the 80s…better bring your “A” today!