Best Chocolate Cake in LA?

Curious what the prevailing views are here.

I recently tried Lark Bake Shop, and frankly didn’t love it. I felt the cake was dry. I’ve had Republique’s, and came away wishing it was a bit lighter and more caramel, loss chocolate, but it was still quite good.

2 Likes

My brother enjoys the version at Sweet Lady Jane.

It’s been a while but Proof has a epic chocolate espresso cake. So good.

I too enjoyed my Republique’s cake. Just wish I had some ice cold milk

3 Likes

That cake at Proof is phenomenal.

Unfortunately Proof stopped making that cake. Not on the menu and when I emailed and asked last year, they said it was discontinued.

1 Like

RIP Proof chocolate cake. That was a phenomenal slice of cake. Y’all got great taste.

The chocolate lava cake at Matsuhisa (yes, Matsuhisa) is surprisingly crave-worthy.

This Chocolate Cake is an oldie but really goodie.

2 Likes

The chocolate cake at the Palm Restaurant is extraordinarily good. They don’t make it in-house and I forget where they source it.

They do a chocolate raspberry cake sometimes. And I think I’ve also had a flourless chocolate cake.

From an old Chowhound post, I see that the Palm Restaurant’s multilayer chocolate cake comes from a business called Sweet Treats Bakery. Not sure of the location, though I seem to recall Freeport, PA (we bought an entire cake during the first month of lockdown).

1 Like

Bumping this topic. Also looking for a delicious chocolate cake for my daughters birthday. Sweet Lady Jane and Susie Cakes are close along with Doan’s but I don’t mind traveling to pick it up and I’m not against ordering on Goldbelly.

2 Likes

Republique - 3-Layer Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake

Bea’s Bakery (Tarzana) - Old-school Chocolate Cake - chocolatey, moist, layer of fudgey ganache and cocoa & powdered sugar frosting.

4 Likes

You could pick up SusieCakes a day or two before and keep it refrigerated and it’ll hold up well. Just follow the instructions and set it out to come to temperature.

3 Likes

… {dreaming of coconut bars and tea biscuits (tea cakes) }

2 Likes

Thanks a lot LOL!

1 Like

Thanks, they’re my go to for all things cake but looking for a new spot.

1 Like

So happy you suggested Bea’s. I’ve wondered about their cake and needed a rec from someone on here to get me to try it🙏

1 Like

I checked the website. It’s called Chocolate Shaving’s Cake - Chocolate Cake w/Dobash Filling, Fudge Icing, Choco Shavings, dusted w/Powdered Sugar. :hearts: Enjoy!

1 Like

Don’t sleep on their rye bread or onion pockets while you’re there.

They also have a traditional pumpernickel raisin sold in 5 - 8 slice packs. Bagged and sitting right on the counter. Excellent toasted.

1 Like

I don’t know about the best in LA but it’s pretty reliable and my style, which is to say dark (black) and dense- Jon & Vinny’s. It’s mostly for when I’m in need of cake at night (why there are no decent cake spots open after 4pm in the area I will never understand) and when I’m not going there for cookies. Republique’s and Proof’s are fine but I’m not always in the mood for caramel and I’m not a fan of espresso… I usually just want chocolate as is with the only variable being the frosting as sometimes I like white frosting. J&V’s is a luscious chocolate on chocolate that comes with a side of vanilla bean creme anglaise.

3 Likes