Best chile relleno

who’s got it? this something i can’t make.

1 Like

La Azteca Tortilleria?

6 Likes

Agreed. Even putting aside the fabulous tortilla for the burrito, which on its own is worth stopping by to get, the relleno itself is outstanding.

This is going to sound really horrifying… but I have discovered the Chile Rellenos at The Market by Superior on Washington Near Crenshaw to be as good as my moms. This is going to be a reheat at home situation… but whomever is cooking them there… is amazing. They are right when you enter, packed two per. Look for the ones that aren’t leaking ‘juice’ that will help the coating from getting too soggy. Then, just reheat int he microwave. You can add some tomato sauce or not. Eat on top of rice or just with a tortilla or a smear of beans into a burrito… and be happy for how easy it is. The store isn’t bad either… it’s an upscale version of Superior (Which is as downscale as you can get…)

For something warm, a little down the street on Pico and La Brea is Rubio’s Bakery. It’s also a steam table kinda operation, but their chile rellenos are legit. They also recently added a really nice outdoor seating area. Their baked goods are okay.

Finally, La Guelaguetza has one that is filled with chicken that is one of my favorite things there. Always worth ordering.

–Dommy!

14 Likes

If you can, go during the weekday. Weekends can get really busy and currently they don’t accept call in orders.

I get the burrito at La Azteca all the time. Not looking for a burrito.

it truly does, but will try them, I hope your mom makes some bomb ass chile relleno.

2 Likes

She really does… it’s all about the capaedo. Some of them are too thin. Some of them are too tough. It’s a mix of nice spongy capaedo, rajas and cheese that makes a bit of Chile Relleno heaven.

Hope you enjoy! Luckily I only go down there when i hit Surfas (About once a month), otherwise I’d be having Chile Rellenos for lunch every week… LOL!!

1 Like

I go there often for cheap veggies and fruits. Never saw them.

Oh wow! They are right in front when you walk in a chest refrigerator with the grab and go sandwiches, salsa, beans and rice.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-market-by-superior-los-angeles?select=93woTUp280G9nwXxw3GcbA

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-market-by-superior-los-angeles

4 Likes

thank you. will try it later this week. what kinda sauce to put on it? Tomato? what about enchilada sauce? How many in a pack. sorry for asking so many questions!

Two per. Depending on on what I have on hand, I perfer to eat them with Mexican Fried Tomato Salsa. It’s a non spicy salsa that is just a skillet with a good amount of olive oil… Sautee some onion and garlic. Add in some chopped up fresh roma tomatoes and cook down. Add some salt and a pinch of mexican oregano. And then you can eat it chunky has is or blend it. Here’s a step by step…

I find enchilada sauce too clashing… but you can maybe add some mole sauce if you have some on hand. Or Bean sauce like I make for my enfrijoladas. Because for me, it’s really about having easy eats at home. I have not been above eating it with some left over Trader Joes bruschetta (Jarred)

I got the chile relleno today! Delicious! Thank you.

Oh yay!! So glad you liked it! After all this talk, I’m now wanting to go down there next week to pick one up as well. They use an excellent cheese that is just so tasty!

OMG. I am so sad. I went to Surfas this week and decided to swing by The Market after a month or so away and was horrified to discover that they changed the chile rellenos!! These are for sure industrial made an maybe even frozen! The coating looked chalky and dense. :frowning:

The ones in the deli looked better, but they were covered in sauce. I liked getting them unadorned because I could be flexible with how to serve them. with Tortillas or rice or even with a fried egg on top. Ugh. I’ll head to Rubios in a few weeks and reacquaint myself to their Chile Rellenos…

2 Likes

Oh NO! I almost went last week but ended up getting something else. Bummer!